• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Was silver filigree used on pistols?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolfkt

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Silver filigree was use on high grade knives, dirks, sword pommels in the 1700-1800, in europa . But I've never seen it used on blackpowder weapons.

Has anyone seen it used? If not, any idea why it wasn't used?

I'd would have thougth silver triggergards and buttcaps for dueling pistols would be ideal for this?

Best regards

Rolfkt

If you look thru the book "COLT Single Action From Patersons to Peacemakers". This book is by Dennis Adler. there are maybe hundreds of pictures of colts that show siver filagree(sp) and engraving. Mostly it's the presentation models, but still they are real purty. A great book on colts.

I once owned a flintlock pistol found in the mountains of Sothern Calif. It had silver filigree in a floral pattern all over the barrel.
Caliber 60 to 65.

I think there migth be some misunderstanding about silver filigree is. Real silver filigree work are patterns of twisted silver wire solder on to a base plate of sterling silver. Here are
pictures of a silver filigree pipe I made and some knife bolsters I'm working on.

slv002.jpg

slv004.jpg

Best regards

Rolf

That's some absolutely gorgeous work! I can see where it would be useful on a high grade, decorative pistol. If I ever get my building and decorating skills where I want them, I hope to build some fancy ones.

After looking thru several books which show old pistols I haven't seen filigree used on any of them.

There has been a lot of engraving, chiseling, wire inlays, ivory, gold, and silver inlays used but no filigree.
That may be due to the common methods being more durable than fine twisted wire?

I suppose if someone were to look at some of the pistols made for Royalty they might find it used but most of those guns were never intended for actual use. They were more a symbol of wealth.

Back