• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Walmart CCI caps misfire

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry you Guys have problems with CCI craps..I gave up cci after an Inter National Clay Shoot at Chur years ago. I don't know if Fiocci caps are available in Your side of the Pond BUT they do go BANG every time ..They are hard so need a good strike..They are also corrosive so need a good clean at the end of the day out.. Nothing quite compares to the Old foil lined caps of the 18 / early 1900's. We used to have rings of Plastic caps for toy six shooters. They were the GO_TOO answers for a misfire.. OLD DOG..

use only BLACK or T 7-, TRIPPLE 7. IT WILL IGNITE. take your PYRODEX & POUR IT ON YOUR LAWN!

To me the simplest answer is CCI caps are different than Remington caps in size. Your Remingtons probably fit the nipple better. If the CCIs aren't fully seated they will fail to fire or maybe hang fire. You might check that first and if they aren't going on fully or if they fire after a second hit of the hammer try turning down the nipple slightly to get them down on the nipple more. For instance number 10 Remingtons will not be the same as CCI 10s.

If you have to switch back and forth between brands you may want to use two different nipples and have them in a bag market for each. Kind of PIA, but at least then you may have reliable ignition.
This is my experience also. Different caps work better with different nipples. I was recently Shooting a CVA mountain rifle that I picked up at a gun show for the first time and went through 5 CCI caps that didn’t go off. I change nipples and every one of them have gone off without a hitch. Turned out that the first nipple didn’t allow the cap to fully seat down, too tight. It is better being slightly loose and pinching the sides in to keep them on.

This is my experience also. Different caps work better with different nipples. I was recently Shooting a CVA mountain rifle that I picked up at a gun show for the first time and went through 5 CCI caps that didn’t go off. I change nipples and every one of them have gone off without a hitch. Turned out that the first nipple didn’t allow the cap to fully seat down, too tight. It is better being slightly loose and pinching the sides in to keep them on.
You probably had a nipple that had mushroomed. Often the caps will go off on the second try. The new nipple solved the cap fit issue. Often the old nipple can be trimmed or filed at the tip of the nipple so the cap fits properly. Lots of discussion in other threads on how to trim the tip of a nipple to get rid of the mushroomed top. Changing to a new nipple gets you a proper sized cone and a properly small hole for the flame to pass through and avoid blow back. Original Italian nipples can be a bit over sized and should be replaced since they were designed for a slightly larger Italian cap. CVA locks have notoriously soft mainsprings. They will be acceptable in a percussion gun, but the caps have to be a perfect fit. If you try to use a musket nipple and musket caps to get a hotter cap flame, you have to be sure to align the nose of the nipple with the much larger musket cap. Often that alignment process can be quite frustrating with the recess in the nose of the hammer being almost the diameter of the musket cap. Much better off with an after market #11 nipple in my opinion. #11 caps are much less expensive than musket caps.

I also am having issues with CCI caps in my revolvers and rifles I never had an issue with Remington caps but now no one has them.I just have a little trouble with everyone not recognizing its the cap not the gun I only started having issues when i had to start using CCI caps and the same goes for the other guys i shoot with we all didn’t get stupid at once after shooting BP for over 40 years.And we did a test with Remington caps no issues wit CCI we had a lot of no fires and that was with a group of 5 experienced shooters.

We have not been having problems with CCI caps at our club. For a while they were the only caps regularly used other than the time we could only find Winchester caps. Recently we can't find CCI caps and some members are using RWS caps.

I have a EuroArms revolver that won't fire CCI or RWR #11 caps, but will fire CCI #11 Magnum caps. Unfortunately the nipples are sized for the #11 caps and I get cap fragments jamming the action. I'm going to try some nipples with longer cones that are sized for #11 caps.

You need to get a piece of fine piano wire to make a nipple pick out of. Just don't let the music teacher catch you cutting a piece out of their piano; they really hate it when they can't hit that high 'C' above the staff, LOL!
I use my girlfriends tooth brush to clean the nipple I put it back before she notices. so far I have not got caught lol

As mentioned above the nipple may have mushroomed. Even a new nipple only lasts about 100 shots before being dressed. Had this problem with both a sidelock pistol and rifle. That being said, no. 11 caps are different diameters rws seems to be the tightest followed by cci, Remington and Winchester are similar. The nipple may also be oversize i’m sure there is a tolerance in the machining of them

So I have a clean gun and nipple. I took a closer look at the nipple and it may have been mushroomed a little. Took a fine file and sand paper to it. Caps sit farther down now. My father, who lives next door, has Tripple7 FFFG so I will try that in the next day or two to see if it dose bettter.
So with it being about the same driving distance for either Tripple7 or Goex what do I buy? I read a lot of mixed reviews. I want something that goes bag consistently and cleans out the best.
I am mostly a hunter. Yes I will target shoot in the off season but not a lot. Also storage is a question. What stores better?
Thanks

I had the same issue a while back. The issue isn’t where you bought the caps from, it is the caps themselves. I measured both CCI and Remington caps. Both caps measured .062 inches in diameter. However the CCI caps measured .065 inches tall while the Remington caps measured 045 inches tall. This allowed the Remington caps to sit all the way down on the nipple. The CCI caps didn’t sit all the way down. Them when the hammer hit the CCI caps, they would go off sometime and sometime not. Then when they did go off, they would plug the nipple and not ignite the powder. I learned that different nipples had different shapes. On the ones that the CCI caps didn’t go off, I filed down the diameter of the nipple (keeping the same shape) and haven’t had any issues since, ant this has been many hundred of shots ago.

I prefer real BP. I can buy it from my shooting club cheaper than the store and it actually goes off in my flint guns. Keep it dry and away from heat ( your furnace) and in the original can and it will be fine

I had the same issue a while back. The issue isn’t where you bought the caps from, it is the caps themselves. I measured both CCI and Remington caps. Both caps measured .062 inches in diameter. However the CCI caps measured .065 inches tall while the Remington caps measured 045 inches tall. This allowed the Remington caps to sit all the way down on the nipple. The CCI caps didn’t sit all the way down. Them when the hammer hit the CCI caps, they would go off sometime and sometime not. Then when they did go off, they would plug the nipple and not ignite the powder. I learned that different nipples had different shapes. On the ones that the CCI caps didn’t go off, I filed down the diameter of the nipple (keeping the same shape) and haven’t had any issues since, ant this has been many hundred of shots ago.
I think I will give that a try nothing to loose

Something I learned years ago is to seat the the cap, bring the hammer down and apply pressure. I shoot 60 rounds in matches and only get at most two mis-fires with CCI caps. Remington caps are much better if you can find them. I use Schutzen caps in my musket, have not had a misfire in years.
Happy Shooting!

So I have a clean gun and nipple. I took a closer look at the nipple and it may have been mushroomed a little. Took a fine file and sand paper to it. Caps sit farther down now. My father, who lives next door, has Tripple7 FFFG so I will try that in the next day or two to see if it dose bettter.
So with it being about the same driving distance for either Tripple7 or Goex what do I buy? I read a lot of mixed reviews. I want something that goes bag consistently and cleans out the best.
I am mostly a hunter. Yes I will target shoot in the off season but not a lot. Also storage is a question. What stores better?
Thanks
I would buy GOEX 3fg powder. It will be the easiest to ignite. Real black powder fouling cleans up easily with water and a little bit of dish soap. Then dry with a clean patch and use Barricade as rust inhibitor.

If you are not doing a lot of shooting the GOEX black powder in its original can will last a lot longer than Triple Seven or Pyrodex.

Caps and ammo sold at Walmart are the same as sold everywhere else. They are not "seconds".

If they are popping, tbe problem is elsewhere.

Do you immurse the breach in soapy (prefferably hot) water, so water is pumped in and out the nipple when you clean the barrel, or just use wet patches down the muzzle?

If the latter, the firing channel is plugged or partially plugged.
If you are using powder pellets in a side lock - DON'T. Powder Pellets are harder to ignite than loose powder. They are intended for inlines, and have an easier to ignite core.

Back in the 1980's I had problems with Pyrodex loads, regardless of what non-magnum cap I used.
A switch to real black powder "cured" the problems.

Use real black powder, if you can get it. If you can't get real black powder, and have to use any of the synthetic black powders, such as Pyrodex, only use magnum caps.

CCI #11 and RWS musket caps have never failed me. Like ugly old guy said: " If they are popping, the problem is elsewhere" .

Guys that have trouble with Pyrodex are using a nipple designed for real black powder. Pyrodex is twice as hard to ignite as real black.

You can test your work on the nipple and see if it worked by simply snapping the cap on an empty barrel. If you are in town, you may want to do it in a basement or garage. Be sure to wear hearing protection because in a closed space they are loud. Also, as always point the muzzle in a safe direction even though the gun is "unloaded." If a couple pop consistently you probably won't have any problem igniting powder.

Never had any problem with CCI caps. i presently use Black MZ powder, stuff lights every time using CCI caps when the rifle is loaded correctly. When cleaning the rifle i remove the nipple and clean the flash channel with a bristled pipe cleaner,

When hunting i use CCI caps. The Remington caps i have are notorious for losing the primer pellet. Remington caps also don't fit the nipples on my rifles well, unless pinched and bent before capping, they will fall off the nipples.. The Remington caps, which i have a big bunch, are used for target practice.

I've used CCI caps for years. They were what was available at a long gone local place that carried bp stuff back in the late '90s when I was starting out. Last batch of #11 I bought was a couple or so years ago from Graf's and no problems with them either. I have heard CCI musket caps are worthless now, so when I got near using up the last of my old batch (the old hot 6 wing style) I picked up a 1000 Schuetzen musket caps from Graf's, which work fine too.

Back