• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wall hanger identification

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Sparky

40 Cal
Reaction score
I have had this rifle over 30 years it has been a wall hanger. I always assumed it was a 32 Caliber squirrel rifle. But it measures out to be .345. The inside of the lock says made in Italy. I never heard of a 34 caliber squirrel rifle. but I guess that's what it is. Does anyone know what this thing is. It was acquired in the mid-70s. Maybe it is a kit maybe it is a one-off. Does anyone know what this thing is? I am getting ready to start shooting it and I'm trying to figure out what size balls to order.310 balls are ridiculously loose even with a patch.

Attachments

• 20230816_133214.jpg
    20230816_133214.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230816_132933.jpg
    20230816_132933.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230816_132904.jpg
    20230816_132904.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230816_132845.jpg
    20230816_132845.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
I have had this rifle over 30 years it has been a wall hanger. I always assumed it was a 32 Caliber squirrel rifle. But it measures out to be .345. The inside of the lock says made in Italy. I never heard of a 34 caliber squirrel rifle. but I guess that's what it is. Does anyone know what this thing is. It was acquired in the mid-70s. Maybe it is a kit maybe it is a one-off. Does anyone know what this thing is? I am getting ready to start shooting it and I'm trying to figure out what size balls to order.310 balls are ridiculously loose even with a patch.
The etching on the lock is kinda cool....

Initially, I recognized the sideplate. Then, after downloading the photos where you can see the entire rifle and seeing the patchbox, lock and barrel pin bezels (not the right name, I know) it's easy to see it's a Hopkins & Allen Minuteman. I had one in the early 1970's and, through the help of a forum member, bought another one about 8 years or so ago. They were available in flint or percussion and in several calibers, as a finished rifle or in kit form. Mine is supposed to be a .45 but is actually a .44 so I can't help you with a suggested ball size but since you've measured the bore you should probably start with a ball 10 thousandths undersized and start experimenting with patch thickness, powder charges - you know: the usual stuff. Good luck! Have fun!

Looks like the flint is too big and doesn’t even allow the frozen to close.

Initially, I recognized the sideplate. Then, after downloading the photos where you can see the entire rifle and seeing the patchbox, lock and barrel pin bezels (not the right name, I know) it's easy to see it's a Hopkins & Allen Minuteman. I had one in the early 1970's and, through the help of a forum member, bought another one about 8 years or so ago. They were available in flint or percussion and in several calibers, as a finished rifle or in kit form. Mine is supposed to be a .45 but is actually a .44 so I can't help you with a suggested ball size but since you've measured the bore you should probably start with a ball 10 thousandths undersized and start experimenting with patch thickness, powder charges - you know: the usual stuff. Good luck! Have fun!
Thank you very much. The main spring was broken on the lock I managed to make a new one. It's working out pretty good so far, can't wait to release some smoke

There is actually enough extra wood on that rifle to make it really pretty. A rasp, file, reshape and scrape, that rifle could look really good.

If the barrel was made in Italy as part of a working firearm, it should have Italian proof marks on it somewhere.

Correct - as a fully working firearm, this is true.

However, for kit guns, where the barrel and breech plug were separate items, then it would not have been proofed. It might have a serial number on it, and might just be undrilled.

Italian and Spanish-made kits leave it up to the builder to 'proof', using the old tyre/tire and string method.

I remember this gun well from the late 1960's to mid 70's. The flintlock locks were problematic on many. I think DGW made a replacement lock for a few years.

Rick

I remember this gun well from the late 1960's to mid 70's. The flintlock locks were problematic on many. I think DGW made a replacement lock for a few years.

Rick
When I pulled it out of the spare room and started messing with it as soon as I pulled the cock back the main spring snapped. I ended up making a new one since I happened to be a blacksmith.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230817-185242_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230817-185242_Photos.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 0
Is it rifled or a smooth bore? Get some drill bits that are not buggered up. Insert the shank part. That will enable you to know what the bore is. As I have learned, If it is rifled, your ball should roll in and out of the barrel without any patch. Happy Shooting!

Interesting finish. It looks like they wrapped a wire around it and heated it to do faux striping, but it actually burned into the wood or was so tight it just indented it. Or, that was a lot of file work…

Interesting finish. It looks like they wrapped a wire around it and heated it to do faux striping, but it actually burned into the wood or was so tight it just indented it. Or, that was a lot of file work…
I am thinking angle grinder then a torch. They must have burnt the whole thing and then sanded it down to leave the cracks. I remember whenever I was a kid I thought it was intricate work. I still do like the look of it

Back