• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Virtual Woodswalk, Ends April 15th

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro224

Reaction score
Here's something I have been wanting to do for a while, an on-line/postal woodswalk. :)

Scenario;
You are an Eastern hunter/backwoodsman out to explore new hunting country. Everything you will use is what you can carry with you. You are traveling alone and on foot. You begin your journey cold and hungry. Your very life depends on your own skills and brains (and luck).

Woodswalk Rules;

The virtual woodswalk is open to all muzzleloadingforum members.

Read the target list at home and assemble all of the required items.

Assemble your virtual possibles and PT (title it "woodswalk") a complete list of everything in your possession to me.(you do NOT need to actually have the items, it's all make-believe :wink: ) Also list all items you will carry on your belt and/or in your shooting bag. (you WILL need to actually have the items in the shooting bag, the shooting is real). The items in your lists are the only items that may be used on your woodswalk. Plan carefully, think ahead.
Include your mailing address in the PT so I can send you your packet in the mail.

The woodswalk may be shot with any traditional(sidelock) , open-sighted (no peeps) muzzleloading firearm , or revolver of a design produced before 1865.

The station packets will NOT be opened until you begin the shoot. The envelopes will then be opened for each station sequentially.

All shooting is to be done "from the bag". This means if it is not on your person it cannot be used. No range-rods or shooting boxes. Gun, shooting bag, horn, haversack ONLY.
You will need to fire ten shots to complete the match, if you make it that far. :haha:

Once you begin shooting, the entire match must be finished the same day regardless of weather, gun failures, etc. If you are forced to stop shooting the match is over for you. Tally your score up to that point.

This is an individual competition. If shooting in a group, each individual is responsible for his own equipment and targets. NO sharing or helping.

Each station will have specific instructions for placing targets, loading, shooting etc. Do not load until after reading the instructions for each station.

There will be scoring instructions for each station. You may score positive points, minus points or zero points at each station.

If you are told to discard an item it is lost to you until the end of the match or until further instruction stating otherwise.

If you incur a penalty it will be in effect until instructed otherwise.

Do not read anything into the instructions. Just follow them as written.

Read the instructions for each station twice(or more) if necessary to make sure you understand them completely.

You may shoot the match at any time between now and April 15th. You must report your scores and return your targets and score sheets to me by April 30th. Targets received after April 30th 2011 will be disqualified.

The match is designed to eliminate you from competition. It seeks to depict the harsh reality of life in the wilderness for a man on his "own hook".

If or when :haha: you are eliminated, tally your score up to that point ONLY! Make note of when you are eliminated. You may continue to finish the shoot just for fun but the scores will not be added to your tally.

In addition to the packet you will receive by mail, you must supply the following items for yourself.
Target List;
1. Roll of strong tape. Duct, packing, masking, etc.
2. Two dowel rods suitable for a target stand. You will stick them in the ground and attach a string to the tops. Several of the targets will be taped to the string.
3. String.
4. One 20oz soda bottle full of water.
5. One empty 2-liter soda bottle.
6. One wooden toothpick.
7. A pen or pencil for score-keeping.
8. Two uncooked, uncracked eggs.
9. A place to shoot up to 50 yards.
These items may ONLY be used as instructed. They are not to be used for any other purpose.

I bid thee a safe journey. :hatsoff:

Return targets by April 30th to;

Jim Green
P.O. Box 22
Pekin, IL 61555-0022

Rule addition in red to include revolvers.

OK. I'm in. Couldn't get the Nose target shot but this one I can very probably get done without sleet, ice, snow, closed ranges, and travel.
Gotta work on that PT now.
Pete

It's obvious that Jethro is snowed bound and has too much time to think up stuff like this. :hmm:

I gotta read the rules again but count me in. :thumbsup: GW

I love this stuff. Count me in. I'm away early April at an event my friend has and calls "Boys Weekend in the Mountains". It's a get away from it all, relax and play weekend. We shoot and have a great time. A few of them shoot ML. Might get them to try this, get them interested and they might sign on the Forum. Do we send you our list or keep it for ourselves? :hatsoff:

Do we send you our list or keep it for ourselves?

Just send me your lists in a PT. Ya might want to keep a paper copy with you while you shoot so ya remember what you "packed".
Sending me your lists will keep anybody from adding stuff as they go along.
Remember to pack everything you will need but not much extra stuff you won't need. You're traveling on foot and carrying all of your own gear. There MAY be penalties for totin' too much foofarraw... :idunno: :haha:

I just realized that I forgot to add the 2 eggs to the list of supplies. :redface: I edited the original post to reflect this. I'll hafta double check later and make sure I didn't leave anything else out...
:idunno: It was late when I typed this up...

This will be my first event, and it sounds like a good one. I'm in.

btw..I'm a Western hunter. :idunno:

Welll... I suppose you can be Western if ya gotta.

Glad to have you join in. Just send me the PT with your lists and address and I'll get a instruction/target packet headed your way. :thumbsup:

OK working on it. I'm in.
Lists to follow as soon as I make sure I actually unnerstan' the directions. :yakyak:

Question:
Are we thinking one day here, or an overnighter where I need to list things like oilskin/slicker & blanket or am I over thinking this? :hmm:

In real life you will finish the shoot in the same day.

In your virtual pack you should plan on an extended stay for an indefinite period of time, at least a week.
You will mostly eat off the land and you need to be able to carry all of your gear on your own back.

Private Topic. Click on the "user options" below Jethro's picture and you'll see the it. It's a way to communicate in private. GW

Capper said:
Are we suppose to keep our items in our persona era, or what we would have today?

All of your virtual gear should be correct for the period. No modern stuff.

Jethro, I can't participate in these shoots but if you ever need a hand in setting things up let me know. I'm certainly available.

Thanks for the offer Swampy. :hatsoff:
I'll keep that in mind. There have been a couple times I coulda used a little help. Mostly thinkin'. :haha:

Hope you don't mind but I started a spin-off thread that this one gave me the idea for.
(See "What's in yer wallet?" in the accessories sub-forum.).
Maybe these 2 combined will help those of us that are beginners & not reenactors to get a good load out for this. :)

Latest posts

Back