• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Veteran Arms Lancer Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hlhanna

The South Is Rising Again!
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Just got in a Lancer single shot from Veteran Arms.
Haven't shot it yet, I was wondering if anyone had one and what charge they used.
3293565782.png

I am a huge Lancer fan, so I bought some of their .308 mags. Nah, not worth it. I have better luck with my wildcats using DPMS mags and in the standard calibers, the Lancers are about an inch longer than the DPMS mags and don't perform one bit better. I do like the Lancer 10R mags better than any other .308 10R mag I have tried but only the 19 round DPMS mags allow me to shoot from a bench without resorting to 10R mags. CP, Brownells, Magpul, and Lancer are all too long to shoot from a bench whereas the DPMS 19R just barely allow it in all my calibers. The Lancer 10R mags are ideal for bench shooting though.
I am having trouble finding the magazine well on my pistol...

I like the look of those, I keep almost buying one

I had a sea service British pistol. .62 with a little longer barrel. Shot 40 with buck and some small. I never hunted with it but I bet the buck would do great at up to ten twelve yards
I am going to try buckshot, and buck and ball, I bet that would be pretty effective at close range.

Interesting...Where are these made?

Veteran Arms guns are mostly made in India. The company has a decent reputation and good customer service.

I did a quick search but my google-fu isn't good enough to find the original load. Do you plan on using military style cartridges or patched balls? The way I decided on my An IX load was using a chronograph to measure speeds. I didn't go for the most powerful load, just the load that seemed optimal. It takes a surprising amount of powder to get large caliber balls moving, especially if you use unpatched balls.

My guess would be between 40-60gr depending on ball/patch setup. Fg powder worked the best in my 69 caliber pistol but FFg would probably work fine in yours.

Last edited:
I am a huge Lancer fan, so I bought some of their .308 mags. Nah, not worth it. I have better luck with my wildcats using DPMS mags and in the standard calibers, the Lancers are about an inch longer than the DPMS mags and don't perform one bit better. I do like the Lancer 10R mags better than any other .308 10R mag I have tried but only the 19 round DPMS mags allow me to shoot from a bench without resorting to 10R mags. CP, Brownells, Magpul, and Lancer are all too long to shoot from a bench whereas the DPMS 19R just barely allow it in all my calibers. The Lancer 10R mags are ideal for bench shooting though.
Wrong forum bud.

This ain't ar-15.com.

I've found that in these smooth, big bore pistols that about 30-35 grains of FFG works pretty well. They're not much good past about 15 yards. But that's all they were made for.

Rick

Veteran Arms guns are mostly made in India. The company has a decent reputation and good customer service.

I did a quick search but my google-fu isn't good enough to find the original load. Do you plan on using military style cartridges or patched balls? The way I decided on my An IX load was using a chronograph to measure speeds. I didn't go for the most powerful load, just the load that seemed optimal. It takes a surprising amount of powder to get large caliber balls moving, especially if you use unpatched balls.

My guess would be between 40-60gr depending on ball/patch setup. Fg powder worked the best in my 69 caliber pistol but FFg would probably work fine in yours.
I think I start with the 40, then work up, as you said.
I am going to try it with ball, buck and ball, and buckshot. May even try some bb shot.

I think I start with the 40, then work up, as you said.
I am going to try it with ball, buck and ball, and buckshot. May even try some bb shot.

Bare or patched?

I use paper cartridges, which have advantages and disadvantages. Advantage of a cartridge is speed and ease of loading. Cartridges are especially good if you shoot with people who are used to modern guns and get bored easily. Another plus side to the cartridge is that new shooters can load the gun without risk of dry balling or excessive powder. Downside to cartridges is that accuracy suffers quite a bit. You aren't going to win any competitions shooting a paper cartridge with a severely undersized ball. But in my opinion, cartridges are just more fun!

Also, if you decide to go with a bare ball. Use a ball that's around 0.04" smaller than your bore. I use a 0.65" ball in my 0.685" guns and can shoot for hours without any fouling issues. (Although I found the guns shoot better if the bore is cleaned every 5 or so shots)

Bare or patched?

I use paper cartridges, which have advantages and disadvantages. Advantage of a cartridge is speed and ease of loading. Cartridges are especially good if you shoot with people who are used to modern guns and get bored easily. Another plus side to the cartridge is that new shooters can load the gun without risk of dry balling or excessive powder. Downside to cartridges is that accuracy suffers quite a bit. You aren't going to win any competitions shooting a paper cartridge with a severely undersized ball. But in my opinion, cartridges are just more fun!

Also, if you decide to go with a bare ball. Use a ball that's around 0.04" smaller than your bore. I use a 0.65" ball in my 0.685" guns and can shoot for hours without any fouling issues. (Although I found the guns shoot better if the bore is cleaned every 5 or so shots)
I am more comfortable with paper cartridges, and I don't expect a tackdriver. Minute of man is plenty accurate for a horse pistol!
It is supposed to be .62, so I figured about a .60 ball. Do you reckon that will be ok?

I am more comfortable with paper cartridges, and I don't expect a tackdriver. Minute of man is plenty accurate for a horse pistol!
It is supposed to be .62, so I figured about a .60 ball. Do you reckon that will be ok?

If it's actually a .62" then I would use a .58" or smaller ball. Anything bigger will cause problems once some fouling starts to build. Measure your bore with some calipers before you pick a ball size.

Lee makes a double cavity .575" mold that would be a good inexpensive choice. Another option is ballmoulds.com, he makes decent custom ball molds from brass.

My two 69 caliber guns are .685" at the muzzle and I've been using a .65" ball with decent results. Accuracy is "minute of man" at 50 yards with my 1777 musket and the An IX pistol is "minute of man" at 15 yards. I have noticed accuracy does start to drop off after 5-6 shots if you don't swab the bore.

Here is a recent 3 shot "group" I fired at 10 yards with the An IX. (first shot is low left and the other two are right next to each other). I had some trouble getting the first shot off (oil on the frizzen) so I may have pulled the first shot.
P1000604.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back