• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Loyalist Arms vs. Veteran Arms flintlock pistols

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My next flintlock pistol is probably going to be either a British Sea Service or Dragoon pistol, ordered from either Loyalist Arms or from Veteran Arms. Is there anything I should know to influence my choice of vendor - regardless of any difference in price? Thank you for your input.

I never bought anything from Veteran but I can’t praise loyalist enough
Ethan at 11 Bang Bang channel has had real good luck with veteran
You do have to drill your own touch hole
Loyalist drills for you and goes over the gun

I never bought anything from Veteran but I can’t praise loyalist enough
Ethan at 11 Bang Bang channel has had real good luck with veteran
You do have to drill your own touch hole
Loyalist drills for you and goes over the gun

Veteran arms drills their touchholes, i believe they sell and ship to FFL’s (if required), so they do sell what would be considered a firearm.

@vetarms

Last edited:
VA also goes through whatever they sell before you get it, not sure about the other outfit/source.

I have 3 from them ... all 'oddball designs' that no one makes as a complete build of (hand mortar, blunderbuss & matchlock), less unbuilt kits costing $1,000s from The Rifle Shoppe (if ever in stock ... ).

Zero complaints with any of them and on the 2 flintllock locks, both were completely serviceable 'as is', although I myself further tuned the locks to my liking.

Veteran and loyalist use the same builder. Difference would be in house tuning prior to shipment. Veteran guarantees their frizzens so you never need to worry about a shoe or rehardening, should it be necessary just mail them back the frizzen. Loyalist is in Canada so IF you need to mail them back a complete gun you could be dealing with Canada issues on mailing across the border. Both ship direct to your door, no need for an ffl. Any other questions feel free to ask.

Veteran and loyalist use the same builder. Difference would be in house tuning prior to shipment. Veteran guarantees their frizzens so you never need to worry about a shoe or rehardening, should it be necessary just mail them back the frizzen. Loyalist is in Canada so IF you need to mail them back a complete gun you could be dealing with Canada issues on mailing across the border. Both ship direct to your door, no need for an ffl. Any other questions feel free to ask.

https://veteranarms.com/ordering-shipping

In most cases, muzzleloading muskets and pistols that are reproductions of pieces manufactured before 1898 may be shipped directly to the purchaser with no need to have the transfer handled by an FFL. A handful of other states and cities have additional requirements.

These include, but are not limited to: New Jersey, Hawaii, Washington DC, Illinois, NYC, and others. We can still ship to these locations, but may require additional information or need to ship the piece to your local FFL for final transfer to the customer. Feel free to contact us with any specific questions. Of course, we cannot keep track of all changes to law in all states, and it is the customer’s responsibility to know and understand laws related to their state of residence.

https://veteranarms.com/ordering-shipping

In most cases, muzzleloading muskets and pistols that are reproductions of pieces manufactured before 1898 may be shipped directly to the purchaser with no need to have the transfer handled by an FFL. A handful of other states and cities have additional requirements.

These include, but are not limited to: New Jersey, Hawaii, Washington DC, Illinois, NYC, and others. We can still ship to these locations, but may require additional information or need to ship the piece to your local FFL for final transfer to the customer. Feel free to contact us with any specific questions. Of course, we cannot keep track of all changes to law in all states, and it is the customer’s responsibility to know and understand laws related to their state of residence.
Seriously? OK so maybe 1% "might" need to go thru an FFL but that is as they say the customers responsibility to know the law where the customer lives.

Point being IF someone lives in these areas there will be NO difference between sellers as the rules would apply to both sellers. The original post was regarding differences to choose one over the other.

Point being IF someone lives in these areas there will be NO difference between sellers as the rules would apply to both sellers. The original post was regarding differences to choose one over the other.

This statement makes no sense, no difference between sellers as the rules would apply to both sellers…. Perhaps you need to restate yourself.

Seriously? OK so maybe 1% "might" need to go thru an FFL but that is as they say the customers responsibility to know the law where the customer lives.

That would be 10%, and large component of gun buyers in the Untied States, actually more like 12-15% if you include the others.

try to not create imaginary numbers, thats a terrible habit that can result in costly mistakes.

Last edited:
That would be 10%, and large component of gun buyers in the Untied States, actually more like 12-15% if you include the others.

try to not create imaginary numbers, thats a terrible habit that can result in costly mistakes.
On average 1000 guns a year with less than 5 going requiring ffl. I figured I would round up to 1%.

In regards to the other not making sense. Allow me to try to clarify . . .

If you live where an FFL is required then it is required no matter who you order from, thus no difference. Still confused, if so I'll try again to explain it.

On average 1000 guns a year with less than 5 going requiring ffl. I figured I would round up to 1%.

In regards to the other not making sense. Allow me to try to clarify . . .

If you live where an FFL is required then it is required no matter who you order from, thus no difference. Still confused, if so I'll try again to explain it.

Oh boy you went from counting states to counting gun sales, talk about conjecture here.

Hopefully you don’t ‘round-up’ when you’re working on stuff.

There are 14 states that require gun permits to purchase through an FFL, Veteran Arms states 5 and other’s that require FFL shipments to. You stated NONE then redacted 1%, thats not possible, your ‘arbitrary’ number is based on a false assumption and nobody should assume that; and that’s not include what some states consider a handgun.

I’ll set aside the confusion here and just take it on good faith that you mean well, but i will take credit for brining you along.

Last edited:
Yes I was going by sales rather than areas as I figured since you objected it was more relevant.

It sounds like you are saying there are 14 states that require flintlocks to go thru an FFL. That is quite a few more than I believed. Perhaps you would like to share that information?

Latest posts

Back