• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Very stuck minie ball, tried everything having to pull the breech plug

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 1861 Springfield that has an exceptionally stuck minie ball. Like it’s bad. I tried blasting it out atleast 10 times it hasn’t moved. I tried the grease gun but the grease went around the minie so that didn’t work. I broke two ball pullers of on the ball, JB welded the last puller into my rod and it still stripped the puller. I took it to a gunsmith with air and pullers and he couldn’t budge it. I tried soaking it in soapy water, rem oil around it to penetrate the ball and it is just not coming. I guess im going to send it to a gunsmith like lodgewood to yank the breech plug. Is this a big deal? Anyone know any gunsmiths that can do it in East TN?
IMG_4116.png

Did you dry ball it? When you say you tried to blast it out, what do you mean, with air, with powder?

The Doc is out now, but will look for your answers to diagnose your problem. :cool:

Did you dry ball it? When you say you tried to blast it out, what do you mean, with air, with powder?

The Doc is out now, but will look for your answers to diagnose your problem. :cool:
I used 60gr pyrodex because that’s what the shop told me to use. Well NOW I know it’s not always the same. My first shot of my first BP rifle didn’t fire. So a guy at the range has 3fff that got it out I then tried it again but wouldn’t fire, and he had left. I tried 4fff I ordered but it wont get it out. The gunsmith tried a nitrogen tank? And said it wouldn’t work

I have a 1861 Springfield that has an exceptionally stuck minie ball. Like it’s bad. I tried blasting it out atleast 10 times it hasn’t moved. I tried the grease gun but the grease went around the minie so that didn’t work. I broke two ball pullers of on the ball, JB welded the last puller into my rod and it still stripped the puller. I took it to a gunsmith with air and pullers and he couldn’t budge it. I tried soaking it in soapy water, rem oil around it to penetrate the ball and it is just not coming. I guess im going to send it to a gunsmith like lodgewood to yank the breech plug. Is this a big deal? Anyone know any gunsmiths that can do it in East TN?View attachment 315922
Is the Minie seated all the to the breech?

Pyrodex is not black powder. Okay. Remove the nipple. Turn the gun sideways to the nipple hole is facing slightly down. Tap on the barrel to try to remove as much of the Pyrodex as you can. Refill as much as you can with 3 or 4F. If it is just a few grains of 3 or 4F, you will not be over-pressuring your barrel, but, it should help to remove the bullet when you now fire after replacing the nipple. Also, are you using musket caps?

The Doc is still around.

Pyrodex is not black powder. Okay. Remove the nipple. Turn the gun sideways to the nipple hole is facing slightly down. Tap on the barrel to try to remove as much of the Pyrodex as you can. Refill as much as you can with 3 or 4F. If it is just a few grains of 3 or 4F, you will not be over-pressuring your barrel, but, it should help to remove the bullet when you now fire after replacing the nipple. Also, are you using musket caps?

The Doc is still around.
I’m really not trying to be rude but Doc, I’ve tried all that. The powder won’t remove it. The grease killed any pyrodex in it, with the water and oil killing it even more. The wall of the minie skirt isn’t up against the barrel and lets powder, water, air and grease around it so combustion and pressure isn’t building to sling the ball out the barrel. I’m using the multiple uses CCI caps NOT the reenactor ones. The caps work because any powder that I stuff in it is gone after I fire it

I have a 1861 Springfield that has an exceptionally stuck minie ball. Like it’s bad. I tried blasting it out atleast 10 times it hasn’t moved. I tried the grease gun but the grease went around the minie so that didn’t work. I broke two ball pullers of on the ball, JB welded the last puller into my rod and it still stripped the puller. I took it to a gunsmith with air and pullers and he couldn’t budge it. I tried soaking it in soapy water, rem oil around it to penetrate the ball and it is just not coming. I guess im going to send it to a gunsmith like lodgewood to yank the breech plug. Is this a big deal? Anyone know any gunsmiths that can do it in East TN?
Sorry to hear you are having such a tough time especially when you are excited about this new experience. First of all JB weld is good stuff but will not keep a ball puller on your rod. The puller needs to be JB welded AND cross pinned through the puller and rod. Another suggestion is to forget the Pyro and get real black for the future. None around, then I would send for some. JMO.
Hope you get that barrel cleared!
Larry

OP, are you sure there is powder under the stuck minie?

Did you lightly seat the minie ball, or put the super saiyan slam on the ramrod like the ootoobers do?

If you slammed the ramrod, the minie is now fully formed to the bore/riflings and will be very hard to remove.

And I understand that you are not trying to be rude. Sorry, just went to YouTube for a few minutes of tornado videos.

At this point it sounds like you are going to need to weld a screw to a steel rod to screw into the bullet to try to pull it out. You will need to clamp the barrel in a vice and put some sort of object on the rod to be able to smack it from behind the muzzle end to be able to pull it out.

A frustrating experience to be sure but I know it will come out. Let us know when you get it out.

The Doc is out now. :cool:

OP, are you sure there is powder under the stuck minie?

Did you lightly seat the minie ball, or put the super saiyan slam on the ramrod like the ootoobers do?

If you slammed the ramrod, the minie is now fully formed to the bore/riflings and will be very hard to remove.
So it easily dropped down the barrel because .575, then I normally tapped it with the rim to tap it in, then after each misfire I made sure it didn’t move. I would say I beat it in just seated it like you would normally do a minie. There was 100% powder under the ball but that is long dead or removed now

I have a 1861 Springfield that has an exceptionally stuck minie ball. Like it’s bad. I tried blasting it out atleast 10 times it hasn’t moved. I tried the grease gun but the grease went around the minie so that didn’t work. I broke two ball pullers of on the ball, JB welded the last puller into my rod and it still stripped the puller. I took it to a gunsmith with air and pullers and he couldn’t budge it. I tried soaking it in soapy water, rem oil around it to penetrate the ball and it is just not coming. I guess im going to send it to a gunsmith like lodgewood to yank the breech plug. Is this a big deal? Anyone know any gunsmiths that can do it in East TN?View attachment 315922
First order of business is to make sure there is no burnt powder residue left in the barrel causing rust to quietly form under the oil you put in the barrel trying to get the bullet out.
Next, just send it to someone who knows about working on antique muzzleloaders to remove the breech plug and drive the bullet out.
Spend the money on professional work for a gun and job like that.

Last edited:
First order of business is to make sure there is no burnt powder residue left in the barrel causing rust to quietly form under the oil you put in the barrel trying to get the bullet out.
Next, just send it to someone who knows about working on antique muzzleloaders to remove the breech plug and drive the bullet out.
Spend the money on professional work for a gun and job like that.
Looking at lodgewood gunsmithing rn, gonna run me about $150

Unless you measure the bore, or have a set of different size minies, you have a tough time knowing what the bore is. I've seen them from .569 to .589.
Mine uses a .578, and it's a modern reproduction.
I'm guessing the minie is covering the nipple vent. So no amount of powder or compressed air will remove it.

Latest posts

Back