• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Verner kit done!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juancho

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Finally I'm done :grin:
I took a couple of pics to share , if you want to see more just ask.It is very tedious to upload for me since I'm on dial up .No hyspeed in the midlle of nowhere :(
HPIM2313.jpg

HPIM2317-1.jpg

Is a green mountain barrel .45 swamp 44".
The wood to metal fit is impecable, even if I say it. I'm very happy, but I must admit that I grossly underestimated the degree of dificulty.My previous build was in 1981 and was just slaped together and varnished.Yes you get the picture :barf:

She looks good...

The thing about taking your time and coming out with a rifle that looks like that is it was worth every minute...Nothing else you could have done with that time would look that good... :thumbsup:

I only got to shoot it 20 rounds or so,just to file the sight down.I zero it at 35yds with 20 grains, and found that she likes a clean barrel.It is mostly one raged hole at that range.
The reason for that short range and small charge is that it is the load I need to use for small game ,as I have a upper limit of 400 FPE at the muzzle as per regulations.With that load I am still subsonic and makes it even more accurate.
If I break the sound barrier I'll be too close to the max allowed for comfort.
I have to do a lot more testing at the club when I have time.I need to find a good hunting load for deer, so I'm going to go in small increments up to 100grains.I'm geesing that 100grns should give 2050 to 2100 fps, based on my other .45

"as I have a upper limit of 400 FPE at the muzzle as per regulations.With that load I am still subsonic and makes it even more accurate.
If I break the sound barrier I'll be too close to the max allowed for comfort."

Can you explain the regulations that require you to stay subsonic?

Paul

as of 2011 in Ontario you cannot use a firearm of greater power than 400 fpe at the muzzle for small game when there is an open season for big game.Before that it specify that no greater than .22LR or shotgun loaded with lead bigger than #2.
I enquire before about a muzzleloader rifle and the answer was that I could't use it period.
No big deal if it was only during deer season , as it is too short to begin with, but it so happen that the area I hunt has a bear season that runs from begining of September to end of November.
My question was why sould I be forced to buy a bear tag to be legal for small game based only of my choice of weapon.Mind you that coyotes and wolf are considered small game.
Without a bear tag you could't have being able to go for them either unless with a 22LR.
20 grains gives me 980fps or about 270 FPE at the muzlle and 820 fps at 50 yds(190 FPE).Hypower airguns are use in many places for deer with even less power than that, so I feel OK if I run into a gray wolf or coyote.Going to 30 grains would give me around 402 FPE, it is so accurate with only 20 that there is no need to change that for me.

Wow!, I hadn't heard of that one. I guess too many slobs were "hunting small game" when they were really "loaded for bear". Sounds like another 'knee jerk' regulation that Ontario is so good for.
I hear what you are trying to do, but in an 'enforcement situation', could you prove that you were 'loaded down' to a legal level? Not trying to jerk your chain, but an unknowlegable CO could spoil your season, or worse. Just saying.
Paul

I personaly spoke with the enforcement oficer for my area and had a good conversation over the phone.
Is a long story , but at the end it boilds down to the oficer discretion.I carry with me the print outs from the crony for my load, my crony in the track and a medium to stop the projectile to be examined by such oficer.
The guy I spoke to, had no clue of the new regulation and even less about balistics.I recomended to him to dig deeper into the mater to fid out why He was not informed , to wich He agreed.It is not something they like to do to isue tickets for things in such a gray area , unless you are being an idiot.
My biggest question to them was ,what is the list of comercially available calibers and combination of points allowed now? They unintentionaly open the flod gates in the mater.

Sounds like an interesting discussion for another forum area.

Hopefully we can get back to talking about the Verner rifle? :)

Latest posts

Back