• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone Know much about this R. Nesbitt 1981.30-.32 cal Barrel? came in kit.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a shot in the dark for you.

Mike Nesbitt, noted writer of muzzleloaders and such things, wrote of a Hawken style rifle his father built for him he called Ol' Horsefeathers. I don't recall his father's first name but it may have started with the letter R.

Mike is from Washington State I believe. Could it be possible Nesbitt's father had started another gun he'd never finished but had the barrel engraved with his name as part of the building process?

I don't know Mike Nesbitt personally. I did meet him once in the shop of Ted Fellowes many years ago. It might be worth a try to contact Nesbitt and ask the question. I've no idea how to contact him but you might try through Muzzleloader Magazine, if they're still around.

Cranky old farts. Lol welcome to black powder.
Nice kit you did good. Find someone to put that together for you. It will be a family heirloom In a few years

Oh THAT Mike Nesbitt— he has a column in every muzzleloader magazine
He has written about his club’s range which I assume to be south of Seattle, west of the mountains.
I was going to contact him when I move up that away, whenever that may be.

Hello from Spokane, Wa. I'm so very new to BP but my son and I would like to get into it. Hence he purchased a BP used rifle from the local gun shop. So in talking to my buddy about it he mentioned that he had a BP flintlock rifle kit that he didn't plan on ever building and said I could have it. So after a month of so he finally came buy and I gave him all my leftover radio control stuff for the BP rifle kit. The kit was just a stock, barrel taped to stock, and zip loc bag of the other parts that he had. I can include photo's later if needed, however I was just wondering if anyone had herd of or seen a small caliber flintlock rifle with a barrel that says R Nesbitt 1981 on it? There has been no flash hole drilled and tapped, and the flash pan and such is missing. There were 2 complete lock's in the bag as well as trigger, trigger guard, wedge pin to hold barrel to stock, a long peice of steel that is concave on one side. I think it's for mounting under the barrel for the ramrod. I may be willing to trade this "kit" to someone for either a complete kit of lesser value, or complete used rifle of any cal. I'm not set up to actually finish this flintlock kit as there are a lot of tools needed to complete. I think that is why my buddy never messed with the kit. Any Ideas or offers. If interested in trade I'm happy to include or add photos. Thanks,,,
If I put this in the wrong thread I do apologize.
Welcome to the site! I also am a radio control nut and a BP shooter/history nut, you have found the right spot to get what info you need, some of the guys can be a little gruff but pay no mind, the man well....most! My opinion is to get in touch with a local club of muzzle loaders and get their take on what you have/need. Good luck!

Hello from Spokane, Wa. I'm so very new to BP but my son and I would like to get into it. Hence he purchased a BP used rifle from the local gun shop. So in talking to my buddy about it he mentioned that he had a BP flintlock rifle kit that he didn't plan on ever building and said I could have it. So after a month of so he finally came buy and I gave him all my leftover radio control stuff for the BP rifle kit. The kit was just a stock, barrel taped to stock, and zip loc bag of the other parts that he had. I can include photo's later if needed, however I was just wondering if anyone had herd of or seen a small caliber flintlock rifle with a barrel that says R Nesbitt 1981 on it? There has been no flash hole drilled and tapped, and the flash pan and such is missing. There were 2 complete lock's in the bag as well as trigger, trigger guard, wedge pin to hold barrel to stock, a long peice of steel that is concave on one side. I think it's for mounting under the barrel for the ramrod. I may be willing to trade this "kit" to someone for either a complete kit of lesser value, or complete used rifle of any cal. I'm not set up to actually finish this flintlock kit as there are a lot of tools needed to complete. I think that is why my buddy never messed with the kit. Any Ideas or offers. If interested in trade I'm happy to include or add photos. Thanks,,,
If I put this in the wrong thread I do apologize.
is that a full or half stock?

i always thought Mike Nesbitt was a member of The Monkeys.
i swapped the OP out of this stuff. I will post finished pictures.
it is a half stock. not sure what to call it as to form.
very nice Maple. locks need some loving but work. made the barrel wedge plates today.
has a single trigger setup that trips at 4.5 lbs. just right for me.
the barrel is sweet. if i hadn't broken a .062 drill bit off in the vent while drilling it, i would have shot it today.
now have to drill it out for a vent liner. not what i wanted. oh well.

i always thought Mike Nesbitt was a member of The Monkeys.
i swapped the OP out of this stuff. I will post finished pictures.
it is a half stock. not sure what to call it as to form.
very nice Maple. locks need some loving but work. made the barrel wedge plates today.
has a single trigger setup that trips at 4.5 lbs. just right for me.
the barrel is sweet. if i hadn't broken a .062 drill bit off in the vent while drilling it, i would have shot it today.
now have to drill it out for a vent liner. not what i wanted. oh well.
You already got the stock all finished? Man your quick. At least you knew what you were doing. I had no idea and am more then happy with the hawken rifle. My son's BP rifle is also a 50 so we can share materials. I picked up my first .44 revolver from Cabelas the other day. They didn't quit have the model I wanted but purchased the 1858 rem navy with brass frame. The only other revolver they had was a .36 cal. I almost purchased that one as it was all steel frame but this one should work for a starter. Don't forget to send me photos of the finished item. Sorry to here you broke a bit drilling out the flash hole.

So I just wanted to thank those of you that made BB offers as well as giving me advice as well as suggestions concerning my first thread that I have posted here. Sincerest apologies if I offended anyone how and where I posted my question. I haven't even fired any BP firearm since I was a teenager, which was many years ago. I still haven't found the classified section.

Yeah I got Into trouble a few years ago.about posting guns for sale. Have a number of thompson guns
When Thompson center was bought out by smith and wesson. They took all the barrel making eq out. That's want they wanted the drilling,reaming rifling machines
And shut down the plant in nh. So the head of the dept moved to green mt rifle barrel making compant in Conway NH.
He was an interesting person. I was never very impressed with the accuracy of thompson rifles and told him so.as I worked for green mt.needless to say he never liked me. Lol

Back