• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

USPS Fiasco

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old post new question. It might have been answered already.
Does the USPS pay for a claim if the item is a black powder gun? I’ve been told that buying insurance on black powder guns is a waste of money. That they will not honor a claim for such items?
I can’t imagine how they would deny it when it’s completely within their rules to ship it?

I'm the OP. This was a real learning experience for me and the forum member I was trading with. USPS tracking showed acceptance of package and the scan when it left the Regional Office in San Antonio, TX. Then it vanished. We followed up both here and at the NY State destination. The package he sent me (via UPS) arrived in a few days but nobody could find the one I shipped. The package was insured for $1,300 and a claim was filed after the required time. The claim was denied because of "Lack of Proof of Value". I got a letter of appraisal from a reputable muzzleloader shop in Arkansas and filed an appeal that was once again denied as "Lack of Proof of Value". The upshot is that since no money changed hands (money order, PayPal, etc) for which I had a receipt, it was my word against theirs as to value. I was out $1,300 plus the shipping cost and insurance fee.

The end of the story is that more than 2 MONTHS after I shipped the package and long after I paid my trading partner cash for the gun he sent me, the missing package finally arrived in New York State. The Fusil de Chasse inside was undamaged. Nobody seems to know where it had been all that time. But, all's well that ends well. Right?

So, keep in mind that Proof of Value thing. Probably the best thing to have done would have been for both of us to have sent each other a USPS money order for the agreed upon price of our guns. But who knows?
John

I'm the OP. This was a real learning experience for me and the forum member I was trading with. USPS tracking showed acceptance of package and the scan when it left the Regional Office in San Antonio, TX. Then it vanished. We followed up both here and at the NY State destination. The package he sent me (via UPS) arrived in a few days but nobody could find the one I shipped. The package was insured for $1,300 and a claim was filed after the required time. The claim was denied because of "Lack of Proof of Value". I got a letter of appraisal from a reputable muzzleloader shop in Arkansas and filed an appeal that was once again denied as "Lack of Proof of Value". The upshot is that since no money changed hands (money order, PayPal, etc) for which I had a receipt, it was my word against theirs as to value. I was out $1,300 plus the shipping cost and insurance fee.

The end of the story is that more than 2 MONTHS after I shipped the package and long after I paid my trading partner cash for the gun he sent me, the missing package finally arrived in New York State. The Fusil de Chasse inside was undamaged. Nobody seems to know where it had been all that time. But, all's well that ends well. Right?

So, keep in mind that Proof of Value thing. Probably the best thing to have done would have been for both of us to have sent each other a USPS money order for the agreed upon price of our guns. But who knows?
John
I much prefer buying from people I can pick up from. Had a rifle shipped to me vis USPS and was on pins and needles til it showed.

I have found the following:

If it stays within the region, no issues.

If it goes through Atlanta (or the southeast) it is a 50/50 chance of damage, 25% chance of being lost or stolen

If it comes from the NorthEast, it will take one of several routes and take way too long and a 10% chance of getting lost

Great Lakes or mid-west having to transit Chicago, not unlike South East. No Chicago, transit no problem

From Texas/New Mexico/Arizona it "depends on the moon"

I have found the following:

If it stays within the region, no issues.

If it goes through Atlanta (or the southeast) it is a 50/50 chance of damage, 25% chance of being lost or stolen

If it comes from the NorthEast, it will take one of several routes and take way too long and a 10% chance of getting lost

Great Lakes or mid-west having to transit Chicago, not unlike South East. No Chicago, transit no problem

From Texas/New Mexico/Arizona it "depends on the moon"
Exactly on the Texas, I shipped a package out on the 22nd to KY and it shows still in transit.

Old post new question. It might have been answered already.
Does the USPS pay for a claim if the item is a black powder gun? I’ve been told that buying insurance on black powder guns is a waste of money. That they will not honor a claim for such items?

I made one claim on a damaged Renegade within the past decade. I was afraid that if I requested the total value of the item, they would want to keep it. I obtained an estimate to repair the stock for $75 which they cut a check for. I did the work myself and relisted the gun for $75 less than I paid. It was a pristine T/C that had never been shot so the damage killed the value.

Walt

Last winter I noticed a .40 flintlock on the For Sale forum that really caught my eye. I'm getting old and have a bum shoulder so a .40 sounded like a good idea. I contacted the owner and we agreed on a trade, his .40 for my Centermark Fusil de Chasse. I packed up the FdC and used USPS Click-N-Ship to create a label for Priority Mail and insured it for $1,300.00. On Feb. 23rd I handed the package to a clerk at our local post office. It should arrive at its new home in the Adirondack Mountains of NY in about 4 days. My new rifle, shipped via UPS, arrived promptly and in great shape. USPS tracking indicated the FdC cleared the San Antonio, TX regional center. Then it disappeared. Days, and then weeks, went by without further scans showing up on tracking. I initiated an inquiry with USPS. No result. My new friend in NY was very understanding and patient. After the required amount of time had passed I filed an insurance claim for $1,300.00. Then things got interesting. The USPS denied the claim saying I failed to provide adequate "Proof of Value". I had provided a link to a French smoothbore for sale by Track of the Wolf. Not sufficient. I appealed and got a letter of appraisal from H. Dykes Reber at The Muzzleloader Shop, Ltd. in Arkansas. Again, the USPS denied the claim based on inadequate proof of value. Would the USPS continue to flatly deny the claim on a package they LOST? Or were they planning to settle for a lesser amount? Luckily, we didn't have to find out. On May 3rd, more than two months after I handed the package to the clerk in Texas, it arrived at the post office in Johnstown, NY. The FdC was undamaged.

To say this was a learning experience is an understatement. How does anyone establish irrefutable proof of value on a hand-made muzzleloader, especially in a straight trade transaction? Should we both have paid dealers to sell the other party our gun for us so we would each have had a receipt? According to the USPS, a sales receipt would have been proof of value. Or would they have found another excuse to deny the claim? Be very careful, my friends.
John
This would be a MUCH shorter string of posts if only those have HAD USPS pay an insurance claim had responded.

Glad I went UPS when I shipped (insured) a .58 investarms to a member last week. Now Im scared though and checking my pirate shop acct as to where it is along the eay. FUNNY post on "depends on the monn" in AZ. He is soooo right. 14 days to get a stamped emvelope to CO (thats ONE state away)??

"This would be a MUCH shorter string of posts if only those have HAD USPS pay an insurance claim had responded."

Is that the goal? I enjoyed each post, brings yer mind in line when choosing a method of delivery

The pony express only took 10 days to deliver a letter from St. Joseph MO to California. 🤪

I had read autobiography of a free trapper that was working the area of Fort Hall in Eastern ID.....He came out to the Boise Valley and then decided, upon conversation with someone, that the Carson Sink in NV was a place to check out. it took him 11 days round trip. spent one day there and decided it was "no bueno".

5 days travelling one way. I got a package shipped from Carson City that took 12 days. I called the company to complain and cited the trapper trip that I could have made it on horse back just as quick if I left here to pick it up!

Mailed out a PMO on 6/14/23. Bought it, dropped in an envelope, turned around and dropped it in the mail slot. (was for a kit that one of the members had for sale) Figured maybe as week to got to MI?
Never showed up. Seller probably figured I was full of s*** and as Scam artist?? :oops:
Got a PM this morning, PMO FINALLY showed up!! :D Surprise Surprise!! Will wonders never cease!!
Come to find out, "I" had transposed the #s on the address. :( PO couldn't figure out what to do being that the sellers name was on the envelope and only a few houses on his block?? (DUH) ???
Good things go to those that wait. (rather that looking for someone to kill) ;););)

A few years ago I had a year where it seemed every other package was delayed for some reason or another. I had a small package I forget from where wander around Chicago for 4 weeks. I watched it via USPS tracking. Another package from the UK came via Canada and did the trip in 4 days. Another package bounced back and forth between Detroit and Chicago 3 times. Passing my home each time.

I have found the best thing to do is get your local PO on your side. Start by saying "I know this isn't your fault but...." Then march up their chain of command. On one of my packages I actually spoke with a Post Master General in Washington DC. That package was trying to go from Florida to Michigan and was MIA for 6 weeks.

Writing elected officials does little good unless they're involved in an investigation or building a case against the shipper. But be sure to ask, you may get lucky.

Back