• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

unorganized and possibly useless rambling about pattern testing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Baron

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm up early, enjoying the peace and quite before my offspring hit the deck. But, the slow burn of summer has me overthinking the details of crisp autumn days to come... so I might as well create a long post of nothing for all to enjoy.

I settled on 3F many moons ago and have been shooting that exclusively for about a decade in my 20ga smoothie. So long, in fact, that I forgot why I abandoned 2F and so decided to do some 2F vs 3F pattern testing. Including... after much talk and threatening... a test of Skychiefs "special" load with an EVOO soaked fibre wad on top of the payload. I've still got more testing to do, but I'm learning and seeing a trend. My conclusions thus far, you ask?

1. Shooting flintlocks is way more funner than those guns they sell in stores.

2. Skychief's special load does seem to tighten patterns. So, to you Mr. Skychief... :hatsoff:

3. 2F is definitely dirtier that 3F. After firing 2F, there's a lot more scale/flaked crud in the bore. Not a problem cleaning it out after each shot, but I could see it really building up if one doesn't do so.

4. You can throw the same loading at paper twice and get mildly different results each time. No reason to think this wouldn't happen, but point being one throw does not a conclusion make.

5. My gun doesn't seem to have any clear preference for 2F vs. 3F when throwing patterns.

6. 1 part powder to 1.5 parts shot seems to be the "sweet spot" for my gun. That is, about 80gr 2F and 1 1/2 oz. shot seemed to be about right and adding more shot (I tried up to 2oz.) actually resulted in fewer hits in my center circle.

7. Modest powder charges seemed to produce tighter patterns. I started patterning with fairly stout charges (100gr 2F and 80gr. 3F) but patterns seemed to improve when I backed off the powder charge slightly. I'll be focusing on 65-70gr. 3F and 75-80gr 2F next outing, with about 1 1/4 - 1 1/2oz shot.

8. Just as a baseline test, I did one pattern with a plastic shot cup ( :barf: ). The result was very surprising, mildly confusing and quite pleasing as well - it was terrible, among the poorest patterning of all the loads I tried.

9. I'm going to hunt squirrels this fall. (yes, you needed to know that)

10. There is no number ten. But kudos to you for pushing past the title of this thread and enduring my rambling all the way to the end. :thumbsup:

Happy Canada Day! :v

#1) Agree big time. :grin:

My results pretty much parallel yours. I'm a moderate charge guy. The 1 1/2 ratio seems very effective. But, I'm using 2Fg, mainly because I have a good stock and should probably use up. My charges are in the 50-70 gr. range.
Howesomever, since casting up a bunch of pot metal .590" balls that weight about 30 gr. less than lead my results may change.

I like your observations; and I am a fan of rambling, unorganized, desultory philippic posts. Quite helpful, too.

Happy Canada Day!

Baron... burning powder is good for the soul..

only adder...When pattern testing a swabbed bore shoots the most consistent.

This really applies when shooting 1,1.5,2 ff powders= more fowling

Without a good seal your wasting powder.

Carry On!

IMG_0238_zpse85eb694.jpg

Yes, agreed on the swabbing. I swabbed the bore and wiped out the pan thoroughly (almost an official cleaning) after each and every shot. I just plain felt better shooting from a clean bore each time, and loading of course was smoother and easier too. I figured if the load glides down into a clean bore better than a dirty one, it likely leaves the same way.

Nice smoothie and grouse! :hatsoff:

Thanks for the ( :hatsoff: ), Baron. You seem wired a bit like me, in that, you find patterning an enjoyable process. It's a fun endeavor to me.

Keep monkeying and best of luck to you! :thumbsup:

Skychief.

I'll read any of your ramblings on patterns baron, I received my first flintlock smoothie today a TVM fowler which I have been anxiously awaiting since November. I am brand new(basically) to smoothbores and can use any and all info I can get. I also plan to hunt squirrels this fall,and turkeys,cottontails and a week hunting grouse north of Sudbury.

OMG, another flintlock hunter in the Province - and with a smoothie, no less?! :) I'll shoot you a message. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back