• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Blunderbuss heavy load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJohnson2023

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I tested out a new load for the traditions .54 blunderbuss based on someone's .54 smoothbore hunting load in another thread. I used
60 grains hodgon's triple 7 3f granulation( I don't want to hear it about not using real BP)
.54 wool wad over powder
80 grains of shot(#6)
and a wad over shot
At 20 yards the pattern had 30 average hits into what I consider the kill zone. I also skychiefed it by soaking the front wad(2 wads glued together) in olive oil, and I believe that made the pattern much more uniform and had far fewer game sized holes in the pattern.

Let me know what you think

I load 50 grains of 3f Goex in mine and that is plenty powder. That short barrel doesn't need a lot of powder to make it go.

While I know I could likely hunt with the blunderbuss, I would be much more comfortable using my .56 renegade or the trusty dusty old .410 Pardner suppository gun for small game.

Latest posts

Back