• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cornmeal Grouse

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My son and I tested some cornmeal recipes today. Hopefully, my depiction of Grouse isn’t too subjective.

First shot was my normal load: 65 grains 3f, shot card, 1 1/8 oz #6 with another shot card at 20 yards.

Second was the same powder load, 65gr of cornmeal, 1 1/8 oz # 6 and a card.

Third shot was same powder load, shot card, cornmeal, shot card, shot, shot card. What really surprised me was how much more pressure nothing more than a couple extra shot cards produced and it did seem to have the best pattern of the three.

I know that shooting once isn’t very scientific as it was all just for fun. I’d never tried cornmeal before and I may try it again someday. The jury is still out. I suspect the cornmeal would be better ON the Grouse than at the Grouse.

Lastly, I challenged my son to a roundball volley. He totally flinched which is the shot on the left. I also missed but I ALMOST beaked him. It was all a great break from the sun and siding all day.

Pictures aren’t loading. I’ll keep trying. Hold please…

Attachments

• IMG_2755.jpeg
    IMG_2755.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Looks fun. When I saw the picture I was reminded of FT Lewis. Then I looked back and saw Tacoma. I could pick that area out anywhere.

Terrible reception tonight. I’ve been trying to load pictures for an hour. I think it keeps timing out.
Thank you for sharing.
I kinda think shot two has the best pattern, just not as well placed on the target as shot 3. Honestly, for that little difference, I don't know that I would bother.
I would be curious to see what happens for a few shots of you remove the card between cornmeal and shot, and a few removing the card between powder and cornmeal, but leaving the one separating the shot.

Will you be gunning for blue grouse that are sitting or roughed grouse on the wing?

My son and I tested some cornmeal recipes today. Hopefully, my depiction of Grouse isn’t too subjective.

First shot was my normal load: 65 grains 3f, shot card, 1 1/8 oz #6 with another shot card at 20 yards.

Second was the same powder load, 65gr of cornmeal, 1 1/8 oz # 6 and a card.

Third shot was same powder load, shot card, cornmeal, shot card, shot, shot card. What really surprised me was how much more pressure nothing more than a couple extra shot cards produced and it did seem to have the best pattern of the three.

I know that shooting once isn’t very scientific as it was all just for fun. I’d never tried cornmeal before and I may try it again someday. The jury is still out. I suspect the cornmeal would be better ON the Grouse than at the Grouse.

Lastly, I challenged my son to a roundball volley. He totally flinched which is the shot on the left. I also missed but I ALMOST beaked him. It was all a great break from the sun and siding all day.

Pictures aren’t loading. I’ll keep trying. Hold please…
Also,,,, you kinda did some of us dirty here with your title...
I opened it already getting hungry picturing some nicely cooked grouse in some kind of cornmeal crust or something.....

😉😆

That won’t be legal here until Sept 15th. I have to double check the regs.

We come across Blues occasionally, but they are usually at higher elevations than where I am typically. Ruffs and mushrooms are the main in early September. Kings and later silvers will be in the river, bear, deer and elk all roughly happen at the same time.

It’s all happening! (Soon)

Attachments

• IMG_2767.jpeg
    IMG_2767.jpeg
    16.8 KB · Views: 0
Second one looks good.
10 days till grouse opens here.
15 a day bag limit!
And yes, I have limited twice in 20 yrs, come close a few times.

Holy Smokes! Fifteen is hard to imagine! Our limit is four but has to be one of a second species. So realistically it is three. Washington State is ridiculous. They also delayed the season two weeks so the juvenile birds have two more weeks to mature and not get shot. I am doubtful two more weeks will provide the education the State is hoping for but the reduced dates will have the same effect.

With our governor and wildlife management pressing for more non-consumptive sports like mountain biking and hiking, I am surprised we even have any opportunity at all. The deer are non-existent, our river fisheries shut down. It all just keeps getting more difficult.

I suspect the non-consumptive sports will just get increased taxes eventually to make up budget deficits. These people will vote for anything!

Latest posts

Back