• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

underhammer rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodd

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Morning All- have been looking at underhammer rifles on the net.Beautiful and simple system.From my very limited impressions i gather they were not all that common.Given the simplicity and ease of manufacture (and one would think lower cost) of the lock I find it surprising that they were not a lot more popular.Are there any reasons for their relative lack of popularity compared to a side lock? I think I see one in my future but they are rare as hens teeth in australia--cheers zodd

Also if you can find this out of print book look for Underhammer Guns by Herschel C. Logan. Good book with lots of information, pictures and who made them. :thumbsup:

I don't know what your import/export laws are like, but have you seen "Muzzleloaders Builders' Supply"? Left side of page- underhammers. It's the basic lock parts kit. Just a thought, if your government allows that sort of thing.

steve

zodd,
underhammer rifles have been very popular since the mid 19th century, for some hunting rifles but more so for target and precision shooting applications. Billinghurst built some of the most accurate rifles to see competitive use. I, among many, use underhammers for target, as in chunk and bench, casual club shooting and trap shooting. As well, they can be shot by both left and right hand shooters. Most of mine are the simple trigger guard mainspring with a trigger and hammer. There are several sources for both parts and complete rifles. Depending on your import restrictions you might want to contact Pecatonica Arms in Las Vegas, Nevada, or the Log Cabin Shop in Lodi, Ohio.
Mark

Hi,
If you have the chance to get a underhammer get it, you won't be sorry.
A Hopkins & Allen UH will shoot with the best of rifles.
In most cases they are not as attractive a a fine Lancaster, but their ability to shoot a fine group is amazing.
Check this site. underhammers.blogspot.com
Best regards
Old Ford

Last edited by a moderator:
Toots said:
I don't know what your import/export laws are like, but have you seen "Muzzleloaders Builders' Supply"? Left side of page- underhammers. It's the basic lock parts kit. Just a thought, if your government allows that sort of thing.

steve

Sending parts is usually not problematic to the U.K. Some years ago a U.K. member here bought a Chambers kit a part at a time. It required help from a U.S. based friend but he was able to build himself a nice rifle over time.
Sometimes vague wording describing what is in the package is needed. Don't lie but don't be overly wordy either.
I once bought an original (1800s period), still in the white, barrel fron a London gunsmith. Since it was not breeched we just labeled it as a "steel tube". Not lying. But if it were breeched it would have had to be proof tested before shipping and would have required a ton of paperwork to send as a 'gun barrel'.

As mentioned the underhammer was used primarily for target rifles and since hunting was 95% of what guns were used for that explains the scarcity of that design. For hunting they do have a drawback. To cock an underhammer one must take the shooting hand entirely off the grip and reach forward to the hammer. That may seem a small inconvenience but most hunters would prefer a design which permits sweeping the hammer to full cock as the gun is coming up to the shoulder. The sidelock permits swift and certain gun mounting. The underhammer is a bit slow and awkward in that regard. It is particularly awkward for a pistol since it requires two hands to operate. Anyhow, that is my objection to both underhammer and side slapper locks, they are slow in handling. I'd not care to use either design for a fast handling bird gun and carry the same objection to those designs in a hunting rifle, although to a lesser extent.
I might add that I have built several underhammer guns and side slapper locks of my own designs. I'm presently working on an underhammer pistol using a trigger design somewhat like a double action revolver, requiring only a long trigger pull to cock and fire.

Joe: No question that cocking any underhammer or mule ear lock's hammer using the trigger finger or hand is slow. Why not cock the hammers with the FOREARM HAND BEFORE LIFTING THE GUN TO YOUR SHOULDER?

That is the way I have seen it done, and I have done, too. You can hold the trigger back with your trigger finger, while you move the hammer back to the Full Cock notch, hold it there while you release the trigger, which then allows the notch to engage the sear.

No noise.

Once cocked, you can mount the gun for any off-hand shot you want to take. :hmm: :bow: :thumbsup:

I've gotten so used to cocking the hammer with my Underhammer I don't notice. The deer don't either! :grin:

The nipples are tapered so if you press the cap down snug it should stay on. I have yet to have one fall off.

PA310403.jpg

Well here is my latest one!! :wink:

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

( the frame is heat blued.. the coloring in the pic is a bit off! )

Lordy mercy what a beautiful rifle!!!!! I built a similar rifle but it is not even in the same class as yours. Mine is strictly utilitarian.....nicely made but not a work of art like yours. Congrats on a beautiful job. :bow: :hatsoff:

Thats a beauty. Underhammers definately are fascinating rifles.

I'm presently working on an underhammer pistol using a trigger design somewhat like a double action revolver, requiring only a long trigger pull to cock and fire.

That could be a first. Very interesting concept. Do keep us informed of your progress.
Next....do it in flintlock. :rotf:

Agree with others, very-very nice.
Somewhere, I saw a repro of a painting that showed and old timey scene at a church. It was probably after services, ladies were preparing a meal and the men were having a shooting match. Several underhammers were present and in use.

Hi there ! I own a shooting broomstick :wink: called a Billinghurst-replica made by Andreas Baumkircher.
I think the ignition of the main charge is faster then the ignition of a side lock.
Whats your opinion about this?

Back