• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Strangest opening day fall Turkey hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steel Hayes

Collector of cheap antiquities
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Here in Michigan, the opening day for fall Turkey was Friday the 15th.
Having had to work the entire day, I was to beat to head into the woods to even enjoy sitting for the evening.
Saturday morning rolls around, I gather all my essentials, up and at ‘‘em with a cup of coffee at 5:00am(well before sunrise) and load everything up.
Arriving at our state game area, I put on the gear, double check that I have my powder horn, shot bag etc.
Head off down a deer path back to parts where I know that no one hunts, settle into the crook of a big oak tree facing an open area with lots of leaves that had been scratched through.
A half hour later and light creeps in, illuminating total darkness enough that I can finally make out shapes.
Out of nowhere(a full 180* around me) , I hear the sounds of leaves and branches breaking and snapping with heavy thuds.
I thought that someone was launching bowling balls where I was and to my surprise, I sat down in the middle of a roosting spot.
Those turkeys were, and I use this kindly, falling with wings spread like it was going to slow their decent, most were up 15-20’. Literally scared the p**s out of me.
I’m now surrounded by 12-15 hens, I have a single shot .58 smoothbore with me, lowered the barrel at the biggest one and I see at least 6 poults right behind her.
Somewhere my conscience took over and let them enjoy the morning as much as I am.
There are more weekends ahead and a Tom waiting for me.
All in all, a great learning experience to watch for falling turkeys at first light.

Wish turkey populations were as healthy everywhere. Seems like they've been in decline in my native Arkansas for 20 years or so.

Back