• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ultra thin patches?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Polyethylene (aka Tyvek) is not what you want melting in your bore.
I wouldn't put it against the powder but could certainly use a fiber wad between it and the powder.
If it works for you great, you’re just going to need something stronger than soap and water to remove the melted poly residue (from powder burning and friction heat) from your bore in my opinion. And realistically, there are plenty of better options than Tyvek, plus from memory Tyvek house wrap is nominally around .006” thick, while the OP is looking for something .005” or less.

good old bed sheets will get you there. just make sure you ruin them somehow first or the better half may make you buy her new 1000 thread count Egyptian cotton at 4 to 5 times the cost. don't ask how i know this.
I didn't even know such sheets existed until my new wife said "hey, I buying us some new sheets, OK?" I should have known something was up when she told me she was getting sheets instead of just buying them.....175 dollars later, I now know why.

My new englander shoots best with a .495 round ball with a very thin jeans pocket material patch . With a plug of cream of wheat on top of the powder charge. I have to swab after every shot though. But the accuracy is worth the effort.

You say bullet, but mention patches.

Are you trying to load a conical or a ball?
Best response yet. 👍 Bullets ain't supposed to be patched. (some exceptions with slug guns and target rifles that use paper patching. but, that's a whole 'nuther world). FWIW, at one time I used airplane cloth for a very thin patching. Worked fine but I don't know if it is still available. Some Googling might find you some. Antique aircraft restorers use it.

Looking for where I could source some super thin shooting patches. Got some from midway USA that were supposed to be 0.005in thick and were still not thin enough for my purposes. Just trying to get a tight fitting bullet fit even tighter but without getting stuck.
If casting your own, you can try beagling (google it) the mould. You won't need any patch if your bullet is larger. If you don't cast, you can try teflon tape (experiment with various thicknesses) in the manner of paper patching (2 wraps).

My REALs aren't super tight in either of my MLs. The top driving band is the only one the offers any real (no pun intended) resistance and at about 1/2 way down, due to the rifling now engraved, there's even less resistance...probably just enough to keep the slug from rattling.....shoots just fine.
Thats how it’s supposed to be/feel. Obturation takes care of the rest.

Op, @ronaldrothb49 has a fine suggestion. This will work as a gas seal and should make a difference.

Latest posts

Back