• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ultra thin patches?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weavedreamer

32 Cal
Reaction score
Looking for where I could source some super thin shooting patches. Got some from midway USA that were supposed to be 0.005in thick and were still not thin enough for my purposes. Just trying to get a tight fitting bullet fit even tighter but without getting stuck.

Go to JoAnns and buy some silk fabric. Then your velocity will go way up just like in The Last of the Mohicans movie. I haven’t tried it but since it was in a movie it must be true. Seriously, silk is quite thin but I don’t know how it would hold up to the heat of the powder. You might be able to find some in a thrift shop in the women’s scarve etc. section for a buck or two and try it.

Admit to yourself you have the wrong size bullets and buy a mould that throws bigger ones, then buy the Lubri-sizer that I suggested in the other thread you posted and you can get the dies to fit it in several different sizes and size them until you find the perfect fit.

If your bullets are to small, we are talking bullets not round balls you are wasting your time with trying to patch it.

You MIGHT be able to bump it up if your lucky but unless you have a controlled method of replicating it everytime your again wasting your time.

If it gets too thin, how will you know you even have it?
seethru.gif

From my experience I have tried ox-yoke .005 patches with a very tight ball and the patches blew out. I have found that a slightly smaller ball with a thicker patch gives better accuracy.

The OP says in his original post that he is trying to shoot bullets not round balls. Of course he could be mistakenly saying bullets when he means round balls, who knows

Short of paper patching, if it is bullets he is out of luck.

The OP says in his original post that he is trying to shoot bullets not round balls. Of course he could be mistakenly saying bullets when he means round balls, who knows

Short of paper patching, if it is bullets he is out of luck.
Ox Yoke is where I buy 0.010 linen to patch bullets for a .38 caliber picket rifle I shoot.

I patched maxi balls with some very thin undershirt material. With the same charge I noticed a substantial increase in recoil. That sorta bothered me and it was the last time for that.

Looking for where I could source some super thin shooting patches. Got some from midway USA that were supposed to be 0.005in thick and were still not thin enough for my purposes. Just trying to get a tight fitting bullet fit even tighter but without getting stuck.
You may want to consider bumping the diameter of your bullet up with a knurling tool of possibly a couple of files if you experiment a bit. Without much effort I can pickup .007” to .009” diameter, maybe more with some effort depending on the alloy. For the best fit, bullet may require sizing after knurling.

1707887740954.jpeg

1707887891332.jpeg

1707887973549.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back