• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti 1849 Pocket Range Day, with Chrono Results.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took my rarely used Uberti 1849 to the range today. When you read my results and trials and tribulations with it, you will understand why it is rarely used. I have made all the mods recommended, heavier mainspring, after market nipples, etc. I know as I write that, someone who is more knowledgeable than me is going to criticize my methods and results, and tell me how to fix my problems. I have been doing the cap and ball thing since 1977, more than most, less than a few. If you are here to tell me how ignorant I am, and how you would do it better, let's just save time and I'll admit that you are vastly superior to me in every facet of life. With that being said, I'll now share my observations about my gun, and my results. If you get better results, you are blessed.

All loads were shot with .330 round ball (the factory recommended size for my gun) I cast from pure lead in an ancient single cavity Lee mold. I know about factory .330 buckshot, it is made with a hard alloy that is exceedingly difficult to load with that stubby lever. My 1849 Pocket has a 4" barrel. I used black powders subs, Pyro P and RS, and Triple 7 3f. I have shot real black in this gun before, but now I save that diminishing supply for my flinters. For the record, Goex 3f is weaker than Pyro RS in my guns, and Pyro P is equivalent to Swiss 3f over my chrono in just about every gun I test. Today, as usual with this gun, I had many cap jams, despite all the mods. Very rarely was I able to fire two consecutive shots. Yes, I am aware of the "Colt Flip". This gun, and it's litter mate, the Uberti 1862 Police just plain suck in this regard. With many of my shots today, the loading lever also fell. I so desperately want this guy to work. I like the look and feel, and it would be a great little gun for hiking, fishing, etc. if it would just work! Maybe the original Colts were better in this regard, or maybe they sold a ton of them just because they are handy, and a gun is better than no gun. My 1849 is an accurate little gun, I can place lethal shots at 50 yards with it, one handed, when it decides to fire. I used CCI #11 and Remington #10 caps with equally dismal results, so it is not a cap issue. With all that being said, I will just copy and paste the raw data from my field notes. I also brought along a Pietta 1851 Navy in .44. Firing that big reliable gun is a pleasure after suffering through the trials of the Pocket Model. Zero malfunctions with it. All loads were lubed with my standard, Crisco, over the ball.

1849 Pocket .31 4" barrel .330 rb. CCI #11

15 gr. 777

18 gr. 777 CCI#11

18 gr. Pyro P Rem. #10 caps

15 gr. Pyro P. Rem. #10 Caps

15 gr. Pyro RS. Cci #11

18 Pyro RS. Cci #11

You were doing it all wrong

I fixed my cap jams in the Uberti 1849 by using a mainspring from a Pietta 1851 Navy. Had to do a little fitting, but now cap jams are rare. My little gun was always accurate, and now it is actually a fun gun without a cap jam every shot, which is what happened with the Uberti factory mainspring, no matter what I tried. I can get 18 grains (volume) of 777, or any other powder in, and still load a round ball. Even with that load, cap jams are infrequent since my mainspring replacement. I usually just shoot 12-14 grains however.
How you fit 18? I can pack 15 tops without wad and won’t do without wad for fear of chain fires.

Firing that big reliable gun is a pleasure after suffering through the trials of the Pocket Model.
I always finish with my Navy .36 to get the bad taste out of the frustration with my .31 pocket pistol.

Just to finish thread on a good note- I have moved target to 25 ft. Within the range this lil pistol was meant for. And it hits very well on point. Very happy with it. I was asking it to do things it was never intended for.
Its a fun pistol when used in the proper parameters.
Also almost never get a cap jam after filling the sharp edges off the hammer gap. It like both Rem, CCI 11. Does not like RWS.

Back