• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta 1851 .44 "Navy" Chrono Results

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PastorB

40 Cal
Reaction score
Beautiful day here on NW Missouri, sunny, no wind, and 70° in mid-November. Decided to "Bust some caps" in my Pietta 1851 .44 Navy. Shot over the chrono, as I usually do, and here are the results for 3 different powders, using a 30 grain (volume) charge. Fairly disappointed with the Swiss 3f, and it is a brand new can. It had by far the loudest "Boom!", but also was far behind the others in velocity. Swiss 3f is usually the equal of Pyro P, so much so I fired an extra cylinder of each to verify results, and got similar readings. Swiss has been excellent in my long guns, but didn't do so well today. .454 round balls, 7.5" barrel, stock Pietta 1851. Accuracy pretty much the same with all loads, 2"-3" @ 25 yards from a rest.

30 gr. Pyro P, 986 fps, max spr. 109 fps

30 gr. 3f 777, 988 fps, max spr. 84 fps

30 gr. Swiss 3f, 833 fps, max spr. 94 fps.

Let me ask you. Do you compress the 777 at all? I’ve read it shouldn’t be compressed, but I want to hear real world use from folks that use it regularly. I bought 3 lbs of Swiss ffffg to use in my 31 caliber and maybe my pocket police. Kind of disappointed to see how slow your readings were with the fffg.

Let me ask you. Do you compress the 777 at all? I’ve read it shouldn’t be compressed, but I want to hear real world use from folks that use it regularly. I bought 3 lbs of Swiss ffffg to use in my 31 caliber and maybe my pocket police. Kind of disappointed to see how slow your readings were with the fffg.
Yes, I compress 777 just as normal. The warning against oppression is for metallic cartridge reloading only. Got that straight from the manufacturer. It is a myth that won't die. I got a thread on this forum with chrono results using a 1849 Colt Pocket Model, 4" barrel. You can find it easily with a search. Got pretty impressive results with 3f 777, right at 1000 fps with a .330 round ball. Pyro P and Swiss were a little behind, around 880 with max loads.

Beautiful day here on NW Missouri, sunny, no wind, and 70° in mid-November. Decided to "Bust some caps" in my Pietta 1851 .44 Navy. Shot over the chrono, as I usually do, and here are the results for 3 different powders, using a 30 grain (volume) charge. Fairly disappointed with the Swiss 3f, and it is a brand new can. It had by far the loudest "Boom!", but also was far behind the others in velocity. Swiss 3f is usually the equal of Pyro P, so much so I fired an extra cylinder of each to verify results, and got similar readings. Swiss has been excellent in my long guns, but didn't do so well today. .454 round balls, 7.5" barrel, stock Pietta 1851. Accuracy pretty much the same with all loads, 2"-3" @ 25 yards from a rest.

30 gr. Pyro P, 986 fps, max spr. 109 fps

30 gr. 3f 777, 988 fps, max spr. 84 fps

30 gr. Swiss 3f, 833 fps, max spr. 94 fps.
302 fpe with the pyrodex is really good!

Thanks for that. Interesting. Wonder what Goex or Schutezen would do.

Thanks for that. Interesting. Wonder what Goex or Schutezen would do.
Never have tried Schutezen, but all my chrono results using Goex in both long guns and revolvers reveal that it is a "weak" powder. Literally hundreds of fps behind everything else, using like charges and granulation. From past experience, I know 30 grains of 3f Goex will give velocities in the 750-ish fps range with a .454 round ball in a 7.5" or 8" revolver. Pyro RS outperforms Goex 3f in every gun, both longarms and handguns, that I have ever fired them in. I will never use Goex again, unless it is the only thing available. It is really that poor performing, at least from a fps perspective. In my long rifles, Goex lags behind Swiss 300-400fps using like charges.

Latest posts

Back