• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Uberti 1847 Colt Walker Reproduction and holster/belt rig

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No "replica" Walker carbines? Too bad!

I don't believe anyone ever marketed a Walker carbine, but Armi San Marco marketed a few 3rd Model Dragoons with sights on a 7.5" barrel (and some with 16" and 18" barrels) around 1974-1975 that had 4-screw cut-for-stock frames. This one is available from October Country, cased with shoulder stock and accoutrements for $800.

http://www.octobercountry.com/1851-3rd-model-dragoon-with-shoulder-stock-armi-san-marco/

The Walker will not have a 4-screw cut-for-stock frame to accommodate the Colt Type 3 shoulder stock, but an ASM Walker cylinder can be fitted to an ASM Dragoon if the Dragoon barrel forcing cone is milled down to accept it. Goon (Mike Brackett) will back me up on this one. The plus is that one will not have to put up with the load lever dropping and the mainspring is not the V-type and is the "flat" spring.

If one wishes to accomplish this a bit cheaper, OC has this for $400:

http://www.octobercountry.com/1847-3rd-model-baby-dragoon-44-cal-armi-san-marco/

It has the rear sights on the barrel. A Colt Type 3 shoulder stock for an 1860 Army can be obtained from EMF or DGW for less than $300:

It will take quite a bit of file work to open up the stock fore-end yoke to fit the Dragoon frame. An application of Birchwood Casey Brass Black will create something similar to this factory ASM:

As you can see, I am a quite a fan of the shoulder stocked revolvers, mainly because they were a quirk that Sam Colt wanted to sell to the US Army (1860 Army and 1848 Dragoon).

The drawback to all of this is that ASM went out of business in 2003 and parts are scarce as hens' teeth to non-existent.

Regards,

Jim

Good luck with your endeavors!

Uberti makes the 3rd Model Dragoon cut for the stock but what stock will fit it?

The US Army , namely the Cavalry units have been enamored with pistol carbines since at least the early 1800's. The 1855 Harper's Ferry carbine is a neat gun I wish Pedersoli would take on and make repros. You can occasionally turn up a Zoli. That Palmetto model Dixie is trying to get rid of the last of gets horrible reviews.

Stocked pistols experimented with by the Army didn't end at the percussion era but I won't get into those.

20200228_133707.jpg

20200228_130406.jpg

Was shooting at 50 yards with my 1st Model Dragoon today, felt like a chip shot.

Also I've done a lot of experiments with "soft slings" with revolvers, i.e. a fabric strap on a lanyard loop pulled tight on the shoulder, pretty much giving a stable shooting setup .

I've always wanted a Uberti 1858 Carbine but I feel a Dragoon or Walker is more capable.

According to Mike Bellivue those leaf sights on the ASM Dragoon make the point of impact so high they are pretty much just there for cosmetics unless you're going for 300 yard volley fire

Uberti makes the 3rd Model Dragoon cut for the stock but what stock will fit it?

To my knowledge, none. IMO, fitting the Pietta 1860 stock is the only alternative.

I've always wanted a Uberti 1858 Carbine but I feel a Dragoon or Walker is more capable. According to Mike Bellivue those leaf sights on the ASM Dragoon make the point of impact so high they are pretty much just there for cosmetics unless you're going for 300 yard volley fire

Mr. Belliveau is not the BP revolver god.

Use your smithing talents and fit a much higher blade sight at the muzzle using a coin (silver dime or copper cent) and file it down as needed. Original Colt hammer sights would shoot POA/POI at about 75 yards. The rear barrel Dragoon sights had two leaves for different yardages. Use your best judgement.

Regards,
Jim

I'd love a front sight made from half a penny.

My Dragoon hit surprisingly lower than expected , based on previous hoglegs I've owned. Maybe a foot high at 40 yards.

The leaf sights look neat but for actual "combat " use I'd think the rear hammer notch zeroed for 75-100 yards would be adequate. I think anything beyond that isn't much more than a pot shot.

I rested my gun on a wood CAS window frame and shot a ragged hole at 40 yards.

However, Lodgewood and S&S sell a repro 1855 pistol/carbine rear sight that looks like it could be soldered to the flat on a Dragoon barrel......

I'd love a front sight made from half a penny.

Just make sure it is a pre-1982 cent: all cents from 1983 onward are copper plated zinc and that would look pretty bad after file work.

If you are serious about this, I will send you a 1863 Indian Head cent (appropriate date for an ACW Dragoon) to use for that purpose at no charge. I have a minor (read that sparse!) collection of Indian Head cents and it won't be missed. Just make sure the date shows on the finished sight. It is in Fine condition and the date shows well. It is worth about $10 on the collector market but its purpose might well be served better here.

Regards,

Jim

Oh Wow, I'll tell ya what , I don't want to take you up on that until I get a 3rd Model Dragoon, and a Pietta shoulder stock and I'll have my gunsmith guy help me fit all of it together. The 1863 cent front sight would complete the entire package.

Possibly having the 1855 leaf rear sight added might be an option....
Screenshot_20200228-234408_Chrome.jpg

[QUOTE="...If you haven't seen the channel, capandball, then you are really missing out on the sheer fun enjoyed by Bálasz Németh and his fascinating look at the BP world - he is, by the way a current and former WC in a number of BP disciplines, as well as a national champion. He and his brother run a mainly BP-oriented gun store in Budapest - kapszli.hu. Need a perfect replication of a Remington paper cartridge box? They have 'em, among a ton of other stuff."[/QUOTE]

Bálasz Németh also has the English-language website capandball.com which is in English and links to kapszli.hu .

Wow, no kidding? Neat!
Was it produced as a carbine or made from a Walker revolver?

It is an Armi San Marco with an 18" barrel. The serial number is on 3 parts of the gun and 1 spot on the butt stock. I believe it was a dragoon revolver. It is at Goons right now so I have no way to recheck it.
Can't wait to get it back to shoot the sucker.

It is an Armi San Marco with an 18" barrel. The serial number is on 3 parts of the gun and 1 spot on the butt stock. I believe it was a dragoon revolver. It is at Goons right now so I have no way to recheck it.
Can't wait to get it back to shoot the sucker.

The ASM Dragoons with an 18" barrel are fairly rare. When you get it back from Goon, please post some photos, sir!

These two different ASM Dragoons came up for sale/auction just in the last couple of months. The first one sold on GunBroker for $650 high bid with a buy-it-now price of $1300.

The second one was sold by October Country (part of Dr. Davis' collection) for around $800+.

Regards,

Jim

The ASM's are ok, I had an ASM 1860 Army that I pretty much used so much the mainspring snapped when I was a kid. I think I told the story about all the dumb sh-manure I did with it when I was about 20 that would probably get me locked up today.

The ASM Dragoons with an 18" barrel are fairly rare. When you get it back from Goon, please post some photos, sir!

These two different ASM Dragoons came up for sale/auction just in the last couple of months. The first one sold on GunBroker for $650 high bid with a buy-it-now price of $1300.

The second one was sold by October Country (part of Dr. Davis' collection) for around $800+.

Regards,

Jim
Those are beautiful. Mine not so much. Even tho it looks like it may not have ever been fired, the bore looks great but the action is pretty beat up. Mike says the parts are in good shape and he should be able to get it tuned up really nice. So there is that. The out side looks like it is over 150 years old. To bad it is probably from cold blue or whatever. The butt stock looks pretty decent. But that is ok, I just wanted a shooter I could have some fun with.

Watched the Ballad of Lefty Brown on netflix last night. In one scene a bad guy is shooting a Walker and I think a cap gets stuck. Anyway it was a fatal accident for him.

Back