• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TVM Southern Steel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckskin25

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am thinking about ordering a 50 cal, 42" barrel, TVM Southern Steel flintlock. I would like to get some info on this rifle from those that have this rifle. I am looking for info on the balance, fit, etc. Thanks

I have one but it's a .36 flint with a 38" x 3/4" barrel, in steel. It's a delight to carry and shoulders like a dream. Nothing special about it though it isn't a "full" poorboy. I do like those SMRs including the Tn.

I would get it in .40 or .36 caliber myself, A southern rifle speaks to as being fugal in ammo which a lot of Southern poor boys were. I have their kit put together by a fellow Forum member in .40 cal. with a 13/16 36" barrel and it shoots very nice!.

I don't have this rifle, but as a general comment, especially on a long barrel like that, pay for the swamped barrel. I couldn't see on their website what comes on this model, but would assume a straight barrel unless they specifically state otherwise. That will be a lot of weight hanging out there and affect your balance.

I built a poor boy in steel, .45 cal, 42" barrel and I love it. Even with the straight barrel I like the balance and it fits me perfectly. :thumbsup:

Balance is a personal preference. I like muzzle heavy rifles as I shoot offhand a lot and they are not a draw back when rested. My two favorites are .40 cal in 7/8"x42 straight and .50 in 15/16"x42" straight.

It is a myth that only a swamped or tapered barrel can achieve the desired balance. Any combination of length, width across the flats and bore size can alter the balance of a straight barrel just as altering the external profile. Also the balance can be affected by shortening the stock.

So, Visit shops, matches and other gatherings with permission handle guns that interest you then decide what is right for you.

TC

My experience has been that if TVM (or I suppose anyone else) doesn't mention taper or swamping its gonna be a straight, untapered, prob'ly heavier barrel.

That being said my 42" Southern Mountain Rifle has a straight Ed Rayle (??) barrel, but that barrel is so slender relative to the bore it still handles like a dream :cool:

br7_zpsc61597f1.jpg

hatfield15_zps5827cc77.jpg

The pictured rifle is very interesting, I've never seen one with that length of barrel and only one ramrod thimble, is that unique to this particular rifle, or is it something that was done often?

Spikebuck said:
I don't have this rifle, but as a general comment, especially on a long barrel like that, pay for the swamped barrel. I couldn't see on their website what comes on this model, but would assume a straight barrel unless they specifically state otherwise. That will be a lot of weight hanging out there and affect your balance.

I agree if it's going to be 42"long make sure you get a swamped barrel, of course body type also as a lot to do with balance of a straight 42" barrel, if your 6"2 and 200lbs. a straight 42" barrel might not be to heavy but when your 5'0" and 110lbs. it is. I see Pictures of long rifles but how about some pictures of ya'll holding them? so we know how big and or long armed you all are? :grin: .

I agree with those that suggest that a straight barrel can be light enough and well enough balanced on a longrifle, I've had several that were fine or better than fine. I also suspect that on a southern rifle where nothing is mentioned specifically, you're probably going to be looking at a straight barrel. Does anyone know what they include in their basic kit or what options are available for barrels? Also, what is the "builder's kit" that they list for $499?

Could be different for each maker. Make a list of questions call and ask.

My guess on a builder's kit is all the parts need filing and polishing and a lot of wood work. But that is a guess. Ask.
TC

Nice rifle, I like the color and general design lay out. One thing that could be done yet to make it even better is to polish out the counter bore chatter in the muzzle.
That's what is making the land ends look so rough.
Easy fix!

The pictured rifle is very interesting, I've never seen one with that length of barrel and only one ramrod thimble, is that unique to this particular rifle, or is it something that was done often?

Sir I have no idea. I bought the gun used with the info that it had been partially assembled by a hobbyist and then rescued and finished by one Roy Stroh out of Georgia, in general form it certainly looks like his work.

To my mind there are two anomalies... the single ramrod thimble and the pewter nose cap.

br4_zpsf1eb72f4.jpg

In view of the otherwise careful assembly of the piece both features seem premeditated rather than mere expediency. They certainly add interest to the piece while seemingly not detracting IMHO from its degree of authenticity.

Birdwatcher

I called them in November and ask them about a swamped barrel on a Tennessee rifle and I was told any rifle could be swamped for $200.00. I have a Early Virginia by TVM and I am happy with it.

I have a Va rifle with a 42 inch barrel in 54 cal. The barrel is swamped. I am 5'11 175/180 lbs.
I can hold the rifle up for quite a good amout of time with out feeling any forward weight. More time then needed for a good sight picture.However this rifle weighs about 9.5 to 10 lbs. carry it around for several hours and you will feel the weight. Compare that to a TVM rifle with a 13/16 barrel 36 inch length straight barrel. The 45 feels like a toy, it is light, quick handeling and a joy to shoot and walk with. Highly accurate colrean PRB barrel. If it had a 42 inch barrel, I can not see it being nose heavy due to an additional 6 inches. Just my 2 cents.

Back