• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thompson center inter changability

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly how are the “flats” measured?
"Flat's" refer to octagon barrel. The measurement is from one opposing side to the other, as exterior.
When dissected with a micrometer the differences will be noted in or near 0.0625 of variations of 1" vs 15/16".
Anomalies of manufacture within a few thousands are common,, but a 1/16" is commonly measurable..
Ask your local Cabinet maker or finish carpenter.
In my experience, when a comparable barrel is found to fit the stocks channel,,
The major issues are the tang/hook fitment of the existing components and proper tension of the lug key.
Folks have been swapping out the T/C parts for years,, and that's the trouble and/or challenge.

Removing a tc breech plug is best done with a special tool. Actually, there is one for sale in the classifieds.

It also takes a wrench to slide over the tool. I had one removed and reinstalled by a Smith and it was quite a tight fit. We went to his machine shop and he placed the barrel in a vice and slid the tool on. Then he adjusted a huge crescent wrench to the tool and literally bounced on it with his full weight to get it started!!

This wasn't unusual. TC installed all of their breech plugs with lots of torque.

My advice is to avoid doing it unless absolutely necessary!

You’ll need a stout bench vice. 4” harbor freight vices need not apply. I spent the 50 bucks for the Rice Barrel company vice jaws, then the TC breech plug wrench. I used my corp stop flat jawed wrench to grab the breech plug wrench and hauled away on it. Proper tools make it easy but yes, TC used a lot more torque than necessary.

IMG_4683.jpeg
IMG_4682.jpeg

IMG_4684.jpeg

Latest posts

Back