• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thompson center inter changability

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am getting myself confused on Thompson center hawken/renegade. Are barrels and stocks etc interchangeable with each other provided the “flats” are the Same dimension? E.g. renegade 54 cal barrel work with a hawken stock? Would a .36 cal barrel work in a 50 cal stock etc? Thanks for any info and help.

Hawkens are thinner or ‘less width’ barrels, 15/16” across the flats, whereas the Renegades are heavier/bigger at 1” ATF.
Thanks, so that answers the question of stock and barrel interchanging. What about caliber changing say, renegade 54 stock and a 36 cal barrel with 1“ flats? (If a 36 is even made With 1” flats). or a .56 cal Smoothbore barrel? Seems to me this would work.

Anyone can correct me if I am wrong, but I know that Hawkens can be 15/16ths or 1"across the flats across the flats and Renegades are 1". The 56 smoothbore is 1" and will fit the 1" Hawkens and Renegades. Calibers below 50 I am not sure, but I think the same applies that as long as the measurement across the flats are the same, they interchange.

I just came across a renegade 54 for a very reasonable price. I already have a recent purchase TC Hawken .45 and I really liked the set trigger. That is what started me on this investigation. I guess then I am now on quest to find a 1” Hawken stock and a 56 cal smoothbore barrel. I suppose I really like projects.

...and a 56 cal smoothbore barrel...

Those older TC 56 smoothies shoot better than they are supposed to!

I had one back in the early 80's in Mass (before I escaped to Maine!) when a smoothie was needed for the BP season, and with careful load development (the details are long forgotten -- so don't ask!) I was getting an honest 2" group at 75 yards, which was plenty for the woods I was hunting.

Old No7

To answer your stock question I think you would find a 36 cal barrel in a 50 stock would look a bit clunky. Perhaps not if the flats were the same but I thought a 36 cal would have a thinner width than a 50 or 54. 'course I've been wrong before.

To answer your stock question I think you would find a 36 cal barrel in a 50 stock would look a bit clunky. Perhaps not if the flats were the same but I thought a 36 cal would have a thinner width than a 50 or 54. 'course I've been wrong before.
I suppose it could have the same OD (1”) but a smaller ID (.36). but, I don’t know, not yet anyways. I am guessing by the end of this thread these questions and more will be put to bed with wealth of accumulated knowledge on this site.

You are confused, it's Ok,
Your trouble is comparing barrel size, caliber and stock options.
Each are specific, some are related.
We need to define them. And you need to help us with what your options are?
Aftermarket barrels for all T/C models have been/where available for many years and in many size/caliber.
Do you seek information specific to T/C options alone or to include after market?
1" aftermarket barrels to fit T/C stocks with a 1" channel were available from .32 cal up too 12ga.
T/C Hawken had both 15/16 and 1" channels, The Renegade frame was available with 1" octagon and round.

So, Please, help us and define your quest,, ✌️

You are confused, it's Ok,
Your trouble is comparing barrel size, caliber and stock options.
Each are specific, some are related.
We need to define them. And you need to help us with what your options are?
Aftermarket barrels for all T/C models have been/where available for many years and in many size/caliber.
Do you seek information specific to T/C options alone or to include after market?
1" aftermarket barrels to fit T/C stocks with a 1" channel were available from .32 cal up too 12ga.
T/C Hawken had both 15/16 and 1" channels, The Renegade frame was available with 1" octagon and round.

So, Please, help us and define your quest,, ✌️
Thanks,
the information that I have received so far has mostly answered my questions. These are questions that 3 boys age 10,11 and 12 at my church have inquired about leaving me to realize how ignorant I am on muzzleloading in general. One thing led to another, now I have purchased 3 muzzleloaders. Being intelligent and inquisitive fellows they started asking about putting different bbl/stock combinations etc and here we are. So a thought I had, was to maybe find parts that were compatible but different, as a “shop” project (which I enjoy too) and they could learn “hands on“ if you will. All of you fine folks answers have been very helpful and useful in this endeavor and I greatly appreciate it! We are going to stick with Thompson center brand only as searching for the different parts will be part of the adventure.

in general if the across the flats measurement is the same they are interchangeable.
one thing to be aware of though is the spacing of the barrel wedges. those can vary, though cutting new dovetails is easy.
Hadn’t even thought about the wedge. Thanks for the heads up. This has been a very interesting study for me.

The Cherokee and Seneca barrels are the same size, 13/16ths, but the under rib lengths are different because the stocks are different lengths and the Cherokee barrels are a little shorter than the Seneca barrels, like 24” vs 27”. I believe the wedge location is the same.

I am getting myself confused on Thompson center hawken/renegade. Are barrels and stocks etc interchangeable with each other provided the “flats” are the Same dimension? E.g. renegade 54 cal barrel work with a hawken stock? Would a .36 cal barrel work in a 50 cal stock etc? Thanks for any info and help.
Yes. The .54 barrel is interchangeable, one to the other.

I bought a .54 Renegade as my first firearm back in the 1970s. 1” across the flats, 26” long barrel. S/N 6866. At that time all Renegades had barrels that were 1” across the flats and 26” long. T/C Hawkins had barrels that were 15/16 across the flats and 28” long for .45 and .50. .54 Hawkins were 1” across the flats and 28” long.

My understanding is that the locks and triggers were the same.

Renegade stocks were more plain and utilitarian deleting the nose cap, patchbox, and using blued hardware instead of brass.

Renegade 6866 was a good accurate rifle. It was stolen during a burglary. I replaced it with a .45 Cherokee. Cherokees mounted 13/16 barrels.

Latest posts

Back