• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Turkey Hunting Successes and Pics Please

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Feltwad "forgot to mention" that all of the "driven pheasants" are pen-raised birds. The only wild pheasants in the UK are escapees from pheasant shoots ... the kind that Britsmoothy hunts.
Yes these pheasants are hand reared when chicks but they have been in the woods running wild for at least 4 months which now have reached full adult hood not like those in the states that are released from a game farm on the morning of the shoot. All UK pheasant have a free range and not escapes. .has many have said to me concerning turkeys know what you are talking about UK game birds have a sporting chance and the game shoots are one of the best in the world
Feltwad

Not only do turkeys possess incredible eyesight and hearing, they also seem to be attuned to the movements and behavior of all the other creatures in the area. I was calling to a small flock on a hillside about 1/2 mi away. The boss bird wanted to come over and add the sexy young hen (me) to his harem and I was promising him a good time! The hens were less excited and dawdled about as he tried to hurry them along.
I was set up inside a small patch of bur oak and really had what I thought to be the perfect set up to bring him in - but - it was gonna' take a while. My butt was getting tired of sitting on the hard ground and I HAD TO MOVE just a bit. I turned my boot just enough that I could push myself a bit. A blue jay saw my boot move and went into hysterics. It began screaming at the top of its lungs and flew down to a lower limb and eventually landed about 4-5ft from my foot and all the time screaming bloody murder. The hens in the flock took off at a run over the hill and the tom went after them. As long as I sat there, the stupid jay squawked at me. I didn't turn him into blue burger, but it was really close.

TG, I've read that many of the old boys favored a blue jay feather as a touch hole protector. Just sayin'......

:ghostly:

Yes these pheasants are hand reared when chicks but they have been in the woods running wild for at least 4 months which now have reached full adult hood not like those in the states that are released from a game farm on the morning of the shoot. All UK pheasant have a free range and not escapes. .has many have said to me concerning turkeys know what you are talking about UK game birds have a sporting chance and the game shoots are one of the best in the world
Feltwad

4 month old hand reared pheasants? Really......Those must be some wily critters.

I've hunted pheasant here in the USA. None that I've hunted were "released from a game farm the morning of the hunt".

Wondering where you are gleaning your information from.

No offence intended.....Our wild turkeys are MUCH sportier and challenging to bring to bag compared to our wild pheasants. That's what my experience tells me from hunting both a great deal.

Best regards, Skychief.

Wondering where you are gleaning your information from.

He said.....a video. Pretty poor basis for saying wild turkey hunting is unsporting. Very few videos of ANY hunt for any game will ever be able to fully show all the preparation and skill it takes, especially with primitive weapons.

This is a turkey thread so keep it that way and carry on shooting a bird with a brain has big has a pea and lets hear the exploits of a sporting bird ☹☹ if there is any Good luck
Feltwad

I’m in a blind with a youth hunter this morning. Raining since before daylight. Just had a hen come thru but she was all by herself. Got a Tom to gobble at 0730, in the field just west of us. Hopefully he will make his way to us!
Hope you shoot it more than five yards away so you do not learn that young shooter bad habits
Feltwad

A friend and I went to his brothers farm to hunt pheasants that the brother had raised and released a couple days before. we had no dog and spent the better part of four hours walking in a huge circle around the property and saw nothing. Arcing back through a swampy area and just as the ground started to rise, about a hundred yards from the house a cock pheasant went up and I shot it. The brother came over to look at is and said, "not one of mine.". That was it, my only hunt for pen raised birds and I too a wild one.
Robby

Turkey hunting IS HUNTING. The shooting part is an anti-climax. Those ridiculous turkey hunting videos are NOT the real thing in most cases. As far as shooting a turkey at 5 yards....That would be the accomplishment of a lifetime for many hunters. It’s a tremendous accomplishment to get a gobbler called in to 40 yards, and even greater to call one close enough to shoot with a muzzleloader.

Shooting driven/pen raised pheasants?....That is SHOOTING practice. Sporting clays is just as good.

Recently had open heart surgery, so I can’t shoot my little, light weight Flintlock turkey gun yet. I did sneak out this week and took a young gobbler (just a 5” beard) at 25 yards with a 2 1/2 dram, 1 ounce load of #6, out of a heavy 12 gauge. One of the very few gobblers to actually come in to my call in several years. I will be out in a couple weeks with the flintlock.
A5EDB34D-AEBD-4FB8-AC41-27AE48EE1304.jpeg

Hope you shoot it more than five yards away so you do not learn that young shooter bad habits
Feltwad
When you've dug yourself into a deep hole, you REALLY should put down the shovel - so just please stop with the negative comments. I hope you wouldn't say that after watching one episode of the old Daniel Boone TV show, that you know all there is about life in Colonial Kentucky. Because a TV show has about the same level of reality as some videos on turkey hunting. As you already admitted, you've never hunted a wild turkey. People who have done it will attest that it can be one of the most frustrating and rewarding hunts you can attempt. And the primary word here is HUNT. A successful turkey hunt requires a lot more skill beyond mere shooting.

Congratulations to all the successful turkey hunters this Spring, especially to the kids!

As okawbow said, " That would be the accomplishment of a lifetime for many hunters." to get a turkey within 5 yards of the hunter.

I've hunted turkey many times and although someone may say they have a brain the size of a pea, they use it well. In fact, their "smartness" is rather amazing.
Only during the breeding season do they lose some of their common sense and then, it is usually only the males that do.
Turkeys have excellent eye sight and can see 3 times better than humans can. They can see color and will avoid anything that doesn't look natural.

They used to have a turkey hunting season during a non breeding time In Arizona and that is when I hunted them. There are a lot of turkeys in the States high forest areas.
During these hunts, I found a lot of sign such as tracks and droppings and I heard them calling nearby but their elusiveness causes wild turkeys to usually stay well away from anything that looks out of place.

Any Video that says otherwise is most likely "staged" and I wouldn't count on anything it said or shows as being the way it is in the real world.

Ever heard the phrase BIRD BRAIN now we understand. wondered about that a lot when younger. And that's all I have too say about this subject.

I have a pheasant farm down the road, so I drive by pretty often even though it's on a back road but its a short cut. There are always birds out on or near the road. So naturally I try to get dinner with the truck any chance I can.

One day me and a buddy are going to are spot at the local trout stream, we come over the hill and there a cock bird dead center of the road. I dropped a gear and stepped on it. The bird didn't even move, I look in my dear view and my buddy spins around and that stupid bird was ducking down. Still didn't move a step, we joke about it all the time.
Turkey have such good eye sight , they can be dumb sometimes but think they have the edge over the pheasant.

Back