• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tung Oil application?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halftail

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a stock all stripped of it's finish.I want to apply Tung oil for it's new finish.What's the Best way?Keep in mind I am not experienced at this sort of thing.

You have straight tung oil or a tung oil varnish?
Actually either one can be applied with a rag. The varnish will fill quicker and will take few applications.
Put it on thin and repeat many times. Rub vigorously. I finish up with a good paste wax when I'm through with the oil.
Surf this site for more ideas.
Moose

YOu can use a clean rag, but if you absolutely want to make sure you are not putting lint in the finish, then wash your hands very well, and then apply the tung oil thinly with your fingers. Stretch the oil to cover as much area as you can, before dipping a finger in the can for more oil. Only a few drops will be needed to coat the stock each time. You want to do many coats, polishing each coat after it dries with a coarse cloth, building layers of finish until all the pores are filled, and you get the kind of surface finish you are looking for.

If you want the final finish to be matte, rather than shiny, put the finish on with your fingers, as with prior coats, then 5 minutes later, come back, and using very clean hands, run your fingers gently over the surface of the finish to break up the sheen. You will be left with a satin, " Matte " finish that has less flash to it. When it dried, rub the stock down with burlap, which will further dull the sheen and give your stock that old time look. The nice thing about tung oil is that if you do get a scratch to the finish, you can repair it easily with just a small drop of tung oil rubbed into the scratch and then blended into the surrounding surface.

what Paul said and sometimes I will use 0000 steel wool wet with tung oil to get a nice sheen finish. lots of coats , lots of rubbing...lots of compliments!!

FORMBY'S TUNG OIL SATIN FINISH.
I find trying to hold the stock and apply the finish is too risky don't want to drop the stock on the floor I use a 6 inch screw that goes threw the lock screw bushing and bolt up with a nut,lot better to handle,get a nice clean tee shirt cloth about 4 inch square and apply the tung oil with the grain.I start at the butt and work forward one side at a time,tung oil is easy to apply but you can't go over the oil too many times without it drying . I like going with one pass up to or just pass the lock then start from the tip and go to the spot on the lock.I then start the other side butt to lock and tip to lock then finish the underside of the stock.I run about 4 wet coats then use 0000 and rub the tung oil off back down to the grain between coats let dry before using the steel wool.I then reapply the tung oil in even wet coats from butt to tip I run about 15 coats which with every coats just builds up to a low stain finish

Back