• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Refinishing beech redux

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One concern I have with Feibing's or Dangler's is the potential for streaking/uneven finish. I had this issue when first using the Dangler's on a walnut rolling block stock. With some judicious sanding and restaining, I was mostly able to make it blend in. "All's well that ends well," wrote the Bard.
I have had streaking with Feibings on leather projects too. Would cutting it with isopropyl help?

By the way, this is one of the earlier Zouave imports, with Italian proofs and date code XX for 1964, serial number under 3000, marked FARA and with the VP and crude eagle-head proof mark on the top of the barrel at the breech. Underneath, the number 69 is stamped on the breech plug and on the barrel at the witness mark. May not have come from the Zoli brothers. The three-groove bore appears excellent.

Lacewood is interesting stuff. Here is the profile from the Lacewood | The Wood Database (Hardwood)
The Wood Database is a great resource to bookmark.
And here is a shot of the butt of the Zouave, with the grain pattern and light-colored "lenses" perpendicular to the grain that I have always associated with what I have been calling beech for 50 years, having first encountered it in Jukar-made CVA kits from the 1970s -- and also as stockwood for certain Swiss unmentionables.

Attachments

• image_16897793.jpeg
    image_16897793.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
One concern I have with Feibing's or Dangler's is the potential for streaking/uneven finish. I had this issue when first using the Dangler's on a walnut rolling block stock. With some judicious sanding and restaining, I was mostly able to make it blend in. "All's well that ends well," wrote the Bard.
I have had streaking with Feibings on leather projects too. Would cutting it with isopropyl help?
I never ran into any streaking problems, yet. I have thinned leather dyes with alcohol in an effort to lighten the color with mixed results. I've also blended colors to get a different tone, but each stock is a piece unto itself.

Lacewood is interesting stuff. Here is the profile from the Lacewood | The Wood Database (Hardwood)
The Wood Database is a great resource to bookmark.
And here is a shot of the butt of the Zouave, with the grain pattern and light-colored "lenses" perpendicular to the grain that I have always associated with what I have been calling beech for 50 years, having first encountered it in Jukar-made CVA kits from the 1970s -- and also as stockwood for certain Swiss unmentionables.
When it comes to gunstocks the term "Lacewood" is usually used to describe the flecking pattern that appears when quartersawn & not actual South American Lacewood. Several trees that are not real Lacewood can show that pattern. I suspect what looks like Lacewood on the European made guns is a Sycamore species which grow around the Mediterranean. I base that on the American Sycamore wood I have seen quartersawn. However, I have no scientific evidence for that belief. Years ago I met a guy who built MLs from scratch that said Sycamore was the best for cutting weight off a rifle & it was very strong.

I apologize for failing to follow up. I ended up using Fiebing's dark brown alcohol-based leather dye. It went on beautifully without streaking. Couldn't have been easier, nor could I be more pleased with the result. Thanks for the wise counsel, gentlemen! :cool:

Attachments

• image_67177729 (3).jpeg
    image_67177729 (3).jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
I apologize for failing to follow up. I ended up using Fiebing's dark brown alcohol-based leather dye. It went on beautifully without streaking. Couldn't have been easier, nor could I be more pleased with the result. Thanks for the wise counsel, gentlemen! :cool:
Doesn't look like the dark brown is much different than the medium brown that I used. Looks like it's the same type wood as my Buffalo Hunter stock. Nice work!!

Back