• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tumbler hardening/tempering

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sherpadoug

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I had to make a new tumbler for a flintlock musket. The new piece fits and works well but it is made from O-1 oil hardening tool steel which is still quite soft as I haven't hardened it yet. I have an electric furnace (small pottery kiln) so I can heat it to 1500F and oil quench to harden it.

Would that leave it too hard and subject to chipping? Does anyone have experience with O-1 or have a feel for how deeply I should temper it?

Buffalo precision has a table on the web of O-1 temper temperatures vs Rockwell hardness but I have no idea what Rockwell hardness I need for tumbler.

Yes. It would be too hard and too brittle. A double 1 hour each temper, at 400°/425°, gives 01 it's optimal balance of hard tough, and should be at about 60 Rc tempered at that heat. 01 really should not be heated beyond 1475° for the hardening procedure. Going with a higher temp offers more chance of grain growth, and a slightly weaker structure with slightly diminished wear resistance.

Listen to what Wick has to say -- he is always "spot on" with his hardening/tempering of O-1 + others steels. :thumbsup:

Hi,
Hopefully, your sear is the same steel as the tumbler. I always harden and temper sears and tumblers together using the exact same regime so they are equal in hardness and one does not wear the other.

dave

The sear looks cast or forged. This is not a high quality piece and I have no idea who made it. I am at least the third owner.

Latest posts

Back