• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stressproof 1144 steel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZUG

Pilgrim
Reaction score
This topic is for Bob Roller or any other person that has worked with Stressproof 1144 steel. I need to make a tumbler for a musket, and I ran out of O-1 which I normally use for making tumblers. I decided to use 1144 Stressproof steel this time because Bob Roller has touted its properties here. I put in an order for the steel from McMaster-Carr and it should be here in a few days. What I need to know from those of you "in the know" - is how to go about the hardening and tempering this tumbler made with 1144 Stressproof steel. I do hardening & tempering O-1 and spring steel very well with no issues. I have a gas forge, O-A torch outfit, Mapp gas, & a propane turbo-torch so I have the heat. What I need is the technical information on the process and temperatures. Thanks for your help --
:)

Bob Roller told me to use the following:

Springs 1075

Tumblers 1144 “stressproof”

Sears and flys 0-1

Screws 12L14

Lock Plates cold rolled 1018

They work fine for me. I heat the 1144 to a blood orange color under florescent shot lights and quench in canola oil. I draw it to a straw color. So far so good.

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=66417.0

Last edited:
Here is Bob Rollers reply to me on ALR web site:
"
Here is the way I do a tumbler made from 1144 "StressProof".Once the tumbler IS shaped,install it in the lock and function test it.If it works as it should.take it out and heat it to a bright orange and quench in oil.My quench is some very old oi drained from Diesel motors from a long gone city bus company*.Use a magnet and get it out and clean and polish it,all surfaces including the 2 notches.Using a Bernzomatic I draw it to a straw color and let it air cool.This material has proven,at least to me that it works well for this application and is easy to use because it machines like 12L14 or Ledloy.
*This old oil was given to e by George Killen in 1977 shortly before he passed away.He was a gunsmith and WW1 veteran.I have maybe a
coffee can 3/4 full now.Let us know how this works for you.As I said,my locks are spread out across Germany and other parts of Europe and nothing reported so far.
Bob Roller"

I will follow his directions except for his quench medium I will use canola oil. Thanks to all that have replied to this post :ThankYou:

Latest posts

Back