• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trophy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hanshi

Cannon
Reaction score
Just speaking for myself but it needs to be said. Any game taken with a muzzleloader (especially a flintlock) in fair chase is a trophy and deserving of respect. Never, ever browbeat yourself over "just one squirrel" or "turned out to be only a button buck", etc. You are doing something relatively few people have accomplished in modern times. Congratulate your self. :hatsoff:

Hanshi, I agree 100%. In fact, the true trophy is just being able to be out there doing what you love and enjoying the time afield. After that whatever you get is just sweet icing on the cake and, especially with traditional weapons, very well deserved and deserving of all due respect. :thumbsup:

I have to admit :shake: I let a small buck walk this morning,I couldn't tell if it was just young or deformed? It just had 1 antler,couldn't tell if 1 had been broke off or if it just grew 1 side. Maybe he will come though again,get a closer look

Years ago I read an article on the evolution of a hunter.

First the person wants to get one of what he was after.

Later is was a couple of what he was after.

Next was a full limit.

Next was the largest critter he was after, record book.

Next was something for the table.

Lastly, was, please let me go, sit and enjoy my time remaining.

A trophy is defined by the person going, no one else.

I have come full circle now.

Isn't it all about time spent, and how we like to spend it. Shame on anyone being judgemental of another.

I am currently dealing with the new QDM(quality deer management) program here in NY. It has a 3 point on one side restriction. I am not a fan and don't agree with telling anybody what they should be shooting. Or, if you are going to place a size restriction on shootable bucks, give me the option of a meat tag and I'll give you back your buck tag. To me, the only thing antlers are good for is a handle to drag, or to make make measures from. I'll take a fat doe, to a stinky buck anyday.

A trophy deer (or elk or turkey etc.) is a deer in the freezer! I have shot more than one small buck out from in front of a larger! Why? they ask? Cuz its closer to the truck!

:thumbsup: Absolutely! Even though I haven't laid a Bambi low this year, I've had some good times and some stories I can irritate the kids and grandkids with for a long time...how many Blackbucks can a Texan expect to see? Maybe I'm just trying to justify...don't care, having fun and that's really important! :wink: :haha:

Yesterday evening, my son got his second deer with a muzzleloader this fall/winter. The best part was he got to clean it with a knife I made and gave to him for Christmas the day before. Needless to say he was tickled ...Bud

Nifeman, glad to hear your son was successful and using the new knife was pretty cool for the both of you! Grandkids are headed back your way today...what kind of weather they going to have? :v

Kodiak13 said:
Nifeman, glad to hear your son was successful and using the new knife was pretty cool for the both of you! Grandkids are headed back your way today...what kind of weather they going to have? :v
Just cold, s'posed to rain Sunday. Looked like you got some nasty stuff coming your way this coming week. Take care, Bud

The sad part is that in today's "TV hunting" culture, children or newbies to the sport think its a bad thing to shoot a spike or sometimes even a doe. I fear the evolution may change due to culture. I was raised on deer here in WV and have always been a meat hunter because I didn't know any different. If the good lord puts one in my tracks I thank him for the meat.

Wvforester said:
The sad part is that in today's "TV hunting" culture, children or newbies to the sport think its a bad thing to shoot a spike or sometimes even a doe. I fear the evolution may change due to culture. I was raised on deer here in WV and have always been a meat hunter because I didn't know any different. If the good lord puts one in my tracks I thank him for the meat.

:thumbsup:

Back