• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Triple Se7ven in a Black Powder rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-h@rKByte

32 Cal.
Reaction score
My BP rifle says "BLACK POWDER ONLY" on the barrel. Does this mean that I can't use Triple Se7en or pyrdex in my rifle? And also Which is better, Triple Se7en or Pyrodex?

Thanks,
- $h@rK

Triple 7 and Pyrodex are "black powder substitutes". There are claims that T-7 and Pyrodex are aeasier to clean up and less corrosive. They both seem about the same. If you don't clean, the gun will eventually rust. Both are supossed to be approximatly 15% more potent than black powder. Some say not to use T-7 in a flintlock. I don't own a flinter, so I don't know. They will both work in a percussion lock. I've used both. I prefer T-7 since it doesn't smell like Pyrodex. Clean up is the same.
Regular black powder isn't readily available around this area. One shop a few miles from here is owned by a black powder enthusiast and he can't carry it. Something about a special license. :confused:

Yes, you can use either, and the new Goex Pinnacle also. But the 777 is very sensitive to the amount of pressure you put on the ball when seatin' it. None of 'em have the right amount of smoke or the real odor though. :winking:

For the kind of shooting I do I've pretty much settled on TripleSeven. All of my guns seem to like it as well as Goex (the only real BP I can get around here). I do shoot Goex, but only when I know I'll be able to clean the rifles right away. The kids love the smell and smoke of real BP so it's become my favourite load for back yard target shooting. But when it comes time to take the rifle afield for a hunting expedition, it's loaded with TripleSeven.

So is triple 7 smokeless? or does it give off a fair amount of smoke?

Thanks,
- $h@rK

"Black Powder Only" means that the barrel is only able to handle the pressures generated by black powder or one of it's substitutes. smokeless powder, used in modern ammunition, generates significantly higher pressures than black powder/substitutes. during the time when ammo was transitioning from black powder based to smokeless based, the makers would stamp the barrels black powder only or smokeless powder so you would know which type of ammo was safe to use. nowadays since smokeless is the norm, you'll see black powder only stamped on a barrel to let you know not to use smokeless powder/ammo. triple 7 and pyrodex produce pressures more in tune with real black powder and are deamed safe for use in BP firearms.

Of course, stamping BLACK POWDER ONLY on the gun is the manufacturers way of covering his tush.
Of course there is black, and there is black...

Some time back on the MLF, some good photos of a C&B that was blown to He.. were posted.

Seems the owner looked at the Color of the smokeless powder and low and behold, IT WAS BLACK!!

Yup. He loaded her with a full charge in each chamber and BOOM!! no more gun. As I recall, he and those around him weren't seriously injured but they were Dam lucky.

That's why I think SharkByte's question is a good one. It's always better to ask the question and be safe than to guess (or trust the dummy at the Gunshop. You know, the one that would say "This har Bullseye powder are Black..."

I like the Triple Se7en but be carefull with it and reduce loads by at least 10% to start. The FFF equevilent T7 is exellent in ball loads to about 80g fantastic with sabot load up to 90g or so as long as your gun can handle that much powder.

It's ignition tempature is along the lines of real bp which helps get rid of the pyrodex hangfire problem some people have and you can find it anywhere.

The FF will work well with magnum rifles but if it calls for 150g of bp use only about 120-125g T7.

Superfine or FFF Goex gives about the same performance as T7 I use quite a bit of this stuff because I know how it performs and like the smell. :grin:

Black powder only...you can order it through mail if you have to and that is what I do. Buy minimum 5 lbs is all.
I have tried t-7 and pyrodex and the another subsitute and after trial....I loaded them all up and took them over to a friend's house and gave him the whole bunch of t-7, pyrodex and other brand which I cannot remember name. I use only BP and it happens to be GOEX brand. Better ignition by far!!!!!

Back