• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

triditions thunder magnum (not an inline)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandbergski

36 Cal.
Reaction score
can any body give me any info on this gun
huntin dawg will soon add a picture for me.
this gun has the whitetails unlimited 1983 to 2003 20th Anniversary logo engraved on it.
my brother has two still in the box.

tm1.jpg

tm2.jpg

I found one on gunbroker. I'd post the link, but I think that's against the rules.

It's interesting. I'm sure it's a good shooter. I couldn't even hazard a guess as to it's value.

Does the paper work tell you what the Rate of Twist for the rifling is? Caliber? That looks like a limited run of guns that were sold to the organization as a promotional item.

I won't be surprised if the ROT is very fast, and the rifling is shallow, so that conicals, and plastic shoes over pistol bullets are used in the gun. The barrel is very short, and the distance between the sights is pretty short, too. Not my idea of a gun to be shooting at deer beyond 50 yds.

What is the weight of that gun? It looks like it won't go 6 lbs.! If its that light in weight, and the caliber calls for a heavy bullet, it might be more dangerous to the shooter than to the deer!

TRADITIONS THUNDER MAGNUM

Caliber: .50

Barrel: 24 inches

Weight: 7 lbs., 9 oz.

Sights: Adjustable fiber optic; drilled and tapped for scope.

Finish: Case-hardened lock, blue or C-nickel barrel.

Ignition: Percussion

Stock: Hardwood or black composite Monte Carlo

Price: $189 to $239

Notes: Sidelock. Quiet thumb safety. Solid aluminum ramrod.

HD

"what do you think of it ? and is it worth anything "

Not much.....not much.

It would make a good gun to introduce a newcomer to the fun of muzzleloading.

I know that even though folks on this forum sometimes think there are a lot of us there are far more people out there who never even considered shooting a muzzleloader and this would prove to them that "loading your own" can be an interesting thing to do.

The only fly in the ointment is the twist which is more suited to those damn expensive slugs and sabots.
It's too bad the barrel isn't more of a "combination" barrel with a 1:48 twist that can shoot roundballs well.

That's not to say this gun couldn't shoot roundballs but they would have to be tightly patched and the powder loads kept fairly low like 40 grains.

As far as its value? Like any gun, it's worth what someone will give for it but if I were asked for a specific value I would think it would be worth $125-$150.

Looks to me like someone's idea of making a mutant out of a traditional ML'er and a modern styled rifle.

Short barrel, light weight, heavy charge pushing a conical = THUNDER!!! BOOOOOM!!! and MAGNUM sized kick and resultant bruise. :rotf:

Guess it could knock the snot out of a deer though.

Too each their own I suppose. No offense to anyone...just my two cents on that rifle.
Steve

Steve

It's an interesting rifle for sure. A combination of modern and traditional. Looks to have a removable breech plug. Wonder why they put a thumb safety on it. No half-cock maybe?

It might be a great shooter.

Value? Who knows. Collectors value? Maybe some. It seems to be a limited production.

I'd give $150 for one just to have it because I think it's unique. I'd probably never shoot it but it might be good to have to get someone else started in frontstuffing.

HD

half cock isnt even a true safety. I cant tell you how many times ive seen my brothers hawken cocked back while traveling through thick brush. Just think how bad that could have turned out without him knowing that his hammer was pulled back by the brush :shocked2:

WADR, I think your brother's safety education is lacking. When I was packing a percussion rifle, and when I pack my DB percussion shotgun, I always have the hammers at half cock, and I always have a hand either behind the hammer(s), or with the heel and little finger of the hand over the top of the hammers, blocking the hammer spurs from brush with my hand and arm as I go through brush. I Do not ever carry a percussion or flintlock without protecting that exposed hammer from being "grabbed" by brush.

With a flintlock, you can use a leather hammer stall that fits over the frizzen, and prevents an errant hammer drop from creating any sparks. With percussion guns, You can make a hammer stall out of certain pistol cartridge casings, that will fit over the nipple and percussion cap, but prevent the hammer from falling and striking the cap. The casing is tied to the trigger guard so that it can be simply removed and dropped and it stays with the gun to be put to use again. I kow a man who swore by using one of those rubber, rectangular shaped pencil erasers as a hammer stall/safety on his percussion rifle. He drilled a 1/4" hole in one end of the eraser, for this string used to tie it to his trigger guard. The other end was place over the capped nipple, and in front of the hammer. The eraser was so thick, the hammer did not go into its half cock notch on that gun. If the hammer spur caught a branch that pulled the hammer back enough, the weight of that eraser would be enough to make it fall, and he could easily feel the heavy weight of the eraser begin swinging below the trigger guard, and know what happened. The hammer had to go back into the full cock notch for the eraser to come off the nipple and cap.

I prefer to not rely on mechanical safeties of any kind, and keep my hand on my lock any time I am moving. "The only safety on a gun that works is YOU!" ( My Eleventh Commandment of Gun Safety.)

The tag also indicates that it uses musket caps and can be loaded with up to 3 Pyrodex pellets.
The safety lever seems very innovative and a nice enhancement for a sidelock hunting rifle to feature if it's truely an improved mechanical safety device.
I wonder if it operates smoothly & silently?

Zonie said:
It would make a good gun to introduce a newcomer to the fun of muzzleloading.

I keep a gun like this on hand as a "loaner" for family members, that way I still help the in-laws and it keeps them from trashing my better guns.

If it floats your boat go for it. Sort of a hybrid to take advantage of some modern developments in muzzleloading technology, yet still retain a sidelock. Looks like it would be a good brush gun. Won't get a lot of Kudos from the traditionalists though. I bet it would go well with a nylon camo shooting pouch and a plastic powder dispenser and some of them plastic tube things to put your ball and charge in :grin:

Back