• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Everything .40 Cal. Muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The weather is better, supposed to be in the mid 70’s today after being in the teens the last several days.
IMG_3152.jpeg
I recently got into black powder guns and acquired this .40 cal and hopefully will shoot a few balls through her later.

Only have 3 and 4F powder along with some Hornady rb’s to try out.

Last edited:
The weather is better, supposed to be in the mid 70’s today after being in the teens the last several days. View attachment 286581I recently got into black powder guns and acquired this .40 cal and hopefully will shoot a few balls through her later.

Only have 3 and 4F powder along with some Hornady rb’s to try out.
Thanks for your post. Thats a very nice looking flinter, & .40 too. Cool!
Enjoy getting acquainted with it.

I recently acquired a .40 caliber Dixie Cub flintlock. Was working on sighting it in. What’s your preferred load?
I just read another post of yours about the loads you were experimenting with, think they answered my question. Before the cold weather set in I was experimenting with a .390 RB , .15 patch, 35 grains. I noticed an old Dixie Gun Works catalog recommended a .395 RB , for the Dixie Cub,will experiment with that next.

I just traded for a Turner Kirklin 40 cal full stock yesterday and will soon order some round balls for it and seems I may need some other than .390 do any of you have one of these and could you tell me what was recommended for these rifles

Back