• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Everything .40 Cal. Muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:)..........Percussion refers to the ignition system used on most m/l long arms. The earlier ignition system is called a "flint lock." Many flint ignition guns were converted to the more modern system called "percussion lock" post 1820. Percussion lock creates fire using a drum and nipple screwed into the side of the m/l barrel. Percussion cap is placed on the nipple , and the percussion lock hammer strikes the cap , on the nipple , causing the cap to fire, igniting the powder in the m/l barrel..........Boom! Happy to help,and hope this is at least more clear , than as mud. ...........oldwood

I've read where no one has ever found a Flint Hawken. But I guess the interest and lore about these uniquely American guns will keep the pot boiling for some time! They are the very picture of "handsome" and utilitarian!
Here is your proof that doesn’t exist read the caption on the bottom rifle , states it was modified to a percussion

Attachments

• 0AE1E0C7-9DDB-4081-B15E-6827B92B1958.jpeg
    0AE1E0C7-9DDB-4081-B15E-6827B92B1958.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • F3B510F4-EC56-44D8-863B-3BA6C6CBDC40.jpeg
    F3B510F4-EC56-44D8-863B-3BA6C6CBDC40.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
:)..........Percussion refers to the ignition system used on most m/l long arms. The earlier ignition system is called a "flint lock." Many flint ignition guns were converted to the more modern system called "percussion lock" post 1820. Percussion lock creates fire using a drum and nipple screwed into the side of the m/l barrel. Percussion cap is placed on the nipple , and the percussion lock hammer strikes the cap , on the nipple , causing the cap to fire, igniting the powder in the m/l barrel..........Boom! Happy to help,and hope this is at least more clear , than as mud. ...........oldwood
My reply was fasciitis intended to imply that caplock hadn't been invented yet or was so new that I hadn't heard of it.
😉
Perhaps I should have stated that before.
Trying to joke by texting has a few drawbacks. I guess I put too much faith in the smiley face I placed behind the comment. Most rocklock shooters would have picked up on the joke.
But I guess that like jokes about urinals, there will be at least a section of folks who won't understand that you are joking.

Last edited:
My reply was fasciitis intended to imply that caplock hadn't been invented yet or was so new that I hadn't heard of it.
😉
Perhaps I should have stated that before.
Trying to joke by texting has a few drawbacks. I guess I put too much faith in the smiley face I placed behind the comment. Most rocklock shooters would have picked up on the joke.
But I guess that like jokes about urinals, there will be at least a section of folks who won't understand that you are joking.
Your reply was to my post AND I knew exactly what you were doing. I found it amusing for sure!

It never occurred to me someone would take you literally. Not here anyway. I suppose you can't slight someone for trying to be helpful.

Walt

Last edited:
I've read where no one has ever found a Flint Hawken. But I guess the interest and lore about these uniquely American guns will keep the pot boiling for some time! They are the very picture of "handsome" and utilitarian!
There has been a lot of discussion years ago about the one in the Smithsonian that was converted to percussion

Hello my friend just sent photos of a Dougle .451 more of a target rifle, well it is actually , but of ware and tear but I bet it will put holes in a 500 yard plus target . He’s not a muzzle loader but a prolific collector and shooter up in Norfolk UK got to be over £3000, So this is his first bought ML. Quite envious

As promised, some photos of the new gun.

It came in a case.

View attachment 191020

With a tang sight, two front sights and some spare elements.

View attachment 191021

Put together it looks like this.

View attachment 191015

Engraving on the lock.

View attachment 191018

And the tang.

View attachment 191019

Dougall's name on the lock plate.

View attachment 191014

And on the barrel.

View attachment 191017

Calibre .451. 52 balls to the pound.

View attachment 191016

I'm happy.

Roy
Gorgeous

.40 cal is my long-time favorite.
I have been shooting a .40 GM barrel from a TC Hawken stock,
own a .40 longrifle flintlock (shoots nice, but I now use .50 cal TC Hawken for easier cleaning)
and I have been using percussion pistols in .40 cal exclusively for about 40 years now.
All for target shooting only, always using .395 round balls, .015 patch, Swiss Black Powder (Aubonne mill), Grade 1 for the pistols, Grade 2 for the rifles.

Anyone shoot conicals from a 1:48 Green Mountain barrel?

What's the performance like?
I shot a lawn patched short picket type bullet from a 1 in 48 Delcour barrel with & one half drams its 31" 1" Oct barrel shot well at one hundred and shot fair up to 300. the kerchief' lawn' was lubed of course . If that helps . The mould was a McQuire from Blackpool on loading once it got tight I trimmed the excess patch off so only the lower portion was bearing in the grouves . The Delcurs where button rifled out of Belgium being all old Kit Ravenshear had in stock , It was my first flint rifle ( noddingly After the Grice Rifle illustrated in Blackmore's classic on British Military Firearms )c 1962 until it got polititioned off me by Queenslands Anti gun laws . I hardly shot round ball as most ranges started at 100 yards .It was ugly of course but it was the first and you expect that .Got sold cheap in Brisbane.Via Les Searles might turn up yet .
Regards Rudyard .

.40 is my all around range practice flintlock. .40 cal ,3/4 inch octagon barrel , cut to 40 " length cause I'm old and can't carry rifles over 5 lbs any more. Well figured black walnut stock wood , Appalachian mtn style stock w/1 1/8 " grease hole . Iron butt plate and matching iron trig.guard found in an old burnt up shed in Preston Co. W.Va. , along the Cheat River. Built it 10 yrs. ago. In love with it since first shot fired.

.40 is my all around range practice flintlock. .40 cal ,3/4 inch octagon barrel , cut to 40 " length cause I'm old and can't carry rifles over 5 lbs any more. Well figured black walnut stock wood , Appalachian mtn style stock w/1 1/8 " grease hole . Iron butt plate and matching iron trig.guard found in an old burnt up shed in Preston Co. W.Va. , along the Cheat River. Built it 10 yrs. ago. In love with it since first shot fired.
I certainly' hear you ' My rifle was heavy but I was young didnt notice . Now much over 5 pounds I don't like, if its hard to get 5 pounds & harder to get less, but worth the effort. My maxim was if your going to carry any weight make it edible .Nobody in NZ sits in trees to baited 'donks 'hunting usually entails forested mountains or sloshing up creeks .('donks' is what we called Red Deer ). Regards Rudyard

Rudyard , I no longer can sit in a ladder tree stand. Usta be fun , but my health stands in my way. I'm thankful to go to a shooting range with a rifle I built , shoot a few shots just to keep my shooting skills alive. Wish you well...........oldwood

I would love to see a picture of your rifle!

Gtrubicon.......Sir , would love to send you a pic of my Cheat River W.Va. , rifle. My problem is , we have no cell svc. here , thus only have Gophone. No blessed pics. I have built many complex longrifles , and others. I'm old now , and just have no desire to do complex work. But , going back to my younger years , running the hills of Western Pa. along the Monongehela River , I knew there was significant history there ,but knew little of it. I began to read and learn about Appalachian rifles , the ones built West of the mtn. front where I grew up in the Pittsburgh gun manufactuaries. As the frontier moved west and south of Pittsburgh , flint rifles , and later percussion rifles like my .40 flinter went down the Ohio river and west . Before 1820 , the percussion era start , the rifles built in Pgh. were copies of eastern flintlocks , made by eastern longrifle gunsmiths , and their apprentices wanting to move closer to the rapidly advancing frontier. Wasn't my idea to build my .40 until I found the rusty iron parts , possibly from an original. Because of illness , my wife and I have had to deal with situation , and a walnut stocked smooth longrifle .555 cal. sits , half built , leaning against my work bench since last March because of preocupation with our illnesses............GTRUBICON , I wish you the best , sorry to disappoint you.....................oldwood

Gtrubicon.......Sir , would love to send you a pic of my Cheat River W.Va. , rifle. My problem is , we have no cell svc. here , thus only have Gophone. No blessed pics. I have built many complex longrifles , and others. I'm old now , and just have no desire to do complex work. But , going back to my younger years , running the hills of Western Pa. along the Monongehela River , I knew there was significant history there ,but knew little of it. I began to read and learn about Appalachian rifles , the ones built West of the mtn. front where I grew up in the Pittsburgh gun manufactuaries. As the frontier moved west and south of Pittsburgh , flint rifles , and later percussion rifles like my .40 flinter went down the Ohio river and west . Before 1820 , the percussion era start , the rifles built in Pgh. were copies of eastern flintlocks , made by eastern longrifle gunsmiths , and their apprentices wanting to move closer to the rapidly advancing frontier. Wasn't my idea to build my .40 until I found the rusty iron parts , possibly from an original. Because of illness , my wife and I have had to deal with situation , and a walnut stocked smooth longrifle .555 cal. sits , half built , leaning against my work bench since last March because of preocupation with our illnesses............GTRUBICON , I wish you the best , sorry to disappoint you.....................oldwood
No sir, I’m not disappointed in the least. Your description put an image in my mind, an honest working man’s gun. Those are my favorites.

Back