• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Travelers Swiss question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
5. Should have bought more. Seems to be the theme these days
I see. Just FYI for future buys: 1 more dollar got me four pounds of Swiss 3f. Sure it would have been 27 more dollars to get 5lbs, but I think what I am seeing, if my math is right, is that all the powder houses are pretty much the same in price shipped. And only Travelers requires a signed release.

No, I think he was likely having some other major issue in his life and I caught him at a bad time. The rant was mostly about California and Californians. California has intentionally made it a pain to deal with. He has not since emailed anything angry. His last email finally answered the initial question of how old the powder was, so I got my answer and would like to let this mess end. Whatever he is/was going through, I'm sure it is/was quite unpleasant. I'm not trying to further hurt the guy. Everyone has bad days.

It is not my intent to cause more ruckus than I already have.

Like I said before, I take full responsibility for not having asked the date of manufacture before I bought. I've learned my lesson to not blindly trust sellers.
Sure he overcharged me quite a bit for the "hazmat" fees, but I don't think he would do that to anyone who let him know that they know the charges from fedx are now $44 for such size shipments.
So how old is the powder?

He said it was repackaged in 2016, so as black powder goes, it is not "old" as long as it was stored properly before re packaging.

He told me that it was repackaged in 2016= it was made in 2016. It is up to you if you believe him or not.
Functionally it appears to be generally known that approx 6 years old is not remotely old or remotely a problem if properly stored.
I think it is safe to say that in the sealed plastic bottles he uses, which are good quality, that the powder should last decades.

Last edited:
Yes, agreed. Black powder, properly stored can be good for decades, that being said, I'll ask how old it is next time before buying.
Like I said, I'm still wet behind the ears and am learning, sometimes by mistakes like this.

I hope whatever was causing angry guy to be angry subsides and he can go back to a happier life. I don't believe the scale of his reaction could have been caused by only me asking the true date of manufacture.
Still using Du Pont Black Gunpowder that has a 1970 lot number and it work quite well.
Properly stored Gunpowder has a life span longer that a Collins Street fruitcake ans that is saying something.

2016 for real BP is just getting mature. I'm shooting some Pyrodex RS that I bought before 2002. It's all I got on hand and I haven't been able to make the trip to get the real stuff.

I bought this from a buddy maybe 10 years ago. It was sealed in a clear plastic wrap. He didn’t know anything about it. Did this brand come in sealed plastic? Maybe you of you fine members will recognize it and can chime in.
Ok, the point is I finally decided to use it instead of breaking into my new powder. It shoots as good as the day it was made!
I have two cans of that in FFg; been shooting it in my .50cal Pennsylvania and it shoots very well, actually has quite a kick so I backed off 5g on my charge.

I found some black powder for sale marked "Travelers Swiss " and "Travelers Scheutzen " and it's listed as being in stock yet regular Swiss and Scheutzen show as out of stock
Anyone here know the difference? By the way. it's at a place in Texas called Travelers Antiques.
The greatest retailers in the country (how's that ! Pick up the phone and ask the nice peple that own it, They will explain all , think I was the guy that posted here early about them . They ship super fast /no hassle! Ede

My order from Graf's came in today. 😁
Mine too. 5 day s from order date, including weekend -- despite their warning of possible delay in shipping. Invoice shows Shipping (fixed-rate) at $12.95 and Hazmat Fee of $23.50.

I don't get the whole shipping thing with a lot of companies. I figure it has to do with the deals they make with shippers and the cost of preparing the shipments -- I guess. 🙄 It just cost me about 50% more for shipping than Graf's "fixed-rate" for just a few small and light-weight tractor parts from Texas (I mean, one hydraulic filter screen and some O-rings). And very few companies will now just drop really small parts in an envelope and send it 1st class. Instead they put it in a box and charge for shipping the box. o_O

People like that eventually ruin it for all!
😡

You really should get all the available info before jumping to conclusions. I listed 2 lbs at my cost, not lots and lots and high prices.
And then I immediately removed the auction after Toby told me to.

You really should get all the available info before jumping to conclusions. I listed 2 lbs at my cost, not lots and lots and high prices.
And then I immediately removed the auction after Toby told me to.
I did not point 'you're out specifically, I stated to the previous poster who said "what other folk do with primers and powders"....and 'Other Folk' are in fact doing it, I saw $60 for a lb of Goex at a gun show, seller's comment was "You cant get that anymore" - I just smiled and walked away .... but I did pay $30 from a fellow on the other side of the room. In Idaho my father said they are trying to get $85-$100 for a box of unmentionable....but then his friend came in and brought me some for $40 per box (still a hike from the $19-$25 before the China Attack).
But yes, 'some folk' are doing this.

I have to commend you for your efforts. Some folks just go "poof", when they do things others wonder why.

Yep, too much drama in the last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back