• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Trapper set trigger very stiff

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just received my Traditions Trapper 50 cal pistol. The wood is very nice and workmanship good for the price. However, the set trigger is very, very hard to pull. I squeexe down at the end of the trigger for enough leverage to move it back.
Is there a way to modify it to be easier to pull?

Thanks for the help,
Ron

It is common on the CVA and Traditions guns for inlets to be off some. This may cause problems like yours. First off, take your trigger out of the gun and see how it functions. If it works just fine outside of the gun, then you will know that the problem is with the fit when assembled into the gun. The trigger bar for the set trigger has a little upward motion as you set the trigger. If it is directly contacting the sear arm and the sear arm is impeded in some way, then it can be real hard to set the trigger. When the hammer is at 1/2 cock the sear is pretty well locked in place and that would be one such condition. Fix options include filing the trigger bar where it contacts the sear arm or shimming out the trigger plate to increase the distance between the trigger bar and sear arm.

Is there a second screw under the inside curl tip of the TG, behind the set trigger? That screw adjusts the set trigger spring tension or travel on some I have. Could be flat head screw or allen. Or might be the screw that holds the spring on the bar could be too tight.

Thank you, Gentlemen. I will take your recommendations and examine the gun this evening.

This is such a great site for the beginning muzzleloader!
Ron

There is a second screw behind the set trigger. I removed the trigger guard and adjusted the screw in both directions to see the effect. turning the screw clockwise resulted in a slightly reduced effort necessary to set the trigger. It isn't easy, but it is better than when I wrote this first post.
Thanks,
Ron

Ron,

Pull the trigger assembly. Should just be tang screw and 1 other to get it out. The spring in the back of the plate is the set trigger spring. Slightly loosen the screw that holds it to the plate. Not enough to make it wiggle in place, just enough to take a bit of the pressure off of it. That will also free up the set trigger a bit.

Rusty

Latest posts

Back