• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fixing the set trigger on CVA Trapper

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linuxdandan

32 Cal
Reaction score
Anyone able to tell me direct what to look to?

I received a .50 Trapper, test cycled it a few times, and it at first worked fine, but set trigger now locks, but doesn't disconnect the firing trigger. Reckon I will figger it when I find my flathead screwdriver. I noticed the set trigger grub screw was in but not given some goop to hold it. That's all I got.

I am not familiar with set triggers, I watched one youtube video so far where the function is explained but I haven't torn it open yet. First thing I need to learn is whether I have any spring-tensioned stuff in there I need to watch out for.

I am not familiar with set triggers, I watched one youtube video so far where the function is explained but I haven't torn it open yet. First thing I need to learn is whether I have any spring-tensioned stuff in there I need to watch out for.
The springs should all be attached and will not fly out unless it has broken

I don't quite understand what you mean by "doesn't disconnect the firing trigger"?
You set the back trigger either at half cock or full cock, depending on how it is set up. Then you pull the front trigger to release the set trigger bar which is spring loaded. You don't have to worry about any springs flying around when you disassemble it. The CVA trigger set has a thin wire spring at the front that can be problematic. It can easily come out of the small holes it is engaged to, or even the tips can break off. It provides tension to keep the front trigger in position to engage the set trigger. That may possibly be your issue.

I don't quite understand what you mean by "doesn't disconnect the firing trigger"?
You set the back trigger either at half cock or full cock, depending on how it is set up. Then you pull the front trigger to release the set trigger bar which is spring loaded. You don't have to worry about any springs flying around when you disassemble it. The CVA trigger set has a thin wire spring at the front that can be problematic. It can easily come out of the small holes it is engaged to, or even the tips can break off. It provides tension to keep the front trigger in position to engage the set trigger. That may possibly be your issue.
Yes! This is what I believe the issue to be. I had a feeling it would be a small part. The set trigger, after setting, when you pull the front trigger, all that happens is set trigger disconnects and resets to neutral. The front trigger remains, un-tripped and the hammer stays back.

Yes! This is what I believe the issue to be. I had a feeling it would be a small part. The set trigger, after setting, when you pull the front trigger, all that happens is set trigger disconnects and resets to neutral. The front trigger remains, un-tripped and the hammer stays back.
Does it fire if you pull the front trigger without setting the rear first

Try to adjust the little screw on the trigger It may need to go in some or out some but it seems it is out of adjustment

That's the gig, the front trigger is the set,, the firing trigger is the rear.

For me it was always easiest to remove the set trigger and then make the rough adjustments. Afterwards only fine adjustments are required.

If the trigger does not work right when installed and the hammer does not hold in the cocking notch, it could be that the trigger plate has been inlet too deep into the stock. Then it will usually help to place a thin strip of veneer underneath.

I saw this happen on a TC Hawken that sat too long. Remove the trigger assembly from the rifle, clean the whole mechanism with some solvent and a soft toothbrush, then lubricate it lightly. Research adjustment of that trigger. The adjustment screw is easier to turn and apply thread lock while assembly is out.

Looked and I have a Traditions Trapper. Attached you’ll find the adjustment instructions for it. Didn’t know CVA named their pistol Trapper also. (Or are they the same company?) The rear trigger is the set trigger, the front is the firing trigger. The TC Patriot was the reverse, which to me makes more sense. I still think a good cleaning and light lubrication will solve your issue. I’ve removed set triggers from many BP guns, there are no loose rings to be concerned with. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_0046.jpeg
    IMG_0046.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0045.jpeg
    IMG_0045.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Does this engaging post look right to you? Is this bent or is this by design?
16989916724254870427502353224119.jpg

Attachments

• 169899170939390455163809716214.jpg
    169899170939390455163809716214.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Back