• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions products

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Crockett .32 cal. Nice little rifle, I think they a way over priced for a Spanish made gun.The CEO sure as hell isn't a bp shooter or he would have had the Crockett made in .36 and .40. I bet he has a nice suit though.
Nit Wit

Forgot to mention that I used to live in Connecticut. Don't want to give away my age but I remember when Traditions was in Deep River, Ct. I've been to their showroom in Old Saybrook many times.

I have worked on several traditions rifles and consider the percusions to be well worth the money. But I do not think their flintlocks are worth the money.I have seen people shooting their traditions win several shoots beating people with high dollar rifles.

60BD0E53-4BBA-40D8-8A9A-D6CB3A0675A3.jpeg
This is my .50 caliber Traditions Kentucky rifle. I have other guns that cost more but none that shoot better. This and a .62 caliber flintlock smooth bore from Loyalist Arms are my two favorite muzzleloaders. Traditions muzzleloaders may not be exactly “historically or period correct “ but there’s nothing wrong with how they shoot. I’ve had several of them.

My traditions flintlock took some tweaks, but runs good for a $400 dollar gun. The percussion gun has been good from the go.

I love my .32 Crockett and .50 Trapper pistol and have had zero problemswith either. I pulled both locks apart and polished up the rubby bits. They're smooth as ever now and lightning fast. That trapper pistol is dangerously accurate at 50 yds.

I work with the boy scouts venturing program and teach young men and women to shoot muzzle loading pistols and rifles. I have had close to a hundred students learn to load , shoot and clean then repeat as needed in one day at camporees. I use CVA/Traditions guns cause they are affordable and work. They are not fancy and occasionally may need some work but the scouts love the chance to learn and shoot. I have probably 20 CVA/Traditions rifles and pistols many used hard in this service.

George

I owned and hunted with two Traditions, a .50 DeerHunter and a Crockett, both percussion. They're not fancy but they take deer and squirrels and served me well for over 20 years. I've seldom run across any rifle as accurate as that little Crockett.

I bought a used Tradition Hawken style cap lock 50 cal, came with a bad trigger I have been messing with it fer several Mo's now and still no luck, Tried to buy a part from them to no avail. not sure what I will do with it. BUT NO MORE TRADITIONS fer this old boy.

I bought a used Tradition Hawken style cap lock 50 cal, came with a bad trigger I have been messing with it fer several Mo's now and still no luck, Tried to buy a part from them to no avail. not sure what I will do with it. BUT NO MORE TRADITIONS fer this old boy.

What exactly is your trigger doing? I highly doubt it was from factory that way. Most likely from the previous owner of your "used" rifle. Anyway, here you go:
Log Cabin Shop

I have a Hawken Woodsman. Very solid, good shooting rifle. I have had no problems with it in the 10 years I have been shooting it. Is it a piece of art? No. Is the wood to hardware fit flush and smooth? No. Bluing is durable and still fully intact. Stock finish is still in good shape. Lock is well machined and double triggers function great.

What exactly is your trigger doing? I highly doubt it was from factory that way. Most likely from the previous owner of your "used" rifle. Anyway, here you go:
Log Cabin Shop

Thanks a lot, kind of had my fill of it, the trigger and lock works fine out of the stock, have check and no where is it touchig in the stock, I think I have an alinement problem,

I have had a couple of Traditions guns in the past. One is on “extended loan” to a friend of mine, the other was sold during tough times. Neither had any major problems and both were accurate enough. Fit and finish wasn’t amazing, but decent at that price point. I think “serviceable” or “basic” would be good descriptions. They’re cheap, they’re not necessarily beautiful, they work.

Being I'm the owner of a traditions 50 with fiberglass stock, I thought there one more thing that should be mentioned. If your entire life is narrowed down to just shooting muzzleloaders every day, perhaps you need the best priciest one available.. For people like me, who include and use muzzleloaders along with Bows and Arrows and some of the other unmentionable Firearms that are in common use, that are all a part of our sporting lives, especially mine. I own one of these tradition cap Locks because it was a darn good buy. I reckon as things are viewed, I don't own many weapons that would be termed beautiful, But they all function.

I have a Traditions Trapper .50 caliber percussion pistol that shoots quite well. I just make sure I clean out the nipple port area quite regularly as that seems to be the most problematic area for me. As far as accuracy, it shoots about as good as any of my more expensive pieces do. Or should I say, "It shoots about as good as I can shoot it."

With mine, I can hit what I’m aiming at which is usually a groundhog size target at less than 50 yards. Eyesight ain’t what it was in basic training way back when.

I have their Pennsylvania rifle in flint and their mountain rifle in cap. Besides that the breech plug doesn't unscrew I have had no complaints. Got spoiled with those 209 rifles I guess. They are made in Spain. I've been to the office trying to sell them advertising. They are nice people.

Back