• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions products

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogfood

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all,
Traditions muzzeloaders is based in my childhood hometown of Saybrook, CT. Me and a buddy talked our way into a tour of their facility back in the day in fact. (CVA's original headquarters had been just across the river in Lyme I later learned).
However, by the time I was old enough/had the money to start to get into muzzleloading, I had come to the conclusion that they didn't put out good products.
Is that impression unfounded? Any chance their stuff is hit or miss depending on model, or individual example?
So, now that im beginning to feel my age and want to try to buy back my childhood, are there any Traditions rifles that you'd recommend?
Thanks for your input!
Cheers,
Ken

My first m/l, a Deerhunter, cost me <$400. Is it a high end gun? Absolutely not. Does it shoot accurately and reliably? Sure, as long as I do my part on both points. They are affordably-priced entry level guns that work well enough to get you good and hooked without getting good and frustrated.
I recently added a Traditions Trapper pistol to the rifle. It looks great and shoots very well. At $350 how wrong can you get as long as you have reliability and accuracy and get to add cool factor to the mix? I'm very happy with both purchases and got into this end of the shooting sports with not one, but TWO guns for under a grand.

wm

Is that impression unfounded? Any chance their stuff is hit or miss depending on model, or individual example?
Not really. It's simple, they where made as inexpensive entry level guns. To keep costs down the lock and trigger parts are stamped out and/or cast and quickly assembled,, barrels are also made with a minimum of finishing off the lathe,,
That said, off the shelf/out-of-the-box rifles and stocks can be in a poor state for what's considered by many to be suitable accuracy.
However, with even intermediate experience and small hand tools, Traditions/CVA/Jukar rilfes can be polished and tuned to a fine level of reliable operation.
These rifles in the hands of an experienced shooter, can easily shine in competition with some of the best custom rifles.
Been there, done that,,

Depending on what you want...I have excellent luck with their cap guns.....the flint guns aren't as reliable.
I dunno, Mark. The Trapper went click the very first try and has been perfect ever since. The Deerhunter has been very relable too. However, I'm a lifelong "fixit" guy and easily understand cause and effect. A well-knapped flint and good maintenance keeps anything shooting reliably.

Btw, love your videos, brah!

wm

Overall, they are a decent entry level gun. I just put together a traditions crocket kit. The lock was horrible,the barrel was excellent including the bore. The wood was nice, inletting not too bad. All in all, they are pretty much priced at what they are worth, if you have a bit of mechanical ability you can polish out most of the rough edges. With a good bit of work, my Crocket rifle has really turned out nice, and now 100% reliable. Just gave it to my 9 year old boy when he said " Dad, someday I would like to have my own muzzleloader".

I have their Kentucky pistol and happy with it. This is literally just a plinker for me, something fun to shoot and it does everything I need it to do. Looks good, fun to shoot and goes bang every time I pull the trigger. Can't ask for more than that.

I have one and it is the most picky rifle I have every had. It isn't necessarily a quality problem, more a design quirk. That said, I figured out just how to load it and with what after literally years of experimenting. It likes a combination I would not have thought and isn't my preference. However, when I use that load it is very reliable and accurate - as much as any other rifle I have. I think depth of lands and grooves and geometry of the firing channel are the culprits with my rifle. Figure out what makes it "tick" and it does its job just fine.

Hi all,
Traditions muzzeloaders is based in my childhood hometown of Saybrook, CT. Me and a buddy talked our way into a tour of their facility back in the day in fact. (CVA's original headquarters had been just across the river in Lyme I later learned).
However, by the time I was old enough/had the money to start to get into muzzleloading, I had come to the conclusion that they didn't put out good products.
So, now that im beginning to feel my age and want to try to buy back my childhood, are there any Traditions rifles that you'd recommend?
Thanks for your input!
Cheers,
Ken
Good morning Ken. due to advancing age and bad shoulders, I definitely needed a lighter BP rifle, So a little over a year ago, I bought a traditions 50 caliber, fiberglass stock with a 24 inch barrel. Actually a very nice made percussion. I have a flintlock from Lyman, but the weight is working against me, so I've been shooting the heck out of this traditions and I have no complaints whatsoever. I'm even able to shoot it offhand a time or two As it only weighs 5 3/4 pounds. It was on sale at Midway for about $230. I mainly use 777 powder because of the availability where I live, stainless steel nipple and it's a fun gun. I can't vouch for any other ones, but I do like this one. Built my own peep sight, experimented with patch lubes, and think that I like kerosene about the best.
Squint

Depending on what you want...I have excellent luck with their cap guns.....the flint guns aren't as reliable.

Cap guns are respectable and the flints are after modifying a bit. Had an old smithy in the Ozarks in the late 70's that made locks out of scrap steel and they worked on the CVA's and Traditions. As mentioned earlier these two resemble being kin to each other.
Good entry level weapon, but with todays prices on modifications, they can get expensive.

I built both the Kentucky pistol and rifle, both percussion. They both do the job. Have killed several deer with the rifle, looked the fact it is a 1:66 twist loves prb and 70 grains 3f Goex.

I did trade the pistol for an 1858 Remington pistol. Paid 95$ for the Kentucky pistol, got $150 for a straight swap!

The Rifle kit cost me $120, when I bought it several years ago. I get more compliments on it than my TC Hawken or my Investarms Hawken.

Mine I have no problem with. My flinter is accurate and reliable (now that I can knapp!, used to only last 10 shots!). learn to knapp.

If yer into historically correct, pass em by. I like mine and as per above once in a while, just like a car, ya get one thats super reliable and will out shoot the custom guys!!

Thanks for all you thoughts and input fellas.
I think if something reasonably priced pops, up the look of which catches my eye, I'll end up going for it.

If it weren't for these entry level guns, allot of people might not ever get into ML shooting. Not everyone can afford high end guns and some could but still unsure.
You are right.
I only have factory guns to use. I'm pretty hard on them & taking custom ones into the environment I take them would be problem. I represent the common man in shooting.

Over the years, I've had 6 or 7 traditions rifles. I currently have 3.
Tennessee rifle and 2 deerhunters in 45 and 50 caliber. The 45 is my favorite one. Light weight, easy to carry and shoots really well.

Back