• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Kentucky Rifle kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't even look at my caplock CVA while at
the range don't think I'll ever shoot it again..I think I want to get a flint pistol again I like the looks of the Pirate kit.

I hear that. My percussion rifles are hanging out coated with rust preventative. I'm probably going to refinish the one I got started on and pass it along to a good friend of mine. They're a great way to get people started. Glad you're enjoying flintlocks!

I have several percussion rifles and smoothbores, but haven't shot any of them in a while. Amongst them is a 1st year CVA Mountain Rifle kit gun that I finished as a teenager. These days rocklocks get my undivided attention. Make smoke! :hatsoff:

Here's the target with my second offhand shot. I only fired 6 shots that day, 4 from a rest to check sighting first offhand I dropped the barrel
before lightoff then the one in the picture target was at 60-65 yards

DSCN3808_zpskw3zu2l6.jpg

I'd take that for flintlock, offhand, 65 yards any day. Interested to see how well she does on the rest. As a guy told me about a CVA Kentucky rifle, "They may not be the best rifles, but nobody told them."

I agree,
I "fixed up" a Jukar 45 Kentucky and its a shooter. the thing does stuff I'm not capable of.

How is the Trigger pull on the Flinter ?? I had one Years ago that was very accurate but it had a Bear of a Trigger pull on it. I won a lot of stuff with it, Years ago that is !!

I plan on a range trip next week and will do some rest and offhand groups. :grin:
Lead Slinger my crude but pretty effective trigger pull test gets it at 4.40lbs and that's right about where I like'em to be. :thumbsup:

About right for a Huntin` Trigger pull. I am guessing mine was at least 110lbs !!! Might get one of the Kits to put together for next Winter`s project, that is if this Winter ever ends here in Pa..... :doh:

Nice looking piece, :thumbsup: where did you find a Traditions full stock flintlock kit? Only thing I can find online is their percussion model.

Montana Smith said:
Was looking at my scrape of brass and remembered an
old (90-100 years) busted stock I kept for wood,
turns out to have the same grain wood maybe same
shade only after I apply finish will I know
but i'm liking it
DSCN3805_zpsvtlfyldy.jpg
Now that's some good work Montana! You want to come over and do my old CVA Kentucky like that! :grin:

Respectfully, Cowboy :thumbsup:

It's a shame they didn't do what the Finns did on their M39 rifles for WW2. Since wood was in short supply they pieced the fore stocks using finger joints. They looked good.

The joint looks good. To hide that joint wrap a piece of wet rawhide around it and stitch with sinew. It will shrink to fit.
NorthwestTradeGun.jpg

Hey, Montana. I haven'the been by the forum for a while. You did a really nice job with your rifle. That is a piece to be proud of. Glad you're having fun. :hatsoff: - John

Just got my Traditions Kentucky rifle kit in .50cal, can not wait to start to put it together. And then then I will have a flint lock, next may be a Brown Bess. :)

Just throwing out a tip here.

When joining the two piece stock, you can use old aluminum antennae tubing in the ramrod channel (epoxy it in) as well as the two pins, and it will make a sound stock. A 3/8" ramrod will slide right through the old aluminum antennae tubing (check the piece you use first to be sure).

I prefer to use a wood spacer when joining the two piece stock (which has been mentioned). Make the spacer a bit larger then you need as you can file it down to fit nicely when taking some wood off the over sized stock.

I've put a few of these rifles together for friends who've ventured into muzzle loading and needed a starter rifle. IMHO, they're pretty good rifles.

Good luck and have fun with 'em. :thumbsup:

Next time some one puts one of these together it would be great if they posted a step by step tutorial with lots of pics.
Take any intimidation factor away from us less experienced builders.

I have built a Kentucky pistol kit (percussion) and that was fun. Taken deer with my percussion Hawken. It is a Cabelas short barrel rifle. I really need to take a deer with a flinter. The traditions Kentucky kit is my best option at this point and am scouring the earth for tips.

Thanks for listening.

Jay

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "dainty out the stock" Does that mean to decorate by carving the stock? If so, I'd say that as long as you don't carve over the joint you will be okay. Keep any heavy carving away from the joint and you will not compromise the strength of the joint. Most regular carving is only about 1/16 inch deep so it should not be a problem so long as it is on the lower part of the forestock where the wood is thicker but stay away from the upper part of the forestock near the barrel channel where the wood is very thin. Make your design so that there is a gap in the carving at the joint. You can make your design so that it jumps over the joint and still looks quite normal. Wire inlay that crosses the joint should not be any hinderence to its strength since no wood is taken away.

You can hide the joint by wrapping a piece of sheet brass over it and tacking it in place to look like a repair of a broken stock. Many old original stocks are seen having such repairs.

Latest posts

Back