• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Kentucky rifle build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanlpuckett

40 Cal
Reaction score
Just completed work on the Traditions Kentucky Rifle. Total time invested two weeks off and on. My second traditions Kentucky, with the first being a Caprock. The build was strait forward. A first for me was barrel browning, it also was a straight forward process, with pretty good results. I upgraded the traditions lock for really no reason supporting the extra costs associated with the up grade, as I could find nothing wrong with the supplied lock. There were some inletting issues, as much wood was required to be removed for installation. The upgrade is a L&R replacement lock, made to fit the CVA, and Traditions kits. I purchased mine from TOW, great people and very knowledgeable. I yet need to brass black the ramrod, and oil it also. The rifle was stained and finished in three coats of minwax tung oil. Will try and post some pics now hahaha 😆
20230609_161019.jpg
20230609_160920.jpg
20230609_160906.jpg
20230609_160858.jpg
20230609_160824.jpg
20230609_160839.jpg
20230609_160820.jpg
20230609_160757.jpg
20230609_160741.jpg
20230609_160650.jpg

Awesome ! Have one myself and love it.
This is my second Kentucky, the first is in caplock, have had it for around seven years now, never once fired. Though am looking forward to taking this one to the range 😀

Nice! Lucky you, your forestock appears to have a decent grain pattern. I'm jealous, mine was weird on one side. 😁

I noticed that there are many irregularities with these, as in one kit may look better than the other. My first build was pretty much devoid of any grain. This kit however, was pretty much devoid of a lock and lock plate mortise, some wood had to be removed from around these areas to make them more pronounced / stand-off..decent kits in all, but would love to have a kibler lol

That's a kit well done. Traditions guns aren't noted for their looks - the Crockett being an exception - but a kit can be built well enough to end up with a handsome, at least, rifle.

Thank you sir, I appreciate that! A little extra work went a ways, making reliefs for the lock and lock plate mortise, where as before nearly blended into the stock. Put in a little inlay, blacked the brass and browned the barrel. But the lock upgrade was probably the best of all the extra work. Looks a bit more authentic 😉

Thank you, much appreciated 🙏 hopefully I can find out this weekend, should be a fun range day 😉

Alignment is spot on, will just require some wood removal, especially around the sear. I found that if there is any pressure against the sear the hammer will not lock into position, or will lock ever so lightly creating a unsafe condition. You will need to remove a tiny bit if you want to use the bever tail, or round the lock. I wish I had just rounded the lock, it would have been a tighter fit. In the instructions there is information on how to do it. I hope this helps. The two photos in the raw, the first is the factory lock, you can see the small reces that were removed to accommodate the L& R, second photo.

best

Ryan
20230603_134329.jpg
20230603_133955.jpg
20230615_085754.jpg
20230615_085723.jpg

Good afternoon, she sparks pretty well, and flashes the pan everytime. I went to test it over the weekend, and completely forgot to swab the barrel of oil, in that I drenched the barrel with WD-40, after having browned it. Long story short, the powder was ruined and that was that. Waiting for my rod to come in the mail, then I will pull the ball, clean and dry the barrel. Maybe I can take her back by the range Friday.

Best

Ryan

DSC03652 (2).JPG
If you would like a better trigger pull take the trigger and pin through the stock like the custom rifles I did and got a creedless crisp lighter pull I also upgraded the lock
DSC03652.JPG

Okay, I am very interested in this, can you explain this step by step? Right now I have a crappy pull, a very very crappy pull, it take a bit, using the second joint of my finger to pull the trigger. Its so stiff, that I thought it was in half cock. I have to check to see if the stock may be squeezing against the seer. I say this because when I listen the lock screws a tad, it has a much lighter trigger pull. I dont know how to go about the aforementioned modification on the Traditions given the trigger plate ties in the barrel.

Best

Ryan

Back