• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditional only

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here in Iowa there are no restrictions on what kind of muzzle loader you use. Having said that and hunting on private land owned by someone who works for game and fish the original intent of an early muzzleloading only season in Iowa was to give primitve firearms weapons hunters there own special season.It is held in October. Regular gun seasom for deer is restricted to shotguns using slugs and also muzzleloaders.Now that we have in-line rifled scopes it brought more people into muzzleloading.I shot a GPR 50 cal. with patched round balls so I am at a distinct disadantage as far as the distance I shoot cmpared to in-line shooters so I just honed my hunting skills to compensate.Ipersonally have no problem with in-line muzzleloading hunters but it would be nice if they would have two different muzzleloading seasons and I think that would solve the debate once and for all. I have hunted on public land and tried to stalk up on deer just to have them shot at and killed from out to 250 yards away from someone using an in-line so I can understand the frustration of people who use the "primitive" style of muzzleloader.Intent and reality of the law is a pretty gray area anymore.

Hey Shortjack,

That early ml season down there is for residents only, right? or have they changed it?

Thanks

~Riley
(the jealous)

Yes Riley it is only for residents only. They did open a non-resident holiday muzzleloader aantlerless only season but deadline for app. was from may 6-june4 If you want to you could call Iowa dnr and see if they filled the quota if not you still might be able to apply.Not many out of state hunters want to hunt antlerless only they usually want a good buck with a nice rack.Every year they open a January bonus season for antlerless only in certain counties and last year they included high powered rifles,otherwise its shotgun or muzzleloaders only.20 years ago most tags were for bucks only but now with so many deer in Iowa you can shoot any sex. With all the head hunting not enough Does are being taken so I dont see way they could not open two seperate muzzleloader seasons, one for traditionalists one for in-lines. :

Funny thing about Iowa though, they dont have a rifle season, because of safety concerns, and High population density. So how then is it OK to use a ML(plastic gun) that has ballistics on par with some centerfire calibers??? Just a thought, seems to me the regs people have fallen behind the 8 ball on that one.

Back