• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditional sidelock vs NW legal non-traditional front stuffer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crawl on your belly up a tiny little depression for the only cover available through bunches of hedgehog cactus and lava rock for a couple of hundred yards.

I guarantee you will be singing a different tune and fast!

I've hunted eastern style and western style both and quite a bit at that. What @Idaho Ron is saying is factual in much of the west but not everywhere. But, sometimes you don't get a choice on the ground you are able to hunt or even get a tag for.

Lot's of hunters come here to Colorado to hunt elk and bring their tree stand with them. If you really know the country and elk, the tree stand can work. But they don't act like whitetails at all and when you do figure out a spot where you can hunt from the trees you are probably going to be looking at a long arduous hike with the stand on your back!!

But, all that said, I'm not a long range muzzle loader hunter so I go out of my way to be in the thick stuff.

Kudo’s to Idaho. At least Idaho hasn’t caved into to the bribes that are being thrown around to allow the Tradition’s Nitro Fire loading powder in a capsule from the breach like Indiana did in spite of much protesting. The damn thing has to have a BATF form 4473 filled out, which says in itself it is not a muzzleloader.
Most of the people I have known that shoot non traditional ml’s never switch to the traditional side of the hobby. They are in it to lengthen their hunting season only. Excuse the rant but I’m glad a few states are holding the line.
I switched from inline muzzleloaders to Traditional Muzzleloaders, I still have my CVA Acura V2 50cal inline. But I haven't touched it, after hunting with it, one season in Montana. Ive always been interested in Traditional Muzzleloaders, ever since my dad took me to a Mountain Man get together, 33 years ago In Salmon Idaho. I had a blast that day throwing tomahawks & shooting Hawken Rifles. I always hunted with regular powder burners. But I bought the CVA Acura V2, thinking I would enjoy it as much as I did, that day when I was 12, but I didn't. I recently bought a pair of Pietta 1858 Remington Army 44 Cap & Ball revolvers, one for myself and one for my father, & I bought a 50cal Investarms 120B Hawken Rifle for myself, and I bought my father a slightly used 50cal Traditions Springfield Hawken Rifle. My 12 year old son, has started showing interest, & I plan on getting him a Hawken Rifle as well. Hopefully my wife, & other children will show interest soon also.

Latest posts

Back