• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditional muzzleloaders only

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting answers fer sure. I've always been a gun aficionado too, but only traditional black powder firearms interest me now. To me, nothing beats shooting a flintlock on a frosty morning.

I have been doing a lot of traditional shooting the last couple of years but keep a few unmentionables that I would have a hard time replacing. I am shooting a few thousand rounds a year out of my small bores and that brings me a lot of pleasure and I feel that it makes me a better shooter with any weapon. I do however only load my other weapons (minus 22 ) with ammo that I have developed and hand loaded to my specs.

I participate in shooting, competing, and hunting with all forms of firearms, but for the past few decades most all my local(resident) deer and small game(fur) has been done with a flintlock and traditional archery.

Has a shotgun shooter for the past 74 years I always shoot the originals they handle well and shoot better than those repro rubbish .
Feltwad

I am an old widowed guy who lives alone at the end of a dead end road out in the county, my closest neighbor is about 200 yards away. My place is the perfect target for a crack head home invasion so you better believe I am ready should that occur. I practice with everything a good bit, I have a 50 yard range alongside my shop. I understand one has 3 seconds to react if a home invasion starts and I can be slinging lead in about two seconds from anywhere in my house.

On the flip side, all but two of my B/P guns are flintlocks, my 50 yard range comes in mighty handy for my other passion, building and shooting B/P guns.

99% of my gun time these days is m/l's . BUT , when appropriate , especially when I spend time in the back woods , and just so i'm not "out gunned" , out fanged , or need to make some fool hesitate until can retreat ,unmentionables are in order. Plan "B" is messy......tomhakin , Hope I never have to go there. I've been in too many tough scrapes ,have seen the Elephant, and sadly wish the 99% m/lers was completely 100%. I'm pretty far down the road , my religion says , all is well, won't need m/l or the other at the end,,,,,,,,,,,,oldwood

I shoot traditional muzzleloaders....3 flints & 2 cap guns. Nothing else interests me anymore.
That’s me. I shot my first ml rifle and that day lost interest in my other guns. I was seventeen.Before two years was up I had sold or traded off my modren guns. Didn’t get a breechloaders again till I got married at thirty. Then got a few for defense only as they are easier for my wife to use.... a small shot gun saver her on two occasions
Just get no fun at all from them newfangled guns

I don't like flintlocks, very distracting to have a spark and flash go off six inches from my eye. You can have my share.
There is a reason almost all flintlocks were converted to caplock in the 1830's and 1840's, they don't work in the rain!

I love my BP, but since I live in an un-incorporated area with a small cluster of houses and the next neighborhood is a good distance off.
I like to know that if I need to - I can "reach out and touch someone" and with more than a single round.
I won't say what this ________ is, but it fills that need, and it's a lot of fun.
This drill I do is with a couple of friends. 5 rounds - 200 yards - limited to 1 minute time.
Loser buys lunch at the local eatery. On this particular day, I got the honor of buying lunch.
This particular __________ gets taken out to 1K yards regularly.
Since home defence is an important part of why I arm my home, I see this as a necessity, the Holy Black is my main hobby though.
If you would like to see the _____________ PM me and I'll PM you a picture.
The red bullseye is .72"
Scan_20201220 (3).jpg

Yeah, I have plenty of modern guns for the problems of modern times, and I like shooting them, but my favorite guns and what I shoot the most are the ones I load from the front and use a rock for ignition😃

I like and enjoy all types of muzzleloaders rifles, revolvers, smoothbore cap lock, flintlock what ever may wonder my way. But also enjoy the modern weapons and their various applications, pistol competition such as IDPA, Police combat pistol and the such, Especially enjoy the distance shooting with the modern rifles so I guess as to hunting it is a 50/50 thing. Would like to be more involved in the traditional woods walk competitions but they are almost non-existent In my area. Any time I can shoot is a good time what ever I squeeze the trigger on.

Griz, how do you pm I would like to see and hear of this. I also enjoy the long range shooting.

Click on the name/pic of the person you wish to PM - then click on the "start a conversation" button on the new page.

You can check your messages via clicking on the outline of a small envelope, located near the RH end of the tool bar at the top of any page.

At 78 , I was fortunate to grow up & live in western states that mostly respected our individual rights. My passion has always been history, collecting, competing & hunting with traditional muzzleloaders, both original & custom built.
I've always carried a modern handgun concealed to fend off attacks from the 'entitled', especially when my work required travel through rough eastern cities, yep I was packing illegal in these American places but I felt it was my right.
During the mid-90's I invested a few thousand to stock up on a few evil looking black guns, clips & ammo thinking some government agencies would try to disarm us Americans.
Unfortunately, here we are 25 years later & have been ravaged by the wrinkle monster & am using my knobby arthritis fingers to dust off my politically incorrect tiny-bored hi-capacity clip-fed black arsenal in preparation to do battle.

Last edited by a moderator:
While the ethnological' traditional' varies I shoot only traditional , mostly .
Rudyard
When black powder all side lock cap TC .50 , Pedersoli .50Frontier , Lyman plains rifle , .50and .54
barrel. Jukar.50 pistol 1858 New Army .44, colt 1848 Wells Fargo .31 ,Ruger New Army .,44
air Beeman San Anselmo .17 and Beeman .20 RWS and others ctg.

Buzz

In the past 25 plus years have typically hunted big game in three states. Can not remember half a dozen animals taken with a non muzzleloader rifle. Only a few taken during so called ‘muzzleloading’ seasons. A few were taken archery tackle, during both archery and rifle seasons. No idea how many taken with a muzzleloader during rifle seasons, but that is the count leader by a large margin.

As far as organized shoots, shoot Milsurp type stuff (think pre 1950, maybe 1911 or 1906, a few pre 1900) a few times a month, but always bring a muzzleloader or two or three for range time after any match. Probably practice with bows or crossbows (backup as I have a bum shoulder that acts up periodically) in the backyard three to five times a week if daylight permits.

And for full disclosure, hunted planes game in Namibia with a modern gun as I could not secure blackpowder for my flintlock ahead of time, but that is a different topic and story.

Back