• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditional muzzleloaders only

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im the kind of traditional shooter who regularly sells my modern guns to buy another muzzleloader 😄

Attachments

• 20201116_204626.jpg
    20201116_204626.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 116
  • 20200406_141200.jpg
    20200406_141200.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 116
  • 20201202_184019.jpg
    20201202_184019.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 122
  • 20190615_115852.jpg
    20190615_115852.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 115
  • 20200404_152711.jpg
    20200404_152711.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 118
I love my BP, but since I live in an un-incorporated area with a small cluster of houses and the next neighborhood is a good distance off.
I like to know that if I need to - I can "reach out and touch someone" and with more than a single round.
I won't say what this ________ is, but it fills that need, and it's a lot of fun.
This drill I do is with a couple of friends. 5 rounds - 200 yards - limited to 1 minute time.
Loser buys lunch at the local eatery. On this particular day, I got the honor of buying lunch.
This particular __________ gets taken out to 1K yards regularly.
Since home defence is an important part of why I arm my home, I see this as a necessity, the Holy Black is my main hobby though.
If you would like to see the _____________ PM me and I'll PM you a picture.
The red bullseye is .72"
View attachment 55087
Great Shooting.

Let's face it, any one can drop a big game animal at a long distance with a centerfire, but it takes a greater skill and cunning to drop a whitetail with iron sights at closer distance. I have a great respect for those longhunters and mountain men of the past, who made their living trapping and shooting game for self preservation.

I shoot some modern stuff from time to time but I shoot traditional muzzleloaders far more often. I’ve found the skill to shoot a traditional muzzleloader is far more difficult than a modern rifle and I enjoy the challenge and history.

I shoot some modern stuff from time to time but I shoot traditional muzzleloaders far more often. I’ve found the skill to shoot a traditional muzzleloader is far more difficult than a modern rifle and I enjoy the challenge and history.
Yes, you're right. It takes greater skill, and concentration.

Let's face it, any one can drop a big game animal at a long distance with a centerfire, but it takes a greater skill and cunning to drop a whitetail with iron sights at closer distance. I have a great respect for those longhunters and mountain men of the past, who made their living trapping and shooting game for self preservation.
That's the primary reason I gave up hunting with ______ a few years ago. I love stalking and tracking, and the thrill you get when the smoke clears and you have to go look for blood because you never saw the hit through the smoke. Now that I am retired, I have the time to scout and pick my spots way ahead of hunting season. I have time to spend at the range and keep my skills proficient. Since it is just me now and my boys are all into raising my grandkids I have lots of time on my hands.

It’s dropped off a lot, and I’ve been shooting my unmentionables much more.

I miss the muzzleloaders, and right now own no Muzzleloading rifles of any kind after selling my Ohio rifle. I am thinking on having a builder make me a Schimmel styled Lehigh fainter soon while I am deployed overseas.
The Lehigh rifles are beautiful in style and function. Simple yet elegant. Mine is the Pa. Mtn. Rifle. It was from Cabin Creek Mz.

Traditionals for when I want to shoot. If there ever comes a time when I will HAVE to shoot, (mortal danger, like following up a wounded leopard in thick brush) I want the most lethal, dependable, modern and efficient thing available.

I was thinking about this past year and the shooting and hunting I've done. 100% of my hunting was done with a flintlock. Probably 98% of my plinking/target shooting was with a traditional muzzleloader. It got me to wondering, who all here shoots only traditional muzzleloaders?

Thanks
I do. Currently flint lock only.

I do. Currently flint lock only.
I've got plenty of modern guns, most of which never see daylight, but to me no other gun looks as fine or is as fun to shoot as a traditional muzzleloader. And I really like the well used older guns. The patina, bumps and scratches of an old gun seems to tell a story about the guns history.

I ain't into playing like I'm Jerimiah Johnson or Daniel Boone; those days are gone! I shoot traditional ML Hawken style rifles because I like that style and I enjoy seeing how well I can make them shoot and they shoot way better than most people think! In 70 years of shooting I've shot just about everything available....including a 105MM Howitzer...for Uncle Sam!

I agree. My 50 caliber Thompson Center Hawken percussion is my favorite muzzleloader and it's very accurate.

99.99% traditional for me, it's what brought me back to firearms after the Army (where I shot from all from small arms, .60 machines, to tanks...yup, I was demolition engineer)
I only own Flintlocks and a couple percussion (flintlock being my favorite) until a year ago when the wife I figured we needed a couple moderns, just in case...these days.

Traditional for target plinking and hunting and modern on the side just incase i have no choice.

I pack a lever action unmentionable when horseback in the back country, but I sure do love shooting my new Frontier percussion rifle. It is a truly unique experience. I see a flintlock sometime in '21....Pedersoli makes a nice Hawken...

I don't like flintlocks, very distracting to have a spark and flash go off six inches from my eye. You can have my share.
There is a reason almost all flintlocks were converted to caplock in the 1830's and 1840's, they don't work in the rain!
Each their own, I honestly think the flash got my attention the most when I shot my first flint.
I’ve shot flinters in the rain and had cap poppers not shoot. Rain takes care. Experience says if you can load the one in the rain you can load t’other

Latest posts

Back