• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditional ML Season Support Base.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
are you saying no gps's, walkie-takkies, flashlights or any other post 1850's equipment?

I don't think he's saying that but if he's around this weekend he can answer for himself of course.

(I'm sure Gore-Tex will be allowed so the other stuff will be)
::

I am not going off into the woods around here before sun up without a flashlight! A man could get shot that way. There are 12 sections of government ground just south of our property. There is private ground in there also. The GPS not only helps me not get lost, it allows me try and stay off the private ground. I hate having tresspassers mess up my hunts, so I try not to be one.

I am not going off into the woods around here before sun up without a flashlight! A man could get shot that way. There are 12 sections of government ground just south of our property. There is private ground in there also. The GPS not only helps me not get lost, it allows me try and stay off the private ground. I hate having tresspassers mess up my hunts, so I try not to be one.

Completely agree...I love muzzleloaders and have worked all the way back to Flintlocks, but I still wear & use modern, warm, dry hunting clothes, boots, knives, flashlights, compasses, etc...there are some things that I do not go into the woods without at any time:
Compass
Knife
Fire
Cellphone

And if there a chance of darkness, then a flashlight too.

PS: I'm on record saying if anyone can locate a place that makes 2XL-Tall, fleece lined, thinsulate insulated, gore-tex covered, washable, simulated buckskins, I'll buy a set !!
:front:

For the purpose of this thread the requirments would be a ML gun of the pre cartridge era, fixed open sights, prb this this is about the guns and type of gear on the guns and fired from the guns that seperates the old from the new, it has nothing to do with how we get from the house to the woods or whether the barrels are made of iron it is about form and function and staying as close as posible to the technology of the past, the pre-cartridge era cut off will help avoid adding or attempting to add modern stuff under the loose association or commonality by evolotion loophole, it may not suit everyones needs or desires but that is exactly what it is all about.....something special.
and had you read the post you quoted the last sentence would have answered your question.

TG,..... I agree, it's the weapon and it's componets. None of which have anything to do with, transportation, cloths, scents, sandwichs, and etc. (as our "critics" often claim :youcrazy:)

YMHS
rollingb

Many other things seem to get tossed in the ring to confuse of maybe create a defence of the modern stuff whenever traditional hunting is mentioned, the definition I put forth is quite liberal I believe, one could easily put a fixed sight on a TC or other semi traditionaly styled factory gun, shove a rb down the tube and as Jackie Gleason would say "away we go" the primitive sights and prb would level the playing field as far as ballistics and max sighting range efficency and plug and loopholes that might be exploited in the future as well, it is just a matter of state by state if there is an interest or game population situation that would support it.

For the purpose of this thread the requirments would be a ML gun of the pre cartridge era, fixed open sights, prb this this is about the guns and type of gear on the guns and fired from the guns that seperates the old from the new, it has nothing to do with how we get from the house to the woods or whether the barrels are made of iron it is about form and function and staying as close as posible to the technology of the past, the pre-cartridge era cut off will help avoid adding or attempting to add modern stuff under the loose association or commonality by evolotion loophole, it may not suit everyones needs or desires but that is exactly what it is all about.....something special.
and had you read the post you quoted the last sentence would have answered your question.
o.k. then. it's only about gun and not the equipment. so it would be o.k. to also use night vison equipment? is not gps etc... modern stuff?

o.k. then. it's only about gun and not the equipment. so it would be o.k. to also use night vison equipment? is not gps etc... modern stuff?

Walt,.... I'm curious to know how a hunter shoots a deer with a GPS??

you are quite right sir. you can't but, how can i justfy to my dnr that in a primitive season, only the gun counts? would not that be like ( god fobid) using a in-line and saying all my other equipment is pre 1890's?

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink it. We all know this saying, and it proves a point.

Some refuse to acknowledge the truth as long as it fits in their agenda.

It is to bad this even has to be an issue! Shouldn't everyone be trying to save and portect something of our past?

Inline hunters have no stomach for saving primative hunting, and if they did they wouldn't be using them. Instead they ohly have stomach for more deer.

We have two different agendas, one is save primitave hunting, and the other is fill the freezer no matter what!

Too bad the states did not step in to stop this mess before it started.

you are quite right sir. you can't but, how can i justfy to my dnr that in a primitive season, only the gun counts? would not that be like ( god fobid) using a in-line and saying all my other equipment is pre 1890's?

Walt,.... I think the DNR is smart enough to know you use the "gun and it's componets" to shoot a deer.

"NOT" yore, pickup, GPS, camo-pants, bic-lighter, wrist-watch, cover-scent, binoculars, bug-spray, and etc.

It's only about the gun and what's in for me..could be one day I might get into the other aspects of traditional type things, but as of now I just like to put the kits together, and hunt with them.
It's kinda like a joke I thought of...Two cave men sitting around the fire one night and one was telling the other about a big saber tooth he had killed that morning..and he said "the cat came at me and I hit it on the head with a stick and killed it"...The other cave man said..."You mean you used a stick"?
So in my opinion traditional is a kinda never ending thing..I just enjoy the parts I like.

It's only about the gun and what's in for me..could be one day I might get into the other aspects of traditional type things, but as of now I just like to put the kits together, and hunt with them.
It's kinda like a joke I thought of...Two cave men sitting around the fire one night and one was telling the other about a big saber tooth he had killed that morning..and he said "the cat came at me and I hit it on the head with a stick and killed it"...The other cave man said..."You mean you used a stick"?
So in my opinion traditional is a kinda never ending thing..I just enjoy the parts I like.

Hoyt,.... Thet is exactly right, and altho I dress in traditional braintan leggins, and start my campfire with flint and steel, neither of these things (among other traditional "garb and equipment" I didn't mention) are required to actualy "hunt" with traditional muzzleloaders and componets!! (despite the claims from our "critics")

YMHS
rollingb

why not make the season truly traditional? all i'm asking is why not go full bore. dress,hunt and play the part. it seems the current way has only allowed the non-traditional problems to fester. this would be the season i would fully support. if not, then whats the point?

why not make the season truly traditional? all i'm asking is why not go full bore. dress,hunt and play the part. it seems the current way has only allowed the non-traditional problems to fester. this would be the season i would fully support. if not, then whats the point?

Walt,.... Are you suggest'n thet Conservation Officers become "thread-counters", and traitional muzzleloader seasons should become "juried events"??

Walt,.... Are you suggest'n thet Conservation Officers become "thread-counters", and traitional muzzleloader seasons should become "juried events"??
yes.

Oh, I can just see that...now every game warden will have to go to school for training in historic clothing...not to mention the mess the politicians would make. Seriously though...seems to me this is making a tempest in a teapot sort of thing. If someone wants to go primitive...so be it..if someone wants to just use traditional muzzleloaders...and not get into all the other areas of it..so be it. I cannot believe that there are folks that for whatever reason would feel uncomfortable that the guy across the river is not wearing PC gear. Frankly...and while I am not totally knocking the "primitive" thing..making it another add on season...I dunno...that sort of is like the inline crowd..another deer thing. Just my opinion, of course. Bottom line, wear what you want. Just wondering though..to be totally correct as to period..don't think any mountain man, plainsman, Civil, revolutionary, French and Indian War soldier ever wore blaze orange...hmm.

yes.

Walt,.... "Who" is go'n to pay for all the additional man-hours such "historical reasearch" would require, to educate conservation-officers by which to enforce such regulations????? (or, should only "history major's" be hired as conservation-officers??) :hmm: :haha:

Oh lordy! Official button police with badges and guns!!! Kind of makes the tent discussion over in the other forum more interesting! Oh No! I hunt in Jethro's beat and he will arrest me if I use a pyramid tent! Give me a tarp sir!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back