• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Track of the Wolf or Jedediah Star kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powderhorn09

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking to build a Southern Mountain or Early Tennessee and am vacillating between these two kits. Pretty much the same kit except the Track rifle would be a 54, my personal favorite, as opposed to a 50 from Jedediah Star. The JS kit would be about $50 cheaper with comparable wood. Have built kits from the Track before, full stock 54 Hawken and a 40 cal Poor Boy. Have any of you guys used the kits from Jedediah Star or have a preference between the two?
Thanks,
Powderhorn09

:idunno: $50. dif ? on a $600. kit ? That is not worth typing about.

Personally....... I don't like either one of them. The TOW kit has the wrong style lock on it. It has a Siler lock on it which is German & it should be a English lock.

The Starr kits has a L&R lock I don't like simply because it is a L&R lock & I know it would cost me a months worth of aggravation & about $75. in parts to get it to be reliable..... I also don't like the shape of their stock, as it looks like a JP Gunstocks McCoy stock.

I suggest ya order a kit from Pecatonica & get it without a lock inlet & buy a Chambers Late Ketland lock & modify it a tad & that should give ya a good lookin SMR. Now this will most likely cost a tad more, but to Me it is worth it to get the rifle correct.

Keith Lisle

Why not go to the actual source of the kit - Pecatonica River (homepage)

They produce both of the kits you are looking at and supply them to Track and Jedediah.

JS doesn't even mask the fact - read the listing at Pecatonica which Jedediah has done nothing more than cut/paste into their site.
(southern mountain)

If you had an issue with the kit, Tracks customer service would be better than J.S. (not that they are really bad - I have dealt with them, but they often ship incomplete orders if something isn't in stock - they don't tell you up front about the shortage (surprise upon receipt) and they don't back order, so you are sometimes left hangin'.

But that all comes back to "why not simply buy from the place that is shaping the blank and putting the parts together for the kit" - in this case, Pecatonica River.

I partially agree...... :idunno: However, if Pecatonica is doing the precarve, that dosen't mean they are using & selling the same pattern of that rifle. Pecatonica precarves for allot of other Venders, but the vender may own the pattern.
I know this because I've had several venders send me stocks to build to Insure they were OK, cut as they were. This is important, as they don't want to have them cut 50 of them precarved & later find out all of them have a major build issue.

So you may order a SMR from Pecatonica, but it may not be the same pattern as the SMR that TOW is selling, or J.Starr, or TVM, etc. I built a Pecatonicia SMR one time & it is not the same SMR as the one on the J. Starr site.

Keith Lisle

galamb said:
If you had an issue with the kit, Tracks customer service would be better than J.S. (not that they are really bad - I have dealt with them, but they often ship incomplete orders if something isn't in stock - they don't tell you up front about the shortage (surprise upon receipt) and they don't back order, so you are sometimes left hangin'.

While I have not dealt with JD Starr on a kit, I agree with what you have portrayed here. I have ordered several times from them and I do so now knowing that it will not be shipped anytime soon. I only order from them when I find something that I like that I cannot seem to find anywhere else and for which I can wait.

On the other hand, Track's tells you right up front what's in stock or not and an estimate of the time they need to restock. They send follow-up emails on any items ordered that were not in stock (and you knew it when you push the order button). Their customer service is second to none. I never hesitate to order from them.

I bought tracks golden age kit in .54 and am in the process of building it into a barn gun as well. I'm very happy with the kit and parts. The lock is a Jim Chambers siler, not totally correct but I don't care... I want a rifle to hunt with and USE, not be a safe queen. The kit requires ALLOT of work, patience and time. However, that's what a kits about. I've also got three L&R locks on three rifles that after finishing and fitting have given me years of zero problem free operation. If your looking for a good, bare bones barn gun kit to build, I don't think you'll go wrong with a tracks kit IMO. Have at it! :thumbsup:

Back