• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Alternative vendors to Track of the Wolf

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZigsawPuzzle

32 Cal
Reaction score
A newbie to the hobby here, currently working on stocking my first ever rifle from complete scratch (no idea why I didn't start with a kit, but here I am). I've made very decent headway by ordering things almost exclusively from Track of the Wolf, but now I'm beginning to wonder if it's something I'll regret down the line, either in terms of price or quality or anything. I have a long term goal of potentially making a name for myself as a rifle builder (laugh if you may, ill chuckle with ya) and I want to know what recommendations people have for cheaper, better, or more diverse options. Thanks in advance.

Track is just a supply house, the same as all the others. They make nothing in house. There will be nothing involved with quality of the items they have..
Your key will be to go direct to the those name brand makers that you seek.
Cost may be near the same, as wholesale vs retail is common amongst all the dealers (it's usually contract).
You have found a good place for your question(s).
Define the items you seek,, Lock, trigger, stock,,, or the whole nine yards,, and folks here will help define your search.
Again, there is nothing wrong with Track as a supply house and what they have in stock.

Track is just a supply house, the same as all the others. They make nothing in house. There will be nothing involved with quality of the items they have..
Cost may be near the same, as wholesale vs retail is common amongst all the dealers (it's usually contract).
Define the items you seek,, Lock, trigger, stock,,, or the whole nine yards,, and folks here will help define your search.
Again, there is nothing wrong with Track as a supply house and what they have in stock.
Thanks for the response, that all does make sense to me. I didn't know the price gap was virtually nonexistent between original manufacturers and retail, that's good to know. So far tooling is a big one for me, vices and chisels and gravers and whatnot, I see that track has a lot of options but I find myself wondering if theirs are the best options or if there are tools outside their inventory that are better (or more reasonably priced if that ends up being a concern). Obviously these are all things I could dig around and find out, just thought I'd check with the wise ones first. Again, big thanks necchi!

Thanks for the response, that all does make sense to me. I didn't know the price gap was virtually nonexistent between original manufacturers and retail, that's good to know. So far tooling is a big one for me, vices and chisels and gravers and whatnot, I see that track has a lot of options but I find myself wondering if theirs are the best options or if there are tools outside their inventory that are better (or more reasonably priced if that ends up being a concern). Obviously these are all things I could dig around and find out, just thought I'd check with the wise ones first. Again, big thanks necchi!
There are a few good topic threads in the builders section about tools. Stuff on rasps, chisels, files, and vices.
I would strongly suggest you spend a lot of time reading through not only those topics, but as many of the threads where a builder takes us through the whole or most of the process, look at pictures of results, read and reread explanations. This cam not only help you learn techniques and methods,, but also teach you who's advice is worth taking when there is a discrepancy between pieces of advice given. There are a lot of, "listen to me, I know," folks out there,,,,, but only a handful that truly back up what they say and are worth banking on.

A newbie to the hobby here, currently working on stocking my first ever rifle from complete scratch (no idea why I didn't start with a kit, but here I am). I've made very decent headway by ordering things almost exclusively from Track of the Wolf, but now I'm beginning to wonder if it's something I'll regret down the line, either in terms of price or quality or anything. I have a long term goal of potentially making a name for myself as a rifle builder (laugh if you may, ill chuckle with ya) and I want to know what recommendations people have for cheaper, better, or more diverse options. Thanks in advance.
Why would anyone who cares about the future of our traditions and heritage laugh at your goals?

The best option would be to find a local mentor to guide you along the way. If this is not possible, learn by doing (to include mistakes). I would also recommend selecting a pattern or historical type of firearm and learn as much about them as possible. Assemble a reference library and quality (not cheap) tools. I'm not aware of any in Washington State, but an NRA class at a local community college won't hurt.

There will always be a need for talented gunsmiths and builders. Good luck.

I buy from these:
Muzzle loader builder supply
Log cabin shop
Jim Chambers locks, and parts
Mike Brooks and Allen Martin for castings
R.E. Davis
The Gun Works
Rice Barrels
Stocks from Allen Martin
Go to local Muzzleloader shows like the CLA

track does in fact make many things in house.

As far as parts availability it depends entirely what you want to do. If you are looking at 1750 (ball park) thru 1800's (percussion) then there is a wealth of options out there, the golden age of the long rifle so to say. On the other hand you will find that if you reverse and go back to 1650's the literature, parts, information is far more difficult to come across, the golden age of pirates and exploration of the new world. The majority of people on this forum work with the what I like to think of as the modern flintlock and have a wealth of information.

It might be beneficial for you to connect with the Washington Historical Gunmaking Guild; you can find them on Facebook or with a Google search.

Many areas have local guilds or groups, though you sometimes have to search to find info.

the cheaper part for a gun builder is a warning right off the bat, in this game nothing is cheap and if it is it's not worth buying.

A usable set of parts , these days , can cost $700 To $800 +. Study what you want to build , ask folks questions , on the forum , I've tried to teach two guys to build a credible m/l rifle from scratch , and failed in the mission. Building a complex thing like a muzzleloader , is not the place to learn how to use tools. If those skills are not in your bag of tricks before you start , failure can result. LOL

Back