• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TOW Hawken full stock plains rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wondering if anyone has built or owns one of these rifles in a flint. Im really considering this as the first rifle build I take on.

I would like to hear any and all advice on this rifle if anyone has any real hands on experience or any comment on the subject

Thank u
I have had some experience with a true Hawken parts set.

I cannot think of a worse first rifle or in other words, a Hawken is not a good starter rifle for a novice builder.

A Leman or Lancaster type long rifle is a much simpler build for a new builder.

That's a good looking rifle, Tom A. Hawk.
Thank you. This rifle turned out quite well. Its a good shooter but it took me a long time to determine what load it likes best. Now I get excellent results with a .526 ball, .015" patch and 120 grains of FF Swiss. Its a heavy gun so the recoil is not too bad. Now, if I could only find somebody to carry it for me in the field...:rolleyes:

The build was not significantly any more demanding than any other flinter I have made.

This percussion Hawken was my first and most challenging.

1704570328576.jpeg

The Henry or Lehman English scroll guard in flint would be typical for the fur trade Era. The full stock flint Hawken can be an excellent rifle. I've seen a few. Several Henry and Lehman scroll guard rifles are described and patterned in Hanson's "Rifles of the Fur Trade Sketchbook".

The Lancaster styled rifles are correct with the fixed breech. My Derringer rifle has a fixed breech with wedges holding the barrel to the stock. Remove the tang bolt, the rear lock bolt, the ramrod and the wedges and the barrel is easily removed. My 1803 has the same breech and barrel arrangement.

Hawkens are the most difficult rifle to build correctly, depending on how close a kit is cut. Not to mention they are a heavy ol' pig if done like an original. I had told my brothers I would build them a rifle at cost. My younger brother wanted a Hawken, and I refused to build one for him. So, he found someone else to do it. He now knows I knew what I was talking about when it comes to weight, and regrets having went down that path.

Even the full stock Hawken they found in the river was percussion. In 1980 I built my son a scaled down replica of this J.J. Henry trade rifle, full stock and flintlock. It would be a good rifle to copy for a full stock rifle and be absolutely correct for the period.View attachment 282479View attachment 282477
Is this fullstock Hawken rifle in a museum or ? I'm writing a book on Hawken rifles and I'd like to have this one in it if possible. 573-201-1459. Thanks !

Back