• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dixie gun works mountain rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So here in the last few days we have had a heck of a response to dixie mountain / squirrel rifles. Kinda high jacked it really. I would like to hear , learn more on Dixie guns. Cause they was the shite when I started in around 1979. Anyone wanting to move Away from the half stocks and get serious with a full stock Longrifle, flint mostly ,wanted the Dixie. To me they was where kibler is today. Breaking ground For that time. Keep that in mind. I’ve owned 4 now. Not one of them did not shoot. After I dealt with lock issues.

I started shooting in the mid ‘70’s myself. Then, CVA, Thompson Center, etc. was a popular choice. Custom guns were rare and very expensive. Most folks weren’t trying to build their own guns from parts. I think Rendezvous was kind of a more family affair so most folks bought what they could afford for themselves and family.

I too remember when Dixie came out with this Tennessee Mountain Rifle. And it was considered the $hizt! I payed a handsome amount for a percussion .50. Four hand tanned deer hides and $400.

Alot of the “purists” didn’t like the Miroku barrels with “made in Japan” stamped on the side. Kinda like Harley guys. I never got to be a real good shot with mine but it did work well when I did my part.

Muzzleloading, Rendezvous, etc. really slumped after what, probably the early 1980’s? At least here in the West. It’s too bad.
By the way, Loving that .32!

Ah...fond memories! The Dixie TMR was my first muzzleloader. And it was a 50 cal. flintlock, too. The lock never failed. But boy, it sure was a boat anchor! I purchased it in about 1982. I sold it after a while.

I have the Dixie .50 cal. Miroku Jap. Cherry Stock Left Hand SMR; had the bbl. cut about 9" off to shorten a bit. Guys complaining about a maker's mark on a bbl. are the same ones who complain that a bbl. has NO marking, then they don't know what or where it came from. Just sayin'. And, if I may, re-enactors who are all OCD about lock-plate markings? NO ONE in the 'audience' can see them anyway! Nor a tang marking, or any other factory marks. JMHO. Those real early Belgian-made Dixie guns; wish I'd gotten one back then! Worth their weight in something now! ;)

The TMR was introduced in 1978. The introduction came on the heels of a very popular Muzzle Blasts article "A Southern Rifle" in June 1976 issue. The article sparked an interest in a production "poor boy iron rifle" most of the production long rifles of the day were in brass with some degree of decoration. There is a bit of confusion around the country of origin probably due to Dixie marketing a Squirrel Rifle (which was later rebranded as the Kentucky Rifle) that was produced in Belgum. The .32 TMR is also known as the Squirrel Rifle and has an "S" proceeding the manufacture number. (Leftys have an"L") I've had 4 .50s all together. ALL TMRs were made in Japan. I sold my first one named "Double Trouble" to a good friend last year and he couldn't be happier. (it was #6969) I a lefty project gun that has the funny "burnt" stock that pops up from time to time. The barrel is slightly recessed in the stock at the muzzle. the rifle has poor fitment and a broken frizzen. It needs a complete restoration. I also have two 7/8 barrel rifles. #133 which has a walnut stock and more drop at the heel and #324 which is cherry and has the standard stock geometry. This rifle has a Dixie lock that has modified internals. A5306C71-14B7-4D65-9709-1352262E640C.jpegC452D88F-1F40-4CC4-B9BB-D1DB3D2EE9F6.jpeg23C9779F-4517-4D87-B561-6ACE57C129B1.jpeg3773FC85-5FFD-4692-88A3-C8AA502A9A0F.jpegBBCDFFEE-9FB8-4ECE-AE99-F0C6285694D2.jpeg

Last edited:
I really like my .50cal. I bought it here 4-5 years ago. It's had some work done on it. Since I've owned it, the original frizzen broke, but I was lucky enough to find another. Then the frizzen spring broke, replaced it with a different one from DGW, had to drill a hole in the lockplate. Works fine, but due to parts being unobtainable, bought an L&R RPL lock just to have. Still running the original lock though. Per DGW, mine, a Miroku, is from late 1979, early 1980. I would love to get my hands on the squirrel rifle, just to own both.

Screenshot_20231214_100440_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231214_100121_Gallery.jpg

Here's the full pic of the rifle in my avatar. This is a DGW TMR that was restocked as a Lancaster-ish rifle by George L. Dech. The barrel is also turned to be 2/3 round x 1/3 octagon, which makes it much less muzzle heavy.

I bought it off the used gun rack at Dixon's about 15 years ago.

And no, the pic ain't backwards!

GLDech_Longrifle.jpg

After doing a bit of weighing on my postal scale I found my .50 X 38" X "B" wgt barrel weighed only 7 lbs 4 oz. The first .50 was an early Virginia which had to have been 9++ lbs. My .54 1841 is right at 10.5 lbs - wonder why I only hunted with it just a few times.

Here's the full pic of the rifle in my avatar. This is a DGW TMR that was restocked as a Lancaster-ish rifle by George L. Dech. The barrel is also turned to be 2/3 round x 1/3 octagon, which makes it much less muzzle heavy.

I bought it off the used gun rack at Dixon's about 15 years ago.

And no, the pic ain't backwards!

View attachment 276605
Very handsome! Great find! Dixon used to be a factory repair facility for the old Lyman's; got my LH Perc .54 Lyman there. Wish them good luck!

Very handsome! Great find! Dixon used to be a factory repair facility for the old Lyman's; got my LH Perc .54 Lyman there. Wish them good luck!

I went there about a week before my 40th birthday and saw it on the shelf. I wasn't planning on buying anything but thought, "This is why I carry a credit card."

Latest posts

Back