• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Touch Hole Picks!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Evening Folks! Got into a discussion the other day about what is a good pick. Turns out that just like everything else, everyone has opinions on this subject too. So lets see them! Probably opening a giant can of worms here, but oh well!

So here is my favorite. I make them out of blow gun darts of all things. Super strong and springy. Can be sharpened to a sewing needle point but stays strong. I stick a few of them where my possibles bag strap is sewn to the bag, in that seem. Have only lost one in 30 years. I am looking forward to this!!😊
CBD4D51A-5E10-4860-ABD9-F8E1E482DC32.jpeg

Attachments

• 6E7F2F17-8A05-4724-A504-7A70D9FDDF85.jpeg
    6E7F2F17-8A05-4724-A504-7A70D9FDDF85.jpeg
    723.8 KB · Views: 0
I'm embarrassed to admit it , but my favorite pick is those about 2" long paper clips. I just unfold one of the straiht sides , and use the rest of the clip to hold on to the thing. Also sometimes cut a piece off the paper clip , and glue the wire into a piece of deer antler , or just a hunk of shortened , leftover ram rod end. I have several of the fancy blacksmith hardened ones , but like the soft lead bearing steel wire , as I think the soft wire , is easier on the touch hole.

Vent pick choices are like wimmens every male has their particular likes, they are a good project to while away some time again just like wimens, they make nice gifts (not suggesting you give away your wimmens) and sooner or later you will mis-place one (not a bad ideal for some wimmens) eventually one might stick you ( like the wimmens collecting from your bank account) any way they look good, nice job.

I have a couple picks I bought that don't even fit in the touch hole. Maybe they were to clear nipples, lol.
And since I'm a "blower" once more, I haven't had the vent fill with crud since.

But those are sure some dandy looking picks. Nice job.

I grind and file mine down until they fit the touch hole perfectly. Probably just an OCD thing, but it works

I grind and file mine down until they fit the touch hole perfectly. Probably just an OCD thing, but it works

I wasn't sure how brittle they were, because they look forged.
I wouldn't want to make one too thin and have it snap with the slightest sideways pressure. If it was soft like a paperclip that wouldn't happen.
Just didn't want to take the chance.

I use a little wrought iron one that works fine. Amazing how many people I saw at the rendezvous I was at recently with lips wrapped around the muzzle blowing smoke out after shooting....not something I'd ever consider. Just seems bad practice. Mostly young guys, a few called them out for it but they didn't seem to care. Maybe some on this forum do it, you're a daisy if you do.... :)

Anyhow, the little pick works fine.

Yep. I'm old school.
Blowing through the muzzle with a cupped hand was taught to me by the generation (or maybe two) before me... and I did stop for a while to appease the new internet masses... but have returned to my roots. It just plain works.

You know, I probably have a gun muzzle or two pointed right at me as I type this, but you either know the gun is unloaded/won't fire, or you don't.

But we have a whole nuther thread devoted to this topic since I've been here. And probably many since before I arrived.
Maybe even one saying it's not OK to blow through a Traditions, but OK for other ML's 😇

Back